Fuel Additive suggestions?

Hintertux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI DSG Candy White
In my old B4 I used to use Red Line Diesel Fuel Catalyst when I had to much white smoke... Not an issue with the Bug, hopefully anytime soon.

What additives are folks using in their TDI Bug, how much, how often and why?

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
Huge subject; search 'additives' in the Additive subforum and start reading ;)

For you area, however, I would recommend either Optilube Summer or Summer+ as you need no winterizing formulas.

Lots of other people will recommend lots of other products as well, that's why I suggest reading up on the subject while you can :D

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Chances are you don't need any additive. Then again using a good additive is not likely to cause any problems.

Hintertux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI DSG Candy White
Yeah, I have read several posts on the subject with regards to my old B4... But with the newer engines I have not yet had the time to research it... So my question was with respect to the vehicle (Beetle 2013) not so much in general.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
My personal view is that the CR TDIs do benifit from an additive so it would make sense to use one. I've found a measurable 10-15% increase in fuel economy using Optilube compared to straight diesel; so it is worth it to me to continue.

flydiesel

TDI
2013 Beetle
I always ran Stanadyne Performance Formula in my '06 Jetta PD and noticed better economy with it...so I've ran it in my 13 Beetle TDI since the first tank..about 10oz at every fill up. Can't hurt...peace of mind I suppose for lubricity and higher cetane.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
My personal view is that the CR TDIs do benifit from an additive so it would make sense to use one. I've found a measurable 10-15% increase in fuel economy using Optilube compared to straight diesel; so it is worth it to me to continue.
10-15%. that's a ton. What were you getting before and now?

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
Without I got 41.05 average over 2 tanks. With I got 44.56 average over 2 tanks. It's actually about a 9% increase; sorry. I guesstimated and was a little high there ;)

I am still conducting more testing currently to see how it does; but it definitely does show improvement.