FSD Koni Freqency Selective Dampeners

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
This is the best shock :) I have ever owned. They are worth every penny and the install, not the easiest. The cars ride improved so much, like its a more expensive car. Like it gained a thousand pounds and the wheelbase grew.

I have the exact opposite of what many others posted, the car is much quieter. You can not feel the imperfections in the road. I have hearing problems, and road noise is the worst thing for me, causes my head to ring. The FSD's cut vibration way back. As though the fluid does not transmit sound or motion like gas, you would think the opposite. If ride comfort is a priority, there is no other choice. That is until bilstein gets ther version on the market.

They handle bumps much better, no bang. The diffference is huge, night and day. The feel at 60 mph is nice, there was no slop at all. I can hardly wait to get them on the pike so I can feel them out at high speeds. The Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires will be the icing on the cake for ride improvement, The last mod is to get rid of those rotors and pads, they are noisy, EBT ceramic pads with stock Brembo rotors.

Last edited:

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
wjdell said:
This is the best shock :) I have ever owned. They are worth every penny and the install, not the easiest.
What about installing these specific dampers was harder than installing others? What pitfalls did you run into? I am getting ready to do mine next week and would love to hear your experience.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The CV did not want to come out of the wheel bearing housing on my 06. I did not try to force it and changed dampers without removing the CV, very tight without that clearance. I think removing the tie rod would be easier and it would swing to one side. But you need a press to get the tie rod off, if I ever do it again that is how I will do it.

You have to remove the wipers and plastic cover to get a torque wrench in the top. The CV's can not bend to much or you can cause damage, Keeping them supported was easy on passenger side as you could wire it to the sway bar. Getting the proper torque on the damper was not easy the 5 mm hex I used is twisted. You can use a opensided 22 mm O2 sensor socket for the front. The wheel bearing bolts were 2 5USD apiece must be replaced. Along with ball joint nuts 6, sway bar nuts 2, and the housing nuts 2. 6 bolts for the front coil overs on top and 4 for the rear. If you have a 13/16 impact flex that will make the rear easier.

You need a second person if you follow the instructions. The wheel bearing bolt must be loosened no more than 90* on the ground brake applied. Then when in the air someone must hold foot on brake. Same for install as 133 lb + 180* is a bit of torque.

You will need a 14 mm triple square - the spreader is a must
Follow the Bentley instructions. Follow all torque specs, replace all nuts and bolts neccessary.

I am disabled and it took me over 7 hours to do the front, my wife operated the brake. I had a helper but he had to leave. I like to take time, never rush. I always triple check each step.

Last edited:

mel72349

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 New Beetle manual
I just had a set of Koni FSDs put on on our 2k6 NB TDI. I added the VW front spacers and kept the OEM springs. The installation was all straight-forward.

(As to DIY, yea, I know-should have put them on myself. But I'm getting to the age where jacking up the car one corner at a time and crawling around out in the elements just doesn't have the same appear as when I was younger and poorer.
)

We commute about a hundred miles a day, in mixed hi way (75+ mph) and war-torn urban stop-n-go torture streets. I wanted to sharpen handling response and improve the ability to eat up bad pavement, but not at the expense of ride comfort.

My initial impression is the car feels tighter and less jittery. Sharp bumps are now a single muted event, with no trailing-off vibrations. Fast corners seem more composed and bumps do not throw us off course as with the original shocks.

FYI, the shocks were $530 and installation @ an indie shop another $295. IMO, it's a bit pricey, but we plan to keep our Dzl Btl for a good long time, and so feel it was a worthwhile investment.

Last edited:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
KONI FSD is clearly a well thought out solution. Far superior to many of the mix 'n' match spring/damper combos I've experienced.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think changing springs is a mistake - If I wear these springs out then I would get stock ones. The geometry of a car is complex to change. I also would not rec a 17" or 18" rim. The 55 series tire on a 16" rim is best all around. Price is allot less, more tires available in that size, ride, 45 series is harsher ride, economy, less revolutions and weight. I love the look of the VV rim, but it was a mistake as far as ride. I would have been better off wearing out the original tires and then buying the 16 rims that I liked.

