Fuel filter change on 09 E320 Bluetech

NHTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
14 BMW 328D Xdrive
We want to save on maintenance so I did the 20K service on her diesel.
Oil change and filter was a piece of cake. Although 9 quarts of oil is a big difference compared to our 4 qt changes!
Anyway, do I need a special tools to change the fuel filter? I'd imagine it should be filled with diesel before I install it. Same procedure as changing out the VW's?

I tried asking over at the mercedes forum and some responses are: won't you be out of warranty if you do it yourself? That made me laugh.

Mercedes wants $400 for 20K service, so far I've spent $160 on all the parts needed.

lkchris

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle
You need a special tool, i.e. Hazet 798-2, because the fuel filter lines are clamped with CLIC clamps and Mercedes forbids use of any other type of hose clamp. It also specifies replacement and not reuse of these clamps.

http://www.hazet.de/fileadmin/media/hits_flash_e/r4-3.html

You can use the fuel pump to fill the filter, just a few on/off ignition cycles.

One really should not attempt DIY on a modern Mercedes without reference to factory procedures, and Mercedes makes this easy for you.

http://www.startekinfo.com

2slowtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Bora gone. 2006 Benz CDI 235hp 420ftlbstq
I used fuel injection hose clamps for the fuel filter lines in my 06 CDI and had no problem with the fuel lines.
I did have a low fuel presure code when the check engine light came on and I had filled the filter and used the key.
All I had to do was reset the OBDII with and all was good.
There is a lot of pressure in the fuel lines and its easy to over tighten the clamps and that will damage the fuel line.
I find it almost funny the way MB owners manuel goes out of its way to spook owners so they will not work on their own cars.
MB owners manuels have changed a lot over the years.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
We switch the clamps to the screw-type, but the good ones (Norma, Zebra...) that are like what the Germans use anyways. We've got some Sprinters that have already had 15+ fuel filter changes and have not been a problem. The hoses can stick on the nipples, a cotter-pin hook tool and a careful eye work well to get them loose.

You can just cycle the key a few times, then crack the water drain valve loose and it will fart some air out, then it'll fire right up. Let it idle for a few seconds to work any air out (it may stumble briefly). You can also manually run the lift pump with the proper scan tool, but you may not have one of those to use.

There are a lot of other items that should also be checked at the 20k service, not just an oil change and fuel filter.

lkchris

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle
I find it almost funny the way MB owners manuel goes out of its way to spook owners so they will not work on their own cars.
This is "grassy knoll" style paranoia and nothing more. Plus it's self-serving, i.e. you avoid the required work.

Here's a picture of clamps used by BMW--the head breaks off at the preset torque and they cannot be tightened any more. Manufacturers don't go to this trouble if it's not needed, and it's ludicrous to think they've done it to make your life difficult. REAL mechanics follow the specifications ... this being how you hope your airline works, too.

And anyone with any education knows that a sample of one is anecdotal.

DrewD

Veteran Member
I used regular fuel hose clamps from local autoparts chain store on my 3.0L MB engine in my Jeep Grand Cherokee with no problem at all.

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
We switch the clamps to the screw-type, but the good ones (Norma, Zebra...) that are like what the Germans use anyways. We've got some Sprinters that have already had 15+ fuel filter changes and have not been a problem. The hoses can stick on the nipples, a cotter-pin hook tool and a careful eye work well to get them loose.

You can just cycle the key a few times, then crack the water drain valve loose and it will fart some air out, then it'll fire right up. Let it idle for a few seconds to work any air out (it may stumble briefly). You can also manually run the lift pump with the proper scan tool, but you may not have one of those to use.

There are a lot of other items that should also be checked at the 20k service, not just an oil change and fuel filter.
Same here, I use them too as they are even better then the BMW clamps used to keep half arss tech's from damaging lines. If using the clamps that have the shield inside to keep the rubber from puckering up into those slots and being cut, you just need to remember you're not torquing head bolts or lug nuts, these torque in inch pounds and not foot pounds.

The cranking of the pump to fill dry fuel filter is a no-no as it's sucking air and that is extremely hard wear wise and just a few cycles is like thousands of miles. The tech's that do that are either lacking in proper training or lazy, and I suspect the later. If the Blutec is like 05-06 cars there is a valve on top for attaching vacuum pump (not air bleeder for doing it by cranking) and sucking fuel up and thru the filter. The lazy tech is why I complained to dealership about the last fuel filter change the guy did even after me telling him not to do it that way. Seems the service manager and lead tech agreed with me and guy was sent on his way after one too many complaints and mine went also to after-market warranty company.

All that said I am going to be changing mine in another 10,000 miles and that will put it about late summer and 100 degree temp weather with humidity 90% plus, if so I will be going back to dealer as I am too old turn wrenches in that kind of weather. Actually I will most likely change the filter myself early in late spring to avoid the $150 hr shop rate.

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
Does anyone know how to prime fuel filter instead of the turn key method? I looked at a video on youtube that IDparts posted, good info but the tech advised to turn the key a few times to fill the filter. I wish there was an easy way like our ALH, just fill it. Can VCDS be used to prime?