FS: OEM+ 2002 Golf GLS TDI 4 Door 5 Speed 201k - Western MA

Varkias

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Golf TDI
***SOLD***

I’m putting my 2002 Golf GLS 4-Door up for sale. And crying a little.

Details:
VIN:
Mileage: 202,000
Trans: 5 Speed with .681 5th
Sold for: $3,995

The sale includes:
-Two sets of wheels:
1) 15” OEM VW wheels with snow tires, one or two seasons left to the tread.
2) 16” BBS RXII OEM VW wheels with General Altimax RT all-season tires, have been run for two summers only, less then 15,000 miles on them.
-Thule roof rack with wind deflector
-Carpeted floor mats
-Rubber VW “monster” floor mats
-Bentley service manual
-Rear VW Gorilla Gear trunk liner
-I have three keys, valet and two remotes.

Some History:
I am the 3rd owner, I purchased the car in January of 2006 with 51,000 miles on it. The previous owner was involved in a moderate right front collision which totaled the car. It was rebuilt for me by a mechanic in Maine who at the time was primarily rebuilding cars bought at auction (and a personal friend). Since then, I’ve put another 150,000 miles on the car and have not had a single issue related to the collision. I’ve loved this car, and while I’m sad to see it go, it’s time. Hopefully it will find a good home here on the club.

With the exception of the “known issues” list below, everything on the car works; windows, sunroof, heated seats, radio, cruse control, key fobs, etc.

Most of the work and maintenance has been done by me, I have complied the best service records I could and will post the highlights further down. The short version: Oil/Filter changes every 10K with synthetic oil meeting VW spec 505.00 at a minimum, Air/Fuel/Cabin filters every 20K. Timing belt has been done twice, first by Chris Hill of Krafwerk auto at 80K, second by Jonah Erikson of Fix at 161K. The most recent timing service replaced every belt, tensioner, and roller, as well as the water pump. The car currently has no CEL issues, and passed MA inspection in April 2015.

There is no major rust anywhere on the car, the sunroof does not leak, there are no electrical gremlins. It still has it’s original turbocharger and intercooler. In 2009 a glow plug broke while they were being changed and the head had to be removed to machine out the broken glow plug, the car was not run or even attempted to be started until the cylinder was inspected. The head did not require re-tapping of the glow plug hole, the threads were intact once they removed the broken plug. All gaskets and the head studs were replaced, and the timing was locked/reset properly.

While I have made many modifications, they are all along the lines of “OEM-Plus”. I’d like to think that I made the car I wished VW had sold here in the states. A mostly complete list includes:

Exterior:
-Hella E-Code glass headlight housings with built-in fog lights
-Hella Euro red/smoke/smoke/red tail light housings
-5 brake light mod
-Tinted windows 50%, conforms to legal limit in MA.
-Red TDI badge
-TDI Sport Edtion badges
-Aluminium Skid plate

Interior:
-Heated Leather Sport seats from a 2004 2-door GTI, front and rear including all five headrests.
-Jetta style flat closing vents with illumination
-A pillar mounted VDO boost gauge (has a color matched LED, but the wiring needs work as it lights up intermittently)
-Three spoke leather steering wheel from the 20th anniversary GTI
-R line gear shift with leather boot
-integrated iPod/iPhone charging and audio with factory OE stereo system (very slick, the cable comes from the ash tray and can be hidden, works with any iPhone/iPod)
-OE sunglasses holder

Engine:
-Rocketchip Stage 3.
-PowerPlus 520 injector nozzles.
-“OMI” intake from air filter to upper intercooler connection.
-EGR cooler deleted (anti-shudder valve is still in place with block off, I have an EGT probe that I never installed ready to go).
-Upgraded clutch and flywheel (I can’t find the record of what brand they are, but they were purchased from IDParts.com in 2006).
-Stock original Turbo and Intercooler.
-Frost Heater (block heater for winter).
-.681 5th gear (provides around 11% RPM drop from stock 5th gear).
-At the time of the last Dyno test, the car was making around 125HP and 250ft-lbs.

Suspension:
-Koni RED shocks/struts installed fall 2013, set to full soft.
-New Mog “VR6” front springs installed with the Koni REDs.
-Replaced front/rear control arm bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends (right?) Fall 2013.
-New rear springs Feb 2015
-Feb 2015 new inner / outer tie rod ends (left?)

Recent maintenance performed:
-December 2011: New starter motor
-January 2012: Front brake pads / rotors / right rear caliper
-March 2012: Timing belt / Water pump at 161K
-April 2012: New all-season tires, only used in summer
-May 2013: Front wheel bearing (not sure which side, need to call shop to find out)
-March 2014: Rear brake pads / rotors / left rear caliper
-Feb 2015 repaired exhaust leak (installed used stock down pipe + cat section)

Current known issues:
-Intercooler mounts are broken, been that way for a LONG time, never been a problem
-Passenger side windshield washer has broken clips and won’t stay attached to the hood, still sprays, just only the bottom 2” of the window…ish.
-Rear hatch lock can’t be manually operated with the key, the lock cylinder is broken. Still works fine via the key fob / interior switch
-Paint is not awesome, there is some fading, scratches, and chips.
-Windshield washer fluid level sensor does not work, always thinks the car is low, I replaced the sensor, still didn’t work so I disabled it via vcds.
-A/C compressor clutch is bad, I have a brand new A/C compressor w/clutch ready to go into the car, will be included in sale, buyer responsible for installation.
-Minor rust to the hood lip from rock chips, a couple spots on the rear hatch, and to the lower rear front quarter panels. I’ll clean up as much as I can before sale.

Please get in touch if you have questions, or would like to schedule a time to see the car.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
very nice car, at a reasonable price - GLWS.

Kirk