Fuel Filter Video How to...

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I have seen that video before. The only issue I have with it is installing the fuel filter dry into an empty canister and the next thing you know it is running. No prefill or vcds prefill shown. It can't be good to try and start with the canister empty.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I'm over 19K now and will probably be doing this next weekend. This fuel filter change looks much simpler than the older TDIs. No mickey mouse clips or o-rings or removing fuel lines from nipples. Cool!

My only concern is still with that first crank. I intend to clean the canister, half-fill the canister with D2, saturate the filter, and then top up as much as possible. I still wish there was a clear VCDS or key-turn procedure for priming the rest of the canister once the lid is replaced. Did we ever get a clear answer on that? :confused:

If not, I'll just crank and pray! :eek:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I still wish there was a clear VCDS or key-turn procedure for priming the rest of the canister once the lid is replaced. Did we ever get a clear answer on that? :confused:
Yes! There is a clear cut way to prime the fuel system if you have VCDS. Open the engine controller, select 04 - Basic settings, enter 35 and press go. A start/stop button appears near the top of the screen. Press the on (start) button and let both electric fuel pumps run for 60 seconds. Repeat 3 times, then start the engine. This procedure is straight from the Bentley service manual page 20-20.

It is also possible to "hot wire" both electric fuel pumps, but VCDS is much easier.

Have Fun!

Don

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes! There is a clear cut way to prime the fuel system if you have VCDS. Open the engine controller, select 04 - Basic settings, enter 35 and press go. A start/stop button appears near the top of the screen. Press the on (start) button and let both electric fuel pumps run for 60 seconds. Repeat 3 times, then start the engine. This procedure is straight from the Bentley service manual page 20-20.

It is also possible to "hot wire" both electric fuel pumps, but VCDS is much easier.

Have Fun!

Don
Yep, I have VCDS. Thanks for the confirmation.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Blue Hen,

You're catching up to us! :eek:
Yep. Stafford County VA to Kent County DE every weekend. I won't let divorce keep me from spending as much time as possible with my sons. I even swung a 4 day 10-hour schedule to get an extra day. :)

Hell, I put 27k on a 2012 Wrangler before I traded it to get back into a TDI. OPEC loves me.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Have Fun!

Don
I was not able to enter "35" when I got to the Basic Settings menu. There was a drop down menu with several options, but the text box next to "Go" would not allow me to enter anything.

Hmmm.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Dana at Ross-Tech followed up on my tech request email promptly. I think this is the answer:
Special Notes

If the vehicle uses the latest KWP-7000 (UDS/ODX) engine controller, conventional Basic Setting group numbers do not apply. Instead, choose the Transfer Fuel Pump (FP) test or similar operation from the drop down menu followed by [Go!] to activate the Basic Setting. The EDC should display "Running" and the electric fuel pump will run. After the result of Finished Correctly appears click [Stop].

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Is this just done once then or three times?
Once. VW manual says run the sequence, which should be about 3 minutes. Then start the car and let it idle for a while, then shut it off. Then check for any fault codes.

Last edited:

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Dana at Ross-Tech followed up on my tech request email promptly. I think this is the answer:
Special Notes

If the vehicle uses the latest KWP-7000 (UDS/ODX) engine controller, conventional Basic Setting group numbers do not apply. Instead, choose the Transfer Fuel Pump (FP) test or similar operation from the drop down menu followed by [Go!] to activate the Basic Setting. The EDC should display "Running" and the electric fuel pump will run. After the result of Finished Correctly appears click [Stop].

I just finished the fuel filter change. The car started immediately. :)

So, the steps that work for an NMS TDI:

1. Remove old filter.
2. Use turkey baster to empty canister.
3. Clean canister.
4. Fill canister half full with clean fuel.
5. Insert new filter and screw cap back on canister.
6. Run the "Transfer Fuel Pump Test". I did it for about 30 seconds. After I hit "Go", I walked to the engine and listened. I could hear the fuel system priming and air being forced out. Pretty cool. Note that you have to manually stop the test. It does not complete itself, or at least I didn't wait long enough for it to.

By the way, the old filter and canister showed no signs of metal particles, rust, or any nastiness whatsoever. Great peace of mind!

Sandhopper

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Thanks for all of the inforamtion on this procedure, I will likely be changing mine out soon at around 15K so this is very helpful.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
What is the interval that the dealer will change the fuel filter at?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD