Fuel everywhere soaked into the hood

ShiftyPowers

TDI
2000 Tornado red golf
I’ve scoured the forums for a fuel leak problem similar to mine and have come up with nothing Diesel is all over the engine and the underneath of the hood dripping it seems like it’s an injector. Where should I start? I basically made it home and shut it down

Last edited:

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
Clean everything up and crank it up and see where it is coming from. Sounds like an injector like loose.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
Is the car running and starting ok?
Could just be something like one of the return lines.
Or a pump seal?
You're the one that has to look and find the leak.....we can't do it for you.

ShiftyPowers

TDI
2000 Tornado red golf
Fixed

The bolt that holds the feed line at the top of the injector was not even hand tight what is the torque spec on that nut been wanting to try my new digital snap on 1/4 inch torque wrench

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Just enough to not leak.
Seriously.
If it is leaking, and you are certain that the flare mating surfaces are not blemished, the nut is not tight enough (or the pipe is cracked from the nut previously being tightened too much). Just snug the nut enough for the leak to stop.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
The bolt that holds the feed line at the top of the injector was not even hand tight what is the torque spec on that nut been wanting to try my new digital snap on 1/4 inch torque wrench
How the heck did this happen? Someone had to have been working on your car and failed to tighten that up. (perhaps cracking a line to purge air and forgot to tighten back up?)

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
How the heck did this happen? Someone had to have been working on your car and failed to tighten that up. (perhaps cracking a line to purge air and forgot to tighten back up?)
Yeah, sh_t happens. Drove a car back from MI over 500 miles back home. Ran great. Next day I started it up and fuel was gushing out of the top case of the ip. Top case bolts were just finger tight. Tighten everything down and all was good.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I've had leaks from return lines and the injectors loosen up, but not the primary lines.

I can, however, attest as to how much fuel these pumps push. Had a return line pop out of a can while doing a diesel purge and didn't see it happen was inside the car) and that fuel pump out and all over in no time! This suggests that lots of fuel is moving through those return lines!

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
I assume that you mean nut?
I've never seen them come loose on their own before either.
As already mentioned, snug them down so they don't leak but do not over tighten or you could damage the line.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
I gotta ask: did you do ANY testing before posting or did you just open the hood and look? With that much fuel it would be very obvious where the problem is, so a simple check would be the first thing to do rather than using the computer.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I gotta ask: did you do ANY testing before posting or did you just open the hood and look? With that much fuel it would be very obvious where the problem is, so a simple check would be the first thing to do rather than using the computer.
I agree with this.

I mean, I know we are good on this forum. :D...but one has to do some troubleshooting and narrow down the choices. It is obvious it's fuel related but there are several points where it could have happened.

Here is my advice... snug, but don't over do it. I am not sure the spec, but if you have to really crank down on it (pass the torque spec) and it's still leaking, then the hard line is slightly misaligned. You may have to loosen the point where it attaches to the pump and then even up the tightening on both sides until snug.

You CAN crack the nut if you overdo it and then that requires replacing the whole line. They are stupid expensive from VW.