Fuel Filter Change...

tailpipe

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 8, 2006
Location
West Texas
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI DSG
Tim, guys, I appreciate the answers. I will do a little more research. It has been my experience with other diesels if the filter or filter housing is full and you either cycle the lift pump or manually pump the filter up the vehicle starts with no problems.
 

RAST

Veteran Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Location
Chicago
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI
I've been following this thread with some interest since I want to do my own maintenance on my new Jetta.

So I took a look at my fuel filter and I don't see anything that looks like a bleeder screw. In case I'm missing something :) I took a picture.




I don't see a bleeder screw, so I'll probably have to hook up a Pela to draw the fuel through the filter to get the air out. Anyone have any other ideas?
 

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2005
Location
Dearborn Heights, MI
TDI
05.5 TDI
RAST said:
I've been following this thread with some interest since I want to do my own maintenance on my new Jetta.

So I took a look at my fuel filter and I don't see anything that looks like a bleeder screw. In case I'm missing something :) I took a picture.




I don't see a bleeder screw, so I'll probably have to hook up a Pela to draw the fuel through the filter to get the air out. Anyone have any other ideas?
With the cover removed, and the new filter in place... just fill the canister to as near full as you can get with Diesel, then replace the cover. Crank it til it starts, and you should be good.(you have 20K on it already?)
 

tailpipe

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 8, 2006
Location
West Texas
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI DSG
Tim, Rast, yes this is what I have. Let me say this about filling the filter with raw fuel. I am a greenhorn on the TDI, but I own a class 8 truck and do my own maintenance. It doesnt take much contamination to foul up an injector. In the big truck I usually siphon out of the main tank into the small holes on the outside perimeter of the filter, this actually filters the fuel. Two other options at least on a big truck are to fill up the filter with Howes or Power Service or fill the filter with automatic transmission fluid.

I know I know, my particular injector pump can handle this with no issues, I would never use transmission fluid on the tdi.I may be off base but I would be careful of pouring raw unfiltered fuel into the cannister.In the shops most use a primary secondary filter and a portable 12V pump and pump the fuel out of your tank.

Someone with more tdi experience may have a simple procedure.

Tim, thanks for the advice, Rast thanks for the pictures...
 

tailpipe

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 8, 2006
Location
West Texas
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI DSG
Rast, what I planned on doing when the time came was to remove the top move it to the side and pull the cannister off the vehicle . This is in theory, when I try this it may not work. Hopefully I can put fuel in the inlet side of the filter. Time will tell.
 

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2005
Location
Dearborn Heights, MI
TDI
05.5 TDI
tailpipe said:
Tim, Rast, yes this is what I have. Let me say this about filling the filter with raw fuel. I am a greenhorn on the TDI, but I own a class 8 truck and do my own maintenance. It doesnt take much contamination to foul up an injector. In the big truck I usually siphon out of the main tank into the small holes on the outside perimeter of the filter, this actually filters the fuel. Two other options at least on a big truck are to fill up the filter with Howes or Power Service or fill the filter with automatic transmission fluid.

I know I know, my particular injector pump can handle this with no issues, I would never use transmission fluid on the tdi.I may be off base but I would be careful of pouring raw unfiltered fuel into the cannister.In the shops most use a primary secondary filter and a portable 12V pump and pump the fuel out of your tank.

Someone with more tdi experience may have a simple procedure.

Tim, thanks for the advice, Rast thanks for the pictures...
You make a valid point about the "filling with un-filtered fuel', so why not Stanadyne or some such... ?

(as we used to do it)
 

farfrumsanity

Veteran Member
Joined
Feb 13, 2005
Location
Wintersville,Ohio
TDI
Jetta-2005 Reflex Silver A-5
I guess VW feels the water drain on the MK-4 was unecessary, and the bleed screw on the 2005 Mk-5 also unecessary, so additional filtering quality is unecessary. The threads state the Cat filter has a better micron rating than the VW.
 

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
Joined
Oct 23, 2005
Location
Kentucky
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
farfrumsanity said:
I guess VW feels the water drain on the MK-4 was unecessary, and the bleed screw on the 2005 Mk-5 also unecessary, so additional filtering quality is unecessary. The threads state the Cat filter has a better micron rating than the VW.
Without looking I could've sworn that our A5's had bleeders in the middle. If it wasn't raining I would go look.
 

