Fuel cap replacements - does generic from Wally World fit?

dqa

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP: 1999½ New Golf GL TDI satin silver
Looking to replace the fuel cap for my 99.5 Golf, which runs $47 from Impex or $50 at the dealer. (part 1J0201550F)

The Walmart caps all look the same - apparently there is a standard size and thread. But as we all know, VW is not about to let American standards get in the way of their design.

Does anyone know whether the Walmart caps fit?
If so, can I cut slots in it to fit over the fuel door?
Any other ideas?

dqa

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP: 1999½ New Golf GL TDI satin silver
This thread talks about Stant part numbers for caps that fit and discusses cap dimensions.

Green "diesel only" fuel caps as well
Thanks for the link. I came across that the other day. I wasn't sure whether Walmart carried that particular size. The Stant catalog hanging from a chain in the store surprisingly didn't list VW, so I bought all three, figuring I'd check it out and return the two that weren't appropriate.

Unfortunately, the sizes available at my Wally World were 10817, 10818, and 10825. Meanwhile, the sizes cited in that other thread were 10830d (green) 10835, and 10501d (green locking).

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Will generic caps seal? You don't want that since a diesel tank is supposed to be vented. Seems that era of TDI vents through the cap.

Last edited:

RCE1

TDI
Golf
I got a green locking Stant marked Diesel from Amazon. Bought the model number listed here and it's been awesome. Only issue is it doesn't have a leash on it, but so far, I haven't managed to drive off without it.