Fuel filter change 2014 Jetta TDI wagen

rocky raccoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
I know reams have been written on this already but I did it for the first time today and want to pass my experience on.

My previous ride (1983 MB 300CD) had two changeable filters and a hand pump to bleed the system. This car as you all know has one filter and no means of pumping pressure up and air out. I read all about the software required to do such a simple task and could not make myself believe in it. After reviewing a couple of YouTube videos, I just went for that method (sort of) and it worked perfectly.

I simply pulled the old filter, suctioned the canister and wiped it out then filled it to the overflowing brim with Liqumoly Diesel Purge. Inserted the new filter very slowly, letting it absorb as much as it could, then topped it off and replaced the lid. The car started right up as eager to go as ever. Quick leak check and a test drive.

I found it easier than my old Benz. What in Hell is all that software about for a simple filter change?

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
no argument that the fill the can method does work, but if you have any designs on doing other mechanic work on your car or any kind of troubleshooting the vcds cable is the way to go, reads codes, performs adaptations for things like injectors and glow plugs and allows you to unlock a few rather nice easter eggs found on higher trim levels, like window opening by key fob, and turning off the superfluous hill hold feature that will drive you nuts if you are a veteran manual driver.

asgoodasdead

TDI
2011 Jettta Sportwagen TDI
no argument that the fill the can method does work, but if you have any designs on doing other mechanic work on your car or any kind of troubleshooting the vcds cable is the way to go, reads codes, performs adaptations for things like injectors and glow plugs and allows you to unlock a few rather nice easter eggs found on higher trim levels, like window opening by key fob, and turning off the superfluous hill hold feature that will drive you nuts if you are a veteran manual driver.
I've been driving manual my entire life and I absolutely love hill holder [emoji1745]

rocky raccoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Speed: Understand, and I will probably end up buying the software. Right now however, I don't need it and will put it off until I do. I have no intention of modifying this car.

This is a nice car that promises reliability and economy. I doubt that I will ever get into it the way I did my 37yo Benz Diesel. That car provided me 9 years of entertaining old fashioned analog maintenance and was a discussion starter wherever it took us.