Fuel Filter Change + Power Service fluid

TurboTornado

TDI
2013 Golf TDI
Greetings TDI family. Diesels are still very new to me however I am one who prefers to do all the work I can by myself. With that said, changing out the fuel filter (at 23k miles now on my '13 Golf TDI), seems simple but have been seeing all "how to's" using DVSG software.

Is this software necessary?

Some say it isn't. Most will swap the filter out and then top off with Power Service or similar fluid.

If DVSG is not needed, can someone suggest the power service fluid they use?

Thanks!
Lance

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It is VCDS not DVSG. Some cars require it and others don't. I am a manual kind of guy and try and do things by the book. If it calls for VCDS then I use my VCDS. If it calls for cycling the key three times in a row for a minute each time then I do that. There are work around for everything though and it just boils down to what you want to do and what the manual says to do. Some have even jumpered the pump to fill the canister instead of using VCDS to do the same. Even if it isn't needed for this particular thing it is a great tool to have if you work on your own car.

TurboTornado

TDI
2013 Golf TDI
Right on...I get it. And yes...VCDS. Sorry. :) I was trying to remember quickly.

Since I too like to work on my own, and diesel being new to me, is VCDS just made up of a software package and some type of interface cable?

Thanks!!!!

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
if all you need is to lok up simple codes for typical issues, no, Kobra makes a nice obd2 that works for free on your phone. or any similar obd2 scanner tool
VCDS is a free software that you can install but to interface with your car you must have the VAG-COM cable or device to interface your phone, PC, tablet, Laptop with the software. There are many different typs of cables but they all do the same thing. let you look into the brain of your car and the technical things you cant see with any other tool unless you go to some doggy hacking with cheap crap that dont work half the time. been there, done that.

for instance, if you bleed your breaks you will need this tool and software to cycle the ABS to flush it out as well or to get an air bubble out.
Or things like diagnosing AC issues, fuel issues, turbo logs for tuning, or anything involving engine mods really.

its a tool worth getting if you plan on doing your own work.

i was unaware that you need to add a fluid to the filter other than diesel when you change it.
Just swap out the filter and make sure you fill it up when you do. no reason to run any chemical cleaners or whatever on such a low mile engine.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Diesel will work fine but some use the cleaners as they are easy to get at the auto parts stores and such, already in a bottle. Mostly diesel anyway.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I'd still refill the canister manually first- just in case you goof up the electronic priming.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I would say there is very little chance the cheap a** bootleg cable will work with the modern software. There is a reason for this to stop people from cheating the developer out of his fair share for his work. Good luck! Buy up 100 of them and see if you can get any of them to work. The authentic cable is worth the money and generally pays for itself in one or two uses when really needed. There are also some used ones for sale every so often as well for a somewhat lesser amount.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Like I said before, the hacked cables and what not are extremely hit or miss. I've had one work before but you can not use a non hacked version of vcds light, not full. Waste of money. Go buy a used rosstech cable. Been there done that. Dont do it

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Just open the top of the canister, pull the old filter out, drop in the new one. Button it up and move on. Don't make this complicated. That is my method used on both a 2010 Sportwagen and my current Passat. Don't make a mountain out of a molehill. You are overthinking everything. Relax it really is simple and not a big deal. Just do it. Your car ain't gonna blow up!

Drive more and worry less as they say.

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
either OP is very confused or we are getting trolled!

Gilty_one

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Execline 3.0 V6 TDI; 2012 Jetta Highline TDI
Just open the top of the canister, pull the old filter out, drop in the new one. Button it up and move on. Don't make this complicated. That is my method used on both a 2010 Sportwagen and my current Passat. Don't make a mountain out of a molehill. You are overthinking everything. Relax it really is simple and not a big deal. Just do it. Your car ain't gonna blow up!

Drive more and worry less as they say.
Works fine this way without software assisted priming on my 2012 Jetta (CJAA) and 2016 Touareg (CNRB). Changed many fuel filters on the Jetta (about 5 times) and one on the Touareg. No issues.