FS: MK IV Jetta E-Code Headlights with Fogs, Sale!

Status
Not open for further replies.

T'sTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
On the fence about the e-codes and my stock lights are more yellow then clear... Is this a limited time offering as supplies allow or will these cheaper option e-codes be available for some time?

Pardon my ignorance if this has already been stated... I didn't have time to go through 10 pages of threads at work :)

vancity

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta 2001
On the fence about the e-codes and my stock lights are more yellow then clear... Is this a limited time offering as supplies allow or will these cheaper option e-codes be available for some time?

Pardon my ignorance if this has already been stated... I didn't have time to go through 10 pages of threads at work :)

I guess I should start a new add... I was going to sell them at the regular price but my supplier "forgot" to include the bulbs....these will be available until they are sold out...

doctorkb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI
It still appears that no one has posted a detailed review, so I thought that I would at least put up some pictures of my new lamps installed and focused. I purchased the following bulbs from Candle Power Inc.:

High/low beams: Osram Rallye 70/65w +50 H4 (Candle Power code 64205) $19 each
Fogs: Narva RangePower+50® Ultra High Output 55w H3 (code 48335) $15.50 each
Turn Signals: Narva PY21W Amber (code 17638) $21.67 for 10
Parking: Stanley P3652 Mini-Wedge 5W (code P3652) $4.20 each

These bulbs were all recommended in Post 47 above.
Let me just say that you are looking at two issues here.

1. over-watt bulbs result in potential damage to wiring (some of the wiring harnesses are not designed for that size of bulb)

2. over-watt bulbs are illegal.

The H4 standard wattage is 55W.
The street-legal wattage of an H3 is 55W (yes, I know yours are 55W -- just sayin' for the record)

Anything that says "Rallye" or "Rally" is also not likely to be street-legal.

There are some great performers for the 55W H4 bulbs. Check out powerbulbs.com for a selection -- Philips Extreme Vision are a good, safe bet.

kwgilpin

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
1. over-watt bulbs result in potential damage to wiring (some of the wiring harnesses are not designed for that size of bulb)
Do you have more info? As an electrical engineer, I'm curious if this has been reliably documented on the Mk4 platform, or whether it is a marketing ploy used to sell new wiring harnesses. I certainly understand that higher Wattage bulbs sink more current which in turn may generate additional heat in the wiring, but I'm just not convinced that this additional heat, which likely amounts to no more than 10 extra degrees, maximum, can somehow damage the copper wires.

2. over-watt bulbs are illegal.

The H4 standard wattage is 55W.
The street-legal wattage of an H3 is 55W (yes, I know yours are 55W -- just sayin' for the record)

Anything that says "Rallye" or "Rally" is also not likely to be street-legal.
Touché, but I'd much rather face an oncoming Jetta with properly-adjusted, slightly over-Watt bulbs than a typical SUV with HIDs that are right at my eye level. Watts seem like a rather arbitrary, and poorly chosen, standard for deciding what is, or is not, street legal.

jettagal2000

TDI
2000 tdi jetta
headlight assy.

Didn't read all of the threads on these lights. Do you have them in black and are these complete units.... thanks

doctorkb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI
Do you have more info? As an electrical engineer, I'm curious if this has been reliably documented on the Mk4 platform, or whether it is a marketing ploy used to sell new wiring harnesses. I certainly understand that higher Wattage bulbs sink more current which in turn may generate additional heat in the wiring, but I'm just not convinced that this additional heat, which likely amounts to no more than 10 extra degrees, maximum, can somehow damage the copper wires.
I have read anecdotal notes of people melting their wiring. I believe they were way over-watt substandard bulbs (i.e. 110W PIAA)... but the point stands.

The issue is not in most of the vehicle's wiring, IIRC, but rather the wiring in the assembly (and no, there's no difference between these assemblies, the stock ones or the "real" Hella assemblies) that is rather thin and also somewhat subject to the heat generated by the bulb itself.

Touché, but I'd much rather face an oncoming Jetta with properly-adjusted, slightly over-Watt bulbs than a typical SUV with HIDs that are right at my eye level. Watts seem like a rather arbitrary, and poorly chosen, standard for deciding what is, or is not, street legal.
I agree. But that doesn't change the law. :)

All it takes is one grumpy cop and you're in trouble.

vancity

TDI
Jetta 2001
Didn't read all of the threads on these lights. Do you have them in black and are these complete units.... thanks
Yes Sir, still have them in black, just need bulbs and leveling motors if you plan on using them. Most people dont ever use the levelers though.

Just pm your email if you want to order a set.

auto_tech

Vendor
TDI
SOLD - 2001 Jetta blue; 2016 Jetta 1.4TSI 5spd
I just got mine installed, lookin' good so far! Waiting for dark now to aim them.
I bought Eurolite H4's at Canadian Tire. Only real problem I had was two bolts holding the bumper cover on had to be drilled out. Anybody know of a good source for yellow H3 bulbs, wiring kit and euro switch?

doctorkb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI
I just got mine installed, lookin' good so far! Waiting for dark now to aim them.
I bought Eurolite H4's at Canadian Tire. Only real problem I had was two bolts holding the bumper cover on had to be drilled out. Anybody know of a good source for yellow H3 bulbs, wiring kit and euro switch?
Eurolite? Wow... that sounds about as generic as Crappy Tire can get... Ah well... you have a further upgrade to look forward to when you go to Philips or Osram bulbs from a place like powerbulbs.com :)

I bought Hella Optilux XY 55W H3 bulbs from Lordco. They seem to perform reasonably well, though not as well as my old Philips AllWeather bulbs (that have since been discontinued. :(

As for the Euro Switch and wiring harness, ECS Tuning seems to have some decent prices on those:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_IV--1.8T/Lighting/Switches/ES8602/
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_IV--1.8T/Lighting/ES416/

You might also try calling PG Performance in Vancouver... even though these parts may not be listed on their site, they may have them available.

Last edited:

vancity

TDI
Jetta 2001
FYI - PG just got a shipment of real OEM Euroswitches, you may want to give them a call.

Cumbres

Just wanted to make a comment about the fast shipping. I ordered a set of lights for my 2002 Jetta Wed last week. They arrived Monday in good order and matched exactly the pictures in this thread. Pretty good speed considering needing to cross the border and the distance to Kansas from Vancouver.

I am eagerly looking forward to installing them.

Cumbres:)

vancity

TDI
Jetta 2001
I am able to sell single headlights if that is all you need!

Had a few defects, so I have a few single headlights in both silver and black if you need them. Only $85 shipped.

vancity

TDI
Jetta 2001
Sold out on the Chrome, Tentatively sold out on the black GLI style.

I have a few "seconds" Chrome sets left, physically they are fine, just have some finger prints or smudge marks inside the lenses or housing. Very limited Only $100 shipped for a set!!

Perfect for retrofits, you need to take off the lenses anyways, or take off the lenses, and clean it up! I tried taking some photos, but the smudges are nearly impossible to see...

vancity

TDI
Jetta 2001
Still have a few sets left of these seconds. Have a couple sets in black as well.

Let me know if you plan on doing retrofits, I have a couple sets where one of the lights has some paint damage right where you drill the hole for the projector.

vancity

TDI
Jetta 2001
Thanks, more lights will be in for early next year.

I will post firm dates once the order is enroute.

vancity

TDI
Jetta 2001
UPDATE:

Lights will be in for late January\early Feb time frame. Genuine VW OEM Euroswitches will also be available!

I will start taking reservations once the lights are enroute over here in January.

For the time being if anyone needed any spare rear covers, or parts from these lights, let me know, I have sets that were damaged I can sell for parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.