FS in Rhode Island: eb's 2001 Jetta GLS TDI sedan

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
SOLD FS in Rhode Island: eb's 2001 Jetta GLS TDI sedan

Sold for $1850
Great time to pick-up a ALH TDI if you can wrench or have access to a good TDI guru.

---------

This is not a sale I ever expected to make but career will be taking me to Los Angeles, CA for the next three years and an ALH just isn't a very practical car there.

I know every nook and cranny of the car and 17 years of service and modification history. In addition to a running maintenance spreadsheet, I just documented additional information in two PDFs. I am going to provide some basic information in this post, but request that if you are interested, please PM me with your email address and I will reply by email with details of the car in two attached PDFs.

Brief Overview:
  • 2001 Jetta GLS TDI sedan (engine code ALH) in black/black
  • 5-speed manual transmission
  • 285,765 miles (still driven and slowly accumulating miles)
  • Two-owner (father,son), non-smokers
  • Car located in Providence, Rhode Island 02906
  • Car was involved in accident in 2008 and was totaled and is thus a salvage/rebuilt vehicle
In addition to car, sale includes:
  • 1 key fob, 1 valet key and owner’s manual
  • VW winterfront
  • All modifications to be described (you can get an idea by looking at my signature)
  • Four Michelin snow tires and the alloy wheels they are mounted to
  • Miscellaneous maintenance items and spare parts I have on hand/accumulated: you can take as much or as little as you please – don’t get your hopes up – nothing major here in terms of $.
  • Bentley manual (paper) and option to buy some VW specific tools at bargain prices

Price: $2000

A few pictures from today (PDF photo compilation has about 50 photos):

Last edited:

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Bump. Car is up on Craigslist locally now and immediately had to sift through a few interested scammers :eek:

I'd appreciate any feedback on the alternative way I could list this car and whether you think it would be more appealing. Right now it's a package deal with some flexibility for $2000 [$2200 with VCDS cable or $1800 with stock seats if buyer wanted to pass up Recaros]. I could officially split it up into separate sales (my primary concern is that MKIV stuff doesn't move as fast as it used to as the platform is less common).

So theoretically I could do:
2001 Jetta - $1300
GLI Recaros in excellent condition - $450 (I kept original front seats)
Borbet wheels with Michelin snow tires (50% or more tread) - $150
VCDS Hex-Can-Usb (earlier style with "unlimited" license in terms of car count): $300
Paper Bentley manual: $30
[If I really wanted to I could put the stock steering wheel ($100), shifter ($50), and pedals ($40) back on as well as I kept all original parts. ]

Could I move the ancillary items quickly at those prices? Thoughts?

Last edited:

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
i don’t mean to waste your time, but what kind of wheels are those?

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
i don’t mean to waste your time, but what kind of wheels are those?
Borbet, model "BS." Nice wheels in their day but a lot of surface corrosion on three of them so I don't think they're worth much now. But I think they look a little like snowflakes, so are fitting for a winter wheelset :)