Fuel flap problem

VicGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW Golf Wagon, 97 Golf Turbo Diesel
I've had my 2012 Golf Wagon for a month, so it was time to put fuel in it a couple of days ago.
Fuel flap wouldn't open.
Went home and checked online for answers and found that it's a common problem.
Got the flap open with a bike tire tool.

Now that tool stays in the glove box.
After I had the flap open, I 'looked at' the latch. I rotated the rectangular latch into the vertical (unlocked) position by hand. Now the flap opening is 'full manual mode' - lock doesn't work.
And that's just what I want! :)
If I have more problems, I'll buy a new latch and actuator unit and leave the electrical connector disconnected.
My '97 Golf doesn't have a locking flap and it's never been a problem.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
I just use the key blade lol

A new part is $50 at the dealer. Just haven't gotten around to it. Find mine sticks more when it's stupid cold outside so I've just been dealing with it for now.

VicGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW Golf Wagon, 97 Golf Turbo Diesel
I was wondering why the paint colour on the flap was slightly different - it only shows in bright sun (not too common on the BC coast in winter... :) )...perhaps the last owner had a similar problem and resorted to the 'crowbar' method??

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta (gone), 2002 Passat (gone), 2009 JSW (VW bought), 2010 JSW
It's not a hard fix. I found that when mine was failing, I could push in on the door, hit the unlock button on the key fob, and that would allow it to release. But that got old in a hurry, so I just replaced it and cleaned out the overflow drain tube as well.

VicGuy - It was a long time ago, but our first TDI was an '06 and we bought it new. We actually made the dealer replace our fuel door because it was mismatched, even to my colorblind eyes. The passenger front door also had a different design package from the rest...