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2005
Location
Dearborn Heights, MI
TDI
05.5 TDI
tailpipe said:
Tim, Rast, yes this is what I have. Let me say this about filling the filter with raw fuel. I am a greenhorn on the TDI, but I own a class 8 truck and do my own maintenance. It doesnt take much contamination to foul up an injector. In the big truck I usually siphon out of the main tank into the small holes on the outside perimeter of the filter, this actually filters the fuel. Two other options at least on a big truck are to fill up the filter with Howes or Power Service or fill the filter with automatic transmission fluid.

I know I know, my particular injector pump can handle this with no issues, I would never use transmission fluid on the tdi.I may be off base but I would be careful of pouring raw unfiltered fuel into the cannister.In the shops most use a primary secondary filter and a portable 12V pump and pump the fuel out of your tank.

Someone with more tdi experience may have a simple procedure.

Tim, thanks for the advice, Rast thanks for the pictures...
Note: when I changed my MKIV filter, I filled it half way with Stanadyne, and then cranked it until it started, which was almost immediately...
Never a problem with air in the line or anything else that would indicate a fault of any kind.

You could use an external filter, and filter a few quarts, and bottle them for use as 'filter change" fill-ups.
 
Last edited:

whitedog

Veteran Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2004
Location
Bend, Oregon
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
RAST said:
I've been following this thread with some interest since I want to do my own maintenance on my new Jetta.

So I took a look at my fuel filter and I don't see anything that looks like a bleeder screw. In case I'm missing something :) I took a picture.

I don't see a bleeder screw, so I'll probably have to hook up a Pela to draw the fuel through the filter to get the air out. Anyone have any other ideas?
No bleeder screw in that top. Cycle the key a couple times and go; don't mess with the Pela
 

tailpipe

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 8, 2006
Location
West Texas
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI DSG
I feel a lot better now, I like the fill up with a fuel treatment, bump the starter a couple times and go.

thanks guys...this is a pretty good group...all learning..see ya.

Mike
 

RAST

Veteran Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Location
Chicago
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI
Thanks everyone - I'm nowhere near the 20k yet but I couldn't figure out where that valve was.
 

RAST

Veteran Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Location
Chicago
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI
Mine was built June 11th 2005. Strange that they were built so close together with different parts. :confused: Not a big deal I guess :D
 

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
Joined
Sep 15, 2005
Location
Tucson, Az
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Mine was built 9/05....it as the bleed screw....go figure????

It was built in Mexico.

Where were some of the others built?
 

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
Joined
Oct 23, 2005
Location
Kentucky
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
Mine was manufactured 08/05 in Mexico and does have the bleeder. I was pretty sure it did.
 

RAST

Veteran Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Location
Chicago
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI
So I guess it's just luck of the draw. I didn't get one and mine is Mexico (Puebla)

Do you think if I went to the dealer and complained they'd order me a new one with a valve on top?

I didn't think so :(
 

Strack

Veteran Member
Joined
May 10, 1999
Location
HAckensack, NJ USA
Aren't all the Jetta TDI's built in Mexico these days? My previous A4 was built there as well. My VW Fox was built in Brazil, too bad it wasn't available as a diesel stateside. I wonder if they offered it as an option in some markets?
 

lildevildee

Veteran Member
Joined
Oct 8, 2003
Location
Knotts Island, NC
TDI
2012 Jetta w/6spd manual
Rast, IMO, it's easier to take off the canister before taking out the filter than trying to leave the canister in place and get the filter out. Def. worth the extra 3 minutes it'll take instead of trying to get that filter out of there without splashing fuel everywhere.
 

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
Joined
Oct 16, 2003
Location
Gresham, Oregon
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy ALH, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq
I can't get these filters yet--but it says that the price will be ~$35ish...these are expensive filters!
Good luck, I suppose there are other benefits to MKV's! ;)
-BB
 

DieselDavid

Veteran Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2005
Location
Maryland
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI 6M, 2015 Passat SE TDI 6M, 2015 Golf SEL TDI DSG
fish_on said:
Glad I read this I have 32K on the car and I guess it is ready to be changed.
It is time. The maintenance schedule in the owner's manual for the A5 Jetta TDI (right now meaning the 2005.5 and 2006 models) says the fuel filter needs to be changed every 20,000 miles (32,186.88 km).
 
Top