Fuel flap fun

PD Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
2004, 2015 Golf TDI
Second time now I went to fill up and the fuel flap wouldn’t open. Went for a nice long ride and now the fuel flap will open. Seems like it may be ambient temperature related. Any experience here with the actuator for the lock going bad? Thinking about unplugging it so it doesn’t lock anymore. Seems like the lock/unlock function maybe on the fritz….

Georges2015

TDI
2015 Golf
Ha. Fuel door, what an absolute pain in the rear end.

I also had the staying locked thing, started about 2 winters ago. Very intermittent, then it just decided to stop locking forever.

Then it stopped staying closed at all. Little twisty guy thing wouldn't stay in the shut position.

Know how I fixed it? I used a 3M Command strip (the velcro wall hanger things) and placed it on the flat area on the left of the door. You can't see it at all, and I can pop it open bu just using my finger to.grab the top left edge. Is it the world's best fix? No, but it's lasted almost 2 years so far!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Once its unlocked, pull back the interior side carpet, disconnect the connector, and you'll never have an issue with the mechanism again. the locking module just prevents the "press to pop feature", once "unlocked" and connector disconnected, push to pop function will act as normal.

Did it on our Alltrack and twice on our Passats.

PD Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
2004, 2015 Golf TDI
That’s kinda what I was leaning towards. Locks only keep honest people out anyway…. Kinda silly to lock the fuel flapper.

Is the plug accessible from outside the car? Path of least resistance is to probably pull the fuel door trim out and unplug there if the connection is there. Sounds like it may be inside the trunk based on what 740GLE has provided.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I always joked that my Toyota and Mazda pickups (1987-1992 era) that had locking fuel filler doors just had some leftover Carter-era remnants, and that it was unlikely to ever be an issue.

But today, maybe that type of thing may be coming back. Still, I've never had any issue with this ever.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Yeah I hate my locking door. Works and doesn't. Ended up breaking it. So when it doesn't work, a slight pry with a plastic tool and it pops open.
I've lubed it with dry lube and it doesn't make a difference.
It's a diesel so if someone steals gas.... Worse day for them.

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
Mine locked up so I just jammed the nozzle in and something broke. Never had issues again.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That’s kinda what I was leaning towards. Locks only keep honest people out anyway…. Kinda silly to lock the fuel flapper.

Is the plug accessible from outside the car? Path of least resistance is to probably pull the fuel door trim out and unplug there if the connection is there. Sounds like it may be inside the trunk based on what 740GLE has provided.
The connector is on the inside of the car, behind the trim. But if want to pull the filler neck trim from the outside, i think there's a small trox and you gotta slide it forward and out, you can just snip the wires from outside and call it good.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Mine locked up so I just jammed the nozzle in and something broke. Never had issues again.
I believe your thinking of the misfuling protector inside the fuel fill. I removed mine after a station didn't have the proper nozzle size. And I could t fill.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
I believe your thinking of the misfuling protector inside the fuel fill. I removed mine after a station didn't have the proper nozzle size. And I could t fill.
Another fine example of him not knowing what he's talking about.... similar to his views on the AEM warranty we've been discussing in other topics :p

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
Me or @sardo_67 ? I get many things wrong. I think it was you I was arguing about the aux heater about.
No that guys just mad he’s driving a turd box and is afraid of it.

I’m just an adult and I fix my car then carry on with what I’m doing. Whatever the obstruction was in my fuel fill it would not open and I was filling up at my usual station near home, probably the 40fh time and it would not go in. So I used both hands to jam it in and snap whatever that was.

never had issues again.
Seems removing a lot of the OEM crap makes these cars better.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Removing clown shoes from the equation solves everything.... the only reason why dealers started installing those guards is because red, oversized shoe wearing drivers couldn't figure out what pump to use and kept filling up with gas instead of diesel..... everyone needs their hand held these days

We just need to let evolution take its course.... :cool:

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
No that guys just mad he’s driving a turd box and is afraid of it.

I’m just an adult and I fix my car then carry on with what I’m doing. Whatever the obstruction was in my fuel fill it would not open and I was filling up at my usual station near home, probably the 40fh time and it would not go in. So I used both hands to jam it in and snap whatever that was.

never had issues again.
Seems removing a lot of the OEM crap makes these cars better.
The fuel door lock is what was originally being talked about. The beauty cover that goes over it. What you were talking about (and what I removed) is inside the filler neck and was added as a result of idiots misfuling their diesels.
So I agree with @TurboABA , you didn't know what was being talked about. That being said. No reason to be a dink to get the point across.

Or to just post to get your post count up.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Removing clown shoes from the equation solves everything.... the only reason why dealers started installing those guards is because red, oversized shoe wearing drivers couldn't figure out what pump to use and kept filling up with gas instead of diesel..... everyone needs their hand held these days

We just need to let evolution take its course.... :cool:
Agreed.

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
The fuel door lock is what was originally being talked about. The beauty cover that goes over it. What you were talking about (and what I removed) is inside the filler neck and was added as a result of idiots misfuling their diesels.
So I agree with @TurboABA , you didn't know what was being talked about. That being said. No reason to be a dink to get the point across.

Or to just post to get your post count up.
me now? I said not sure what you’re talking about but I just jammed the nozzle in there and broke something, never had issues again.

I tend to not get along with slow/dumb people so that’s fine with me, no one cool or useful has ever had a problem with me.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
me now? I said not sure what you’re talking about but I just jammed the nozzle in there and broke something, never had issues again.

I tend to not get along with slow/dumb people so that’s fine with me, no one cool or useful has ever had a problem with me.
If you had read all the posts before. You would have seen is say fuel door. Even fuel door actuator. Nothing about the fuel neck.
And because you didn't take the time to look. You have parts in your filler neck that could block fuel flow.

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
If you had read all the posts before. You would have seen is say fuel door. Even fuel door actuator. Nothing about the fuel neck.
And because you didn't take the time to look. You have parts in your filler neck that could block fuel flow.
Well ya I’m not going to read thru every post.
not an issue in the 100+ gallons I’ve put in so far.

But since I’m at the dealership yet again waiting I might read thru the comments and research if there’s a “vent-ectomy” mod on the mk7.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Well ya I’m not going to read thru every post.
not an issue in the 100+ gallons I’ve put in so far.

But since I’m at the dealership yet again waiting I might read thru the comments and research if there’s a “vent-ectomy” mod on the mk7.
Unfortunately, there isn't. Don't have to read all posts. Just skim better so you know what's being talked about. I'm not that knowing of vws either.

PD Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
2004, 2015 Golf TDI
The connector is on the inside of the car, behind the trim. But if want to pull the filler neck trim from the outside, i think there's a small trox and you gotta slide it forward and out, you can just snip the wires from outside and call it good.
Thanks for confirming. I’ll pull the carpet and unplug.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I tried to undo the screw and slide the filler bezel forward I chickened out for fear of snapping the flap or worse. I had already been behind the interior trim to wire up a trailer harness by the 12v socket, so it just took a little more finagling to get the connector.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I can't wait for your solution when the fuel door wont unlock, I'd wager you'll win out over the plastic fuel door and permanently delete it, as it's not really there for any real reason.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I can't wait for your solution when the fuel door wont unlock, I'd wager you'll win out over the plastic fuel door and permanently delete it, as it's not really there for any real reason.
Yup. I did this. Broke a piece. I was flexing the door so it still acts locked. Still have to slightly pry to get it to pop open when the lock won't rotate.