Fuel Filter Change

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
I did my FF change out of neccessity(sp) last night..I have been running BIO and trying several fuel stations to find a good one. So the wife says see jumped on it and down shifted and it wouldn't go anywhere, I drive it and it runs pretty good. So I push it harder and then I feel it drop off at about 3800 and it levels out, it couldn't go any higher because not enough fuel flow. So over to the shop to change er out. I had 24000 miles on it.

The 5 screws that hold the lid on are torx type. My lid has the air bleed screw as well. So after removing the 5 screws, I use a mini-bungie strap to hold the lid towards the driver seat, out of the way of the canister. You dont have to remove any hoses. I tried pulling the element out with the canister in the car, No way, it is seated tight, so I pull up on the canister and remove it over to the bench, clamp it into the vise and then I used the old two screwdriver to pry on the element from each side. once removed I sprayed brake clean inside to remove the sediment at the bottom. The old element was Coal black, the new is picture white color. I lube the orings in the filter, install, replace the gaskets, lube the lid gasket, when installing the lid onto the canister, you have to make sure it is keyed, there is a little post that fits into a indentation on the lid. Install all the screws before tightening any of them, tighten them evenly, using a cross pattern(like on a wheel). Once finished I loosened the bleeder screw and cycled the key two times, I could see the fuel out of the screw from the drivers side door. Started the car, it started right up and smoothed idle was observed. The bleeder screw has some anti-tamper goop in it that you have to dig out, I guess its VW's way of telling if the filter had been changed before.

While I was in there, I saw some breathing mods that I could get away with in the intake tract..(I was checking the condition of the AF). So I started playing in the intake tract, also studying the Mass flow sensor, which has a protective grid in front of it. VW did an excellent job of designing the airbox for these. Its sort of a ram air, with temp control(hot air to speed warm up), air diffusers to redirect the incoming air to fully utilize the full surface of the filter. Intake ducting to seperate water from the incoming air and drains to redirect the water. VERY good engineering, I only saw a couple of places that I could/would modify it.

So buy and buy--the FF difficult part was prying the element out of the canister..Go ahead and remove the canister from the car and clamp it into a vise if you have one. The canister pulls straight up and is just held in place with pressure clips. the internal part that holds the element(shaft) is plastic and spring loaded, so this is where you have to be careful.

Could do again in ten minutes...Take your time the first time.

Strack

Veteran Member
fuel filter

great info- thanks... Too bad the PD fuel filter cost 50% more than the ALH series and requires the removal of top canister. I prefered the drop in style replacement of the previous ALH models.. Progress?

lildevildee

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/6spd manual
Yeah that filter is in there good and tight, lol. We changed ours early due to some questionable fuel we had and the filter took a while to get out since we weren't sure if we needed some special tool to get it out. We dumped the fuel out of the cannister and StElmo eventually pulled the two apart. We filled the cannister with PS after putting the new filter back in.

Yes, drop-in style is nice but this system really is so much easier to change than the A4 fuel filters. Compared to the A4s, yes, it is progress.

Mach1

TDI
Devil, I remember you mentioning your change, its tough getting the element out, the inner shaft is plastic as well, so I was afraid I would break it. Was yours coal black, like mine was?

Mach1

TDI
Mine was clogged, but from 24000 and B20...Did you guys pull yours off the mount or do it in the car?

lildevildee

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/6spd manual
Pulled the canister out, dumped the fuel, played with the filter for a while (didn't want to break anything,) got it out, replaced with new filter, put canister back in, primed with PS, etc. I've run some bio whenever possible but don't get to use it on a regular basis :(

lildevildee

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/6spd manual
Yes, 10,000 miles. We had a potential tank of bad fuel and decided to take precautionary measures instead of waiting to find out. $26 for the filter is cheap insurance in my book :) We have it documented on the Fuel Filter Change post by StElmo.

Mach1

TDI
Good move on the ff change, dont want to say, I took out a $10000 motor to save the $26 FF. I waited way too long as it went 24000, but then I lost some good power, I run at least B20 every tank.

Remember, FF and any maint done is not based on just miles, or hours, or manufacturer requirements...Its the driving conditions and DRIVER thats determines Maint. intervals...

Diesel fuel consistancy varies SO greatly that I have seen 5000 miles change intervals, Thats a good reason to add an additional secondary filter. It only takes one tank to wipe out todays sofisticated fuel injection systems. This is where you dont want to skimp...

Mach1

TDI
Yea, those PRE-pump filters are great for a visual indicator, good for Bio as well, I tried to get some ordered, but could not get a returned email..

rwg0831

TDI
Jetta TDI, 2005.5, Black
I had the same problem as Lildevil. I had noticed a considerble drop in mpg so I thought I had gotten some bad fuel, figured I'm doing my 10000 change might as well change the filter just in case. Apparntly I had gotten more than one bad tank cuz my filter was coal black. Guess its a good thing I did it. It didn't take to long but that filter is a pain in the butt.

farfrumsanity

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta-2005 Reflex Silver A-5
I was wondering if you noticed which way the fuel enters the filter, to the inside or the outside. I wonder if I could put a drain valve in the bottom, to allow draining water out like the Mk-4 fuel filter, and need to know the entrance side of the filter. Thanks for any information you can provide.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
farfrumsanity said:
I was wondering if you noticed which way the fuel enters the filter, to the inside or the outside. I wonder if I could put a drain valve in the bottom, to allow draining water out like the Mk-4 fuel filter, and need to know the entrance side of the filter. Thanks for any information you can provide.
From what I recall reading here, the early A5s had a bleed hole in the center of the cover, so I would guess that it is from the inside to the outside.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
You could put a drain valve on the bottom, if you wished and had room.

But the screw on the top is intended to be a water removal point.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=270819 see the linked pdf for a good description and photos.

Unfiltered fuel is on the top, bottom and around the outside. The only clean fuel is in the annulus between the filter and the black center assembly, and inside a portion of the center assembly.