Fuel Cooler...

Satiro

Veteran Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Location
Spain
TDI
IBIZA 1.9TDI 110hp AFN 1998
I want to install a fuel cooler, i have a Mocal Oil cooler and only needs fittings...
my car is stock yet but i will install a VNT17,PP764 nozzles and will remap it in July...
Is necessary a fuel cooler? any issues or liabilities?
 
Last edited:

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
Joined
Sep 3, 2005
Location
Ohio USA
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
I am not into power enhancements so I am not surprised when I don't know about some sort of power enhancement, but I have never heard of a fuel cooler and I can't really imagine why you would need or want one. Intake air cooler I understand, and fuel heater for winter, but cooler???
 

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
Joined
Jan 30, 2001
Location
Victoria, BC, Canada
TDI
'01 Bora and '97 A4 1.8T Quattro (future TDI conversion maybe?)
A fuel cooler is something that helps when you've got some pretty big power mods. It helps keep your fuel pump temps down (my 11mm pump gets pretty hot after a flogging!) and, much like air going into the engine, cool fuel is more dense. At least that's how I understand it.

I'll be installing a fuel cooler and and in-tank fuel pump soon to make sure I'm not running out of fuel at higher speeds when I'm on the throttle hard.
 

Satiro

Veteran Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Location
Spain
TDI
IBIZA 1.9TDI 110hp AFN 1998
Ed's TDI said:
A fuel cooler is something that helps when you've got some pretty big power mods. It helps keep your fuel pump temps down (my 11mm pump gets pretty hot after a flogging!) and, much like air going into the engine, cool fuel is more dense. At least that's how I understand it.

I'll be installing a fuel cooler and and in-tank fuel pump soon to make sure I'm not running out of fuel at higher speeds when I'm on the throttle hard.
i'm thinking about to install a 11mm head, VNT17, PP764 nozzles... do you suggest me to install a fuel cooler and a lift pump?
Any kind of issues in cold weather with the fuel cooler?
 

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
Joined
Nov 3, 2001
Location
PNW
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
I've had mine in for about 8 months now. I just used a tranny cooler, affordable and works fine. In retrospect, I could have gone a size smaller. This is a 6 pass, a 4 pass would have been fine. No issues in the cold weather. I have it plumbed in on the outlet side of the thermal 'T' on the fuel filter. Only cools fuel after the T has opened so... cold weather starting and initial fuel warming isn't affected.
 

Satiro

Veteran Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Location
Spain
TDI
IBIZA 1.9TDI 110hp AFN 1998
FlyTDI Guy said:
I've had mine in for about 8 months now. I just used a tranny cooler, affordable and works fine. In retrospect, I could have gone a size smaller. This is a 6 pass, a 4 pass would have been fine. No issues in the cold weather. I have it plumbed in on the outlet side of the thermal 'T' on the fuel filter. Only cools fuel after the T has opened so... cold weather starting and initial fuel warming isn't affected.
Thanks a lot guy! this is a very good answer...i will mount it next month...thanks again! :)
 

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
Joined
Mar 17, 2001
Location
Reston, VA
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
anyone with an automatic has a fuel cooler. They're mounted under the car passenger side on the A4.
 

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
Joined
May 5, 2005
Location
Las Vegas, NV
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
I've never really looked, but does anyone know if they plumbed the fuel cooler into the feed or the return line on either the VE or PD engines?
 

TDIMAXIMA

Top Post Dawg
Joined
Jul 5, 2004
Location
MARKHAM, ONTARIO, CANADA
TDI
2004 4motion Passat 5 speed 1.8t
vwmikel said:
I've never really looked, but does anyone know if they plumbed the fuel cooler into the feed or the return line on either the VE or PD engines?
On my pd100 2004 the fuel cooler is on teh passger side. I beleive its cooled on its way back to the motor. I could be wrong.
 

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
Joined
May 5, 2005
Location
Las Vegas, NV
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
TDIMAXIMA said:
On my pd100 2004 the fuel cooler is on teh passger side. I beleive its cooled on its way back to the motor. I could be wrong.
So, I assume by "back to the motor" you mean it is on the feed line?

From the illustration in etka it kind of looks like the cooler is on the feed line.....but the illustration seems inconsistent so I wouldn't trust it 100%.
 

TDIMAXIMA

Top Post Dawg
Joined
Jul 5, 2004
Location
MARKHAM, ONTARIO, CANADA
TDI
2004 4motion Passat 5 speed 1.8t
im not sure. it either cools teh return or feed line. I guessed the feed line because it was on the right. I was able to lower my fuel temp with a full tank and slowin teh car down. Kinda of a hassle. A new remap, and coreected injectors may help me, however im looking into a fuel cooler.
 

