Fuel cooler for upgraded ALH

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
Background info: I am going to be shooting for a 235/375 for output on my ALH powered wagon.

1)Question for anyone around that output and high numbers guys, do you use a fuel cooler with your 11mm(or larger) injection pump?

2)Is it necessary? I'd like to build it so that it's a really reliable car to be driven daily.

3)Is the fuel cooler a huge help/does it make a palpable difference or is more of a precaution for long term driving?

4)What's your personal opinion on it, regardless if you have it or not?

TNguy

Banned
TDI
2005 Jetta BEW 5 speed
Last edited:

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
I was thinking along the lines of the one that my sedan has. It looks like an aluminum heatsink that's bolted on to the floor, just underneath the passenger side of the car.

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
I was thinking along the lines of the one that my sedan has. It looks like an aluminum heatsink that's bolted on to the floor, just underneath the passenger side of the car.
Those came stock on the PD and 11mm (auto) ALH. I installed one from a parts car on our ALH wagon. Might as well throw one on if you can find one, studs are there, bolts right up.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
You can run a small simple rad in front of the car to use as a fuel cooler. Should be a lot more efficient then the under car setup the PDs have. That's what I was going to do on my ALH. I've still got te rad sitting in a box in my garage, lol.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
Those came stock on the PD and 11mm (auto) ALH. I installed one from a parts car on our ALH wagon. Might as well throw one on if you can find one, studs are there, bolts right up.
Yes, that's the one. I have one on my sedan.

You can run a small simple rad in front of the car to use as a fuel cooler. Should be a lot more efficient then the under car setup the PDs have. That's what I was going to do on my ALH. I've still got te rad sitting in a box in my garage, lol.
I am fitting a FMIC upfront, I'm not sure If I can fit one in, plus running heaps of new lines in there isn't really something I want to do. I think the same as my sedan will work. I haven't managed to scrape that off the car yet! :p

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Yes, that's the one. I have one on my sedan.
I am fitting a FMIC upfront, I'm not sure If I can fit one in, plus running heaps of new lines in there isn't really something I want to do. I think the same as my sedan will work. I haven't managed to scrape that off the car yet! :p
You should have lots of room not having the SMIC in there anymore.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
After a bit more research and consultation, I've decided to use a stock auto ALH fuel cooler in the stock location. It requires no extra fuel lines to be plumbed, less complicated, will suffice for my needs and I should be able to find one in a junk yard.

panthers89fan90

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI
Depending on whether your fmic is same side or pass thru, you could definitely use either of the side grilles for a cooler. My fmic is a same side so I could use the driver's side grille.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
Depending on whether your fmic is same side or pass thru, you could definitely use either of the side grilles for a cooler. My fmic is a same side so I could use the driver's side grille.
Mine will have a pipe on each side. I am also planning to use oem Bora foglights in the lower grille opennings. They're going to be occupied. I think the easiest location would be the stock location. The wagon won't be a really low car, so I'm not worried about the part being on the bottom. If I havent managed to rip off the one in my sedan yet haha.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
Oh, yes! That's a very large radiator WITH a fan, too! I think that's more than my set-up will require.
I'm sure the temperature drop will be much more significant with a core that size. It's likely more efficient vs a stock one, as well.
This set up will unlikely suffer from heatsoak.

Tero P

TDI
Golf MK4 Estate ASZ 379hp, Passat B5.5 Estate 4motion AVF 365hp
I have to do that because PD engine heats up returning fuel so much.
After 15 minutes at idle the fuel pressure dropped 1,1bar to 0,5 bar because fuel was so hot.

No problems with that anymore.
Now fuel temp stays same with outside temp.