Fuel eco compared to ALH?

BandDingOw

TDI
none
So im in the market for my first diesel. Theres an ad on craigslist for a 2004 Tdi 5 speed with the BEW. If the only difference between the alh and bew is 10hp, Whats the fuss? im assuming a tune plus other accessories can make up for it no? Dont most ALH owners run aftermarket parts and accessories which decrease fuel economy anyways? I feel a bit discouraged from the purchase because my goal is not performance but to achieve the best fuel economy i can get without breaking the bank. All help is appreciated.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Hi

I'm not exactly sure why but the alh engine is supposed to get better fuel mileage than any other ones vw has.

If hard core fuel mileage is important .... I think you should hold out for an alh engine and 5 speed.

Maybe others can come in and explain why the mpg differences
....I'm not a hundred percent sure but that's what I gathered from all my reading and that's why I ended up with a 2003 and 5 speed and mods.

Andrew

BandDingOw

TDI
none
Hey Andrew, looking through the forums im starting to get a vibe that some of the posters with the alh that are getting 50mpg plus are doing so with the mindset of hypermiling. Closed windows when on the freeway, no A/C, low resistance tires etc. It doesnt add up how having 10hp creates such a gap in fuel economy.

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
I prefer the alh because it just seems less prone to issues. Bew engines are known to go through camshafts especially if the previous owners used the wrong spec oil.

My tdi is a boring car and I like it that way. I only own it because it's cheap to operate. I chose the alh as the best engine for my needs and I've been driving them for years without many issues.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
My ALH makes about 140/260 at the wheels, and I get right around 50 MPG. These days that includes running at 80-90 MPH on the highway. People drive faster in our COVID world. Not exactly hypermiling. I passed 800 miles on my current tank this afternoon.

Hyde7278

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GL
I have an ALH and a 06 BRM there’s pluses for bolth
My ALH is a 5spd and I have averaged 48-49 mpg over a few years of normal driving if I drive it with fuel mileage in mind I can get 55 mpg in the summer. It is very simple engine so working on it is very easy

My BRM is a DSG so mileage ave about 42-43 mpg. The biggest downfall has been the cost and more complexity of repairs. I’ve replaced the camshaft, The EGR cooler and its broke again and the flywheel so alot more things then the ALH.
The positive side the BRM has what seems like a lot more power then the ALH in stock form.

My choice would be the ALH.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Hey Andrew, looking through the forums im starting to get a vibe that some of the posters with the alh that are getting 50mpg plus are doing so with the mindset of hypermiling. Closed windows when on the freeway, no A/C, low resistance tires etc. It doesnt add up how having 10hp creates such a gap in fuel economy.
Hi,

To be perfectly honest I am not really sure why the ALH gets better fuel mileage on the average than the later diesels but it just seemingly does.

I know when you get into newer models / generations of Jettas they tend to be bigger / heavier usually so that in itself can explain the lesser fuel economy of even newer generations of Jettas

As far as why a 2003 Jetta would get better fuel mileage than a 2004 Jetta with basically the same chassis / weights just kinda boils down to the engine and efficiencies of it's design ..... what specifically causes the differences is very small changes in efficiency.

When you start getting up into or towards the 50 MPG range each percent of increase in efficiency equals about 1 extra MPG so it only requires small changes in efficiency to make a noticeable difference in MPGs

For Bigger power BUT costlier parts and less fuel economy go with 2004 and later Jettas

For lesser power but cheaper upgrades / maintenance and usually better fuel economy I would go later model ALH with possibly 2003 being the best year (last year and presumably all updates done ... I think 1999 was the first year of the ALH but there were differences in it that made later years "better" ).

Hope this helps.

Andrew

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
The usual bit of upgrades for moderate power is a set of bigger injector tips( nozzles ), a VNT17 and a tune. The small turbo upgrade is nearly a wash between the two, and the tune is the same...re-nuzzling a set of BEW injectors is more expensive. Where as the ALH has a pump, and injectors, the BEW is a pump and injector for each hole. The re-nuzzling job is more complex.

The cam is another story; the BEW has narrower lobes so the pump lobe can be fit in between. Good oil is important( right viscosity and additive package). Given what I know of oil film lubrication, a bump to 1k idle rpm would also help. This gives less time to squeeze the oil film out from between lobe and lifter.

I started with an '02 ALH, got an '04 BEW and its replacement is an '02 ALH... :) One could just take a cam replacement into consideration if picking a BEW. Break it in, and lube it properly and it should outlast the car. I wish there was a good data set to evaluate my idle rpm theory...but there isn't...LOL
cheers,
Douglas

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
My 5-speed ALH '03 (all stock) with normal driving, mix of city and highway, is getting me 42-44 MPGs. From what I read here, I feel like a failure--I should be getting more. I've not hit a 600 mile tank yet.

Then I think about my Suburban ($98 to fill on Saturday RUG) and its 15 MPGs.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
My 5-speed ALH '03 (all stock) with normal driving, mix of city and highway, is getting me 42-44 MPGs. From what I read here, I feel like a failure--I should be getting more. I've not hit a 600 mile tank yet.

Then I think about my Suburban ($98 to fill on Saturday RUG) and its 15 MPGs.
You know about venting the tank to get an additional ~2.5 gallons in, yes? Pike the knob with the filter nozzle or ventectomy it. I do the former.

Douglas

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
You know about venting the tank to get an additional ~2.5 gallons in, yes? Pike the knob with the filter nozzle or ventectomy it. I do the former.

Douglas
I have hit the little tab with the nozzle of the fuel pump, but I don't hear any venting noises. So, I fill to it stops, try to actuate the vent, then fill till it stops again. Last time I filled, my low fuel light had just come on, and I got a little over 13 gallons in the tank.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
There's step-by-step instructions in this thread: https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/what-the-hell-is-this-vent-in-ventectomy.270158/

The air escapes slowly so pushing the button for a few seconds when filling the tank won't help. If you keep the button pushed while you're filling, that can work, but removing the vent is better. I consistently get 15+ gallons in my car if I fill right when the low fuel light comes on. I think the most I've added is 17.1 gallons.

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
Always go for alh first love my bew but cost comparison is very different. Injectors are pricey new and questionable used, ive done 2 with used and had sucess, and mine saw 2 cams one cheap butter cam one colt still going good and ive gave up long ago worrying about oil quality mostly rotella blue but not religiously. Tandem pump went and turned my oil to fuel and killed original turbo, ceramic gp tip came off and killed vnt17 on its way out and peppered the piston. Still runs with 376k on it but the headgasket is leaking. If it were a alh i could put one of my several spares in it. Alh motors are plentiful bee not so much unless canada.

BandDingOw

TDI
none
Thanks everyone for the responses. Im still considering it and posted another thread in the VW general section regarding it. The original ad is pasted and i offered him $4800 which he accepted due to me having to travel quit a bit.