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
Joined
Nov 3, 2001
Location
PNW
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
The principal should be... cooler belongs post IP on the return line back to the tank. I don't know about the OEM cooler routing but... no point trying to cool fresh fuel from the tank that's already at or near ambient temp.
 

KROUT

persona non grata
Joined
Aug 26, 2005
Location
JAX FL
If hot fuel is going back to the tank does that not heat up the whole tank. So the tank is not as close to ambient temp as you think. I have mine hooked up between the filter and pump. I tried it both ways and the fuel temps are close hooked up either way.
 

TDIMAXIMA

Top Post Dawg
Joined
Jul 5, 2004
Location
MARKHAM, ONTARIO, CANADA
TDI
2004 4motion Passat 5 speed 1.8t
The goal is to bring the entire fuel system temp down. It heats up significantly in teh motor, espeically modded. It seems ideal temp would be less then 70c. Can anyone keep it that low? krout, how did you set yours up? u have part numbers?
 

KROUT

persona non grata
Joined
Aug 26, 2005
Location
JAX FL
I have a mocal 10 row oil cooler mounted in the stock side mount inner cooler location. The is a pic in my gallery I think.
 

TDIMAXIMA

Top Post Dawg
Joined
Jul 5, 2004
Location
MARKHAM, ONTARIO, CANADA
TDI
2004 4motion Passat 5 speed 1.8t
Now that I have a FMIC, I should have some space there, however I wonder what the heat will be like. I cant find your gallery. Who did you install. What else did you have to purchase? What are you temps after the and before teh fuel cooler.
 

Satiro

Veteran Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Location
Spain
TDI
IBIZA 1.9TDI 110hp AFN 1998
FlyTDI Guy said:
I've had mine in for about 8 months now. I just used a tranny cooler, affordable and works fine. In retrospect, I could have gone a size smaller. This is a 6 pass, a 4 pass would have been fine. No issues in the cold weather. I have it plumbed in on the outlet side of the thermal 'T' on the fuel filter. Only cools fuel after the T has opened so... cold weather starting and initial fuel warming isn't affected.
I want to install a 4 pass cooler...will fit the size of OEM hoses in the new cooler or is needed a bigger hose?
 

KROUT

persona non grata
Joined
Aug 26, 2005
Location
JAX FL
TDIMAXIMA said:
Now that I have a FMIC, I should have some space there, however I wonder what the heat will be like. I cant find your gallery. Who did you install. What else did you have to purchase? What are you temps after the and before teh fuel cooler.
I did it myself. I just used a flat piece of steel and mounted it to the cooler and used the factory bolt whole for the old inner cooler. I have the bumper off I will take a pic.
 

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
Joined
Nov 3, 2001
Location
PNW
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
You'll need a few things including a length of hose. I used 5/16" ID which closely matches the 8mm OEM hose. The barbs on the cooler are 3/8" but worked out fine.

 

TDIMAXIMA

Top Post Dawg
Joined
Jul 5, 2004
Location
MARKHAM, ONTARIO, CANADA
TDI
2004 4motion Passat 5 speed 1.8t
Krout yours looks nice. I noticed three hoses going down to your cool. Can you explain. Fly TDI, yours look much more simple. Where did you mount yours? What type of cooler is it? where can I get?
 

KROUT

persona non grata
Joined
Aug 26, 2005
Location
JAX FL
Fly's look like a tranny cooler they work great for fuel coolers and are way cheaper than what I used. There are only 2 lines the other one is a boost hose going to the upper pipe for my boost gauge I just zip tied them all together.
 

TDIMAXIMA

Top Post Dawg
Joined
Jul 5, 2004
Location
MARKHAM, ONTARIO, CANADA
TDI
2004 4motion Passat 5 speed 1.8t
KROUT said:
If hot fuel is going back to the tank does that not heat up the whole tank. So the tank is not as close to ambient temp as you think. I have mine hooked up between the filter and pump. I tried it both ways and the fuel temps are close hooked up either way.
Whats easier?
 

KROUT

persona non grata
Joined
Aug 26, 2005
Location
JAX FL
It only takes 5 minutes to switch them all of the lines are right on top. Its just as easy to hook them up either way. If you have vag-com measure fuel temps with it hooked up in the return line. Then change it to hook up btween fuel filter and pump and measure temps again. Go with whatever makes the largest drop in temp.

Not sure what you mean by how do you know if its a 2 line?
 
Top