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
Sounds like the install on my A4 will be a little simpler. Thanks for the perspective.

J double R

Fail Train Conductor
TDI
'00 Golf 4 door
install on the A4 is fairly straightforward, as long as someone didnt install your previous suspension with an impact gun, forcing you to have to grind the nut out of the mount.. (grrrr)

but the FSD is DEFINITELY a worthwhile upgrade.. lex, we've spoken about this before. ;)

silverbox

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta wagon 2003 silver
WJ I share your enthusiasim I have had FSD's for over 2 years now, and I'm still impressed. The added feeling of solidity was my first impression as well.
If i may suggest Michelin Pilot exalto A/S for tires. You will get that same(wow I bought the right thing) feeling again.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I found the Pilot Exalto A/S -its a high performance tire 45k tread life. But I wanted to stay in the Luxury Touring type tire.

Tires were decided by 3 factors
1. wet performance and resistance to hydroplaning
2. noise level
3. tread life.

I also had to find it in a 225/45/17. The three best luxury touring tires were

1. Michelin MXV4 Primacy - 175.00
2. Bridgestone Turenza Serenity - but this was a V tire with shorter tread life in a 225/45. 205.00
3. Conti Pro Contact SSR - 144.00. - To difficult to get replacement
4. Goodyear Response Edge - probably the best tire for the money 122.00.

The Conti may have been a all around better tire than the Goodyear, but not with water or noise. In a 16" the Bridgestone is the longest rated tread life of 740 but in a 17" it was only 400.

I will never own a set of Conti's again they failed due to defect and I could not find any tire dealer within 50 miles to help. I am sure the new SSR is a better tire. They were wearing beautifully and still had 6/32 on the tread with 32k. They were only 10/32 to star,t so I was on my way to hit 60k when a belt separated.

I had two MXV4 Primacy's installed yesterday and they are the best tire I have ever heard, or not heard. I should say. Smooth and comfortable a night and day improvement also. The new Polyamide threads which is a new type of nylon I think, is the difference. These are 6 ply, 2 polyester belts 2 steel belts and 2 polyamide. The sidewall is 2 polyester belts. I have decided to replace the front two also will order them in a week or two. I will try to find someone with 17" rims that can use these Contis up. I have three with 6/32 tread left. If I had not gotton the Michelin, I would have gotton the Goodyear, price and resistance to hydroplaning.

Last edited:

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
They were on sale in January - 548 shipped to my door. Importauto part - They were cheaper at LTB but I live in Florida and they would have charged tax.

Check TDIParts first and they can match great if not LTB if you do not live in Florida.

Last edited:

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
alignment is not required unless you were showing signs of wear before.
wouldn't hurt though - i am doing mine but I am replacing the tires. With a very quiet Primacy mxv4. :).

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
When I changed my dampers from Sachs to Koni there was no change in geometry. The Bentley shows when alignment is required and when it is not. If you only change the dampers, then alignment is not required. If I was not getting new tires, I would not touch it as it drives well and the tires were wearing excellent. I had a belt separate so I had to replace two tires. I like them so well I have decided to replace the fronts. Anyone in Central Florida in need of 3 Conti 225/45/17 with 6/32 tread left let me know.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I could have let someone else do it but I am not a very trusting person. Instead I bought tools with what I saved. 290 is not bad, I would not do it for less.

8mm - 22 Stahlwille extra deep offest - 143.00 - these I have used four times in just two months, very nice.
complete set of external torx - S&K - 66.00
Klan 7 piece 5 lobe bit set - 57.00
8 piece Astro P sensor socket set - 78.00 - it had the 22mm opensided socket needed to torque the front dampers.

I just did a inventory of all mech tools for insurance $19,800 - I started in 1978 and it took < 15 years to break even. Every single tool has my SSN engraved on it. Mostly SnapOn they will be my sons tool set one day.