Fuel filler blocked

SteveS2014

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon
2014 Jetta Sportwagon fuel filler tube is blocked. The metal flap at inlet is stuck and will not allow a nozzle nor anything into the fill tube. Can anyone refer me to a location or how-to for removal or disassembly of the blocking mechanism?

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
2014 Jetta Sportwagon fuel filler tube is blocked. The metal flap at inlet is stuck and will not allow a nozzle nor anything into the fill tube. Can anyone refer me to a location or how-to for removal or disassembly of the blocking mechanism?
Best advice: Your car has warranty for these kinda things don't monkey around with it yourself. So take it to the dealer and have them repair it.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
The filler is designed to allow only the right size of nozzle to dispense fuel into the tank.

If it will not accept an automobile diesel fuel nozzle, then have the dealer fix it under warranty.

Bill

Bigwhitebeast

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
Bad advice...........if some one puts gasoline in the tank and it screws up the car, warranty might be denied. It's a new car why mess around wait till it's older and then it doesn't matter.
It wasn't advice, he asked how to remove it I pointed him to the directions! :rolleyes:

My 2012 didn't come with that stupid thing in the filler neck and it has never been mis-fueled, none of my diesel vehicles have ever been mis-fueled in the 20 years I have been owning diesels.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
My 2012 didn't come with that stupid thing in the filler neck and it has never been mis-fueled, none of my diesel vehicles have ever been mis-fueled in the 20 years I have been owning diesels.
Just because your car had not been misfueled doesn't his won't be. You are not driving his car .

SteveS2014

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon
nevermind!

I had taken my wife's word for it and when I tried to push in the flap it would not budge. Car was very low on gas but took it to the station. I COULD put the nozzle in, just not very far. Makes me wonder what kind of nozzle had she been used to?

fowvey

Veteran Member
TDI
(2014 Jetta TDI DSG) -Gone, but not forgotten, 2014 Audi A6 TDI
I had taken my wife's word for it and when I tried to push in the flap it would not budge. Car was very low on gas but took it to the station. I COULD put the nozzle in, just not very far. Makes me wonder what kind of nozzle had she been used to?
Occasionally the fuel nozzle will not go in all the way for me too. It will hang to the point where you think it is going to fall out, I just hold it to prop it up. It seems as though the spring on the nozzle is too large for the filler when this happens. I don't know why for sure though. Not all stations are like this in my area.

LarBear

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG
If the car was low on "gas" and your wife tried to refuel it she may have tried to use "gas" instead of DIESEL. The misfueling guard is designed so that it won't open if an unleaded gas nozzle is inserted since it's too small to unlock both latches on the guard. If a diesel nozzle is inserted the guard only allows the end of the nozzle to fit in. That worried me the first few times I refueled our Jetta, but the nozzle never fell out while fueling.

Since I'm the only one who refuels our car I removed the misfueling guard.

If you refer to diesel as FUEL instead of "gas" it gets ingrained and you or your wife are less likely to use or try to use gas instead of DIESEL. A mistake that has disastrous (and expensive) consequences for the HPFP, and which will likely not be covered under warranty if it was purposely done.

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6 speed (Bought Back)
If you refer to diesel as FUEL instead of "gas" it gets ingrained and you or your wife are less likely to use or try to use gas instead of DIESEL. A mistake that has disastrous (and expensive) consequences for the HPFP, and which will likely not be covered under warranty if it was purposely done.

This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VWCraig

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
2010 Golf TDI Fuel filler tube blocked

2010 Golf TDI fuel filler tube is blocked. The metal flap at inlet is stuck and will not allow a nozzle nor anything into the fill tube. Is there a special way to get this metal flap to release so I can get a fuel nozzle in?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
The flap is intended to only be opened by the larger (old unleaded) pump handles. Try a different station and/or side of the pump island. If that doesn't work, then take it to the dealer. If you remove the flap, it gives VW a chance to void the extended warranty on the hpfp. Of course, if you're over 120K miles, it won't matter and you can follow the advice in post 3 above.

VWCraig

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Filler blocked

This metal flap appears to be actuated via solenoid and looks like it's some attempt to prevent siphoning or fueling. Tried unlocking and locking doors but that only unlocks the gas door. Car has 87K on it so no warranty. Help!!

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
The flap and mechanism is not electric, a

nd is designed to allow use of a specific diameter fill tube, and resist a smaller diameter tube.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
This metal flap appears to be actuated via solenoid and looks like it's some attempt to prevent siphoning or fueling. Tried unlocking and locking doors but that only unlocks the gas door. Car has 87K on it so no warranty. Help!!
There is an extended warranty of 10 years or 120K miles on the high pressure fuel pump. From what others have posted, totally removing the misfuel adapter will void the warranty. Your best bet is to take it to the local VW dealer and have them fix it. You might get lucky and the service advisor might fix it with a pair of pliers. I could also costs you a few (under $100) to get it fixed but I would still pay that for the 30k miles more protection for your pump.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
You are way over thinking it...
Try a different pump....
It is 100 mechanical...needs the right size nozzel pushing in on both edges to open...
I cannot, for example, use a regular funnel....untrimmed...but can dribble addative past the flaps...
Trimming the funnels neck WOULD let me use it if I cut it down so it was the right width..so if I cut the narrow end off..the fatter part would fit...

PianoTunerRPT

TDI
'14 Jetta Sportwagen
It's jammed, you can fix it yourself

Hi

I encountered the same problem when I went to fuel up yesterday.

When you look at the mouth of the open fuel tank, the metal that covers it is released by two cams/levers in the black plastic housing at the mouth of the tank - one one each side of the opening - and when activated they release the metal mechanism that usually covers your open tank. They are designed to help make sure the nozzle being inserted is the right bore, and thus, act as a safety against filling up with the wrong fuel.

You can use your fingers or a screwdriver to try and work them both. They are located at about 2 o'clock and 10 o'clock.

Hope this helps.

Johnny G1

TDI
2013 golf wagon DSg
VW has a special plastic adapter so you can use the smaller or bigger nozzle, had it happen at a card lock when we first bought the car, free adapter from VW.

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta (6MT) - 1000 Mile Club (retired)___ 2015 Jetta SEL (6MT)
Bad advice...........if some one puts gasoline in the tank and it screws up the car, warranty might be denied. It's a new car why mess around wait till it's older and then it doesn't matter.
Sorry, but per the owners manual in my 2015.....there is verbiage by which WV basically warns you to take care to insure proper fueling and that it's your responsibility to insure only the proper fuel is used. Implying that damages due to misfueling will not be covered by VW. If Interested, I will quote the specific language from my manual.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Sorry, but per the owners manual in my 2015.....there is verbiage by which WV basically warns you to take care to insure proper fueling and that it's your responsibility to insure only the proper fuel is used. Implying that damages due to misfueling will not be covered by VW. If Interested, I will quote the specific language from my manual.
Well then ripp out the the misfueling device and you are on your own per your interpretation of the owners manual. Personally I have had no problems just leaving it in place. Its your car do what you like.:rolleyes:

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
VW has a special plastic adapter so you can use the smaller or bigger nozzle, had it happen at a card lock when we first bought the car, free adapter from VW.
The free adapter cost me $ 15.00 from the dealer.

I've used it for 1 year for every fillup in Mexico since they do not use the smaller nozzles. Plastic adapter was a ROYAL PIA.

Today I used two paintcan openers where I bent the bottom to a 90deg angle. Took 1 minute to remove the restrictor. Keeping it in the spare tire wheel well for just in case.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Jetta_Pilot;5327209 for 1 year for every fillup in Mexico since they do not use the smaller nozzles. Plastic adapter was a ROYAL PIA. [/QUOTE said:
ScoutX lives in Virginia not Mexico ;)