SOLD: ***CLEAN*** 97 B4 in NJ… Black Magic Pearl- LC9Z

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
SOLD

I’ve owned this car since November 2013 and it was in need of much love, when it entered my ownership. Since then, I‘ve put a ton of sweat equity into it and a paltry 31,000 miles on it… under 4,000 per year, I still occasionally drive it an arduous 7 miles one way, to work, so the mileage will increase. I own 5 other cars, 2 of them being diesel. These factors are why it’s for sale.… time to thin out the herd.

Take notice of the dates and mileage, below…. I don’t drive a lot, anymore.

- Purchased November 2013, with 218,177 miles
- Currently 249,120 miles and slowlyyyy climbing.
- Cluster works 100% perfectly, which is a known issue with these cars.
- Clutch was done, when I purchased it
- The suspension and related bushings were also replaced when I got the car.
- Timing belt was done 6/8/19 @ 240,190. Timing belt and related components, are always changed at the 5 year interval, never the 50k mileage interval.… it’d probably take me 10 years to hit 50k.
- Oil and filter were last changed 9/10/20 @ 245,613. I use Liquimoly synthetic. Oil is changed at 5k miles or 1 year interval. Whichever comes sooner, which is typically the latter. I’m slightly overdue…
- Air and cabin filters were last changed 7/3/21 @ 248,641. Only quality filters are used. Mann, Hengst, etc.
- I definitely did the fuel filter, but didn’t write down, when.
- New rear rotors, pads, bearings
- Resealed the rear calipers and parking brake mechanism. I think I did a long term fix to the known parking brake issues. Entire caliper came apart, to do this
- Entire brake system was flushed.
- Replaced the front rotors and pads, last summer.
- Front calipers were resealed, this summer, since I did the rears.
- Ball joints, and control arm bushings, replaced last summer
- Blend doors have been taped
- Installed remote starter/alarm/keyless entr, with 2 way remote
- Heated B3 leather front seats, unheated leather rear seat,
- B3 glovebox
- BT Pioneer HU, old MB Quart separates, 4 channel MTX amp and old 12” AL Diamond Audio subwoofer, in a custom FG enclosure.
- E-code headlights
- Sprayed the corners and bumper indicator orange.
- 02j shifter
- VERY clean, complete interior.

I pulled the ENTIRE interior (other than the dash) and scrubbed EVERYTHING, when I bought the car. Carpet was pressure washed, and rust holes in the floor (at the body plugs) was cut out and welded closed.

Any rust on exterior body panels was fixed and taken to a body shop, for paint. No clear coat issues, but this car is approaching 25 years old, so dings and other small imperfections are present.

All of the glass, including windshield, was tinted with Suntek CXP. Rear doors, windshield and back is 50% and the front doors are slightly lighter… I think 30%. Helps hugely with heat rejection. I did 2 other cars with the same film.

All of the door handles work and use the same key (2 OE keys). New handle gaskets were ordered from Germany. All windows work.

The only things wrong with the car is the driver window tilts forward, when coming down. I heard something in the door pop, about a year ago. Goes up no problem… never goes off track, so I’ve ignored the problem.

AC works, but only blows around 60° @ speed 4. With the tint, it’s enough to keep me comfortable. Need to investigate.

Car is running snow tires on Rondos, but they’re probably less than 1 season in. Driver wheel is missing a center cap.… I think this happened recently, after I flushed the brakes.

I post a lot of my maintenance, in the ”What did you do to your B4, today” thread. Here are some recent posts…

Pics of car, taken this past Saturday 9/11. I’ve got plenty more pics taken that same day, which will be posted, shortly.

I think it’s pretty apparent that I take care of my cars. Based on the maintenance I’ve done, how the car runs, and how the car presents itself cosmetically, I want $4,750.

-Todd

Last edited:

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
very nice car! man i would love a b4 but i'm not allowed anymore cars :( sigh

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Continued…

As can be seen, this is a very well preserved “stock” car, other than the stereo stuff.

The amp is mounted in the box, mounted to the top of the trunk. There are pusher/puller fans mounted inside, to keep the amp cool. I’ll get a pic of that opened, later. Probably hasn’t been opened in over 5 years…

What‘s on top of the battery, are feeds for the remote starter and amp.

Not that I drive this car long distances, but I wouldn’t hesitate driving it cross country.

-Todd

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
very nice car! man i would love a b4 but i'm not allowed anymore cars :( sigh
Ah, come on….. ya can swing it! Totally understand.

I currently have one of my cars parked across the street, in front of someone else’s house…. been there over a week. Gotta get that moved.

-Todd

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Very nice looking B4, Todd. I would be interested but I have a very similar B4, except in that green that everyone loves with a beige cloth interior. I've had a bunch of work done on mine in the past few months and now it drives really well. A B4 in top condition is a really, really nice car. Good luck with the sale. I think this will make some TDI enthusiast very happy.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks for the kind words. I don’t need to sell it, but it’d be better off being driven, the way it was intended.

There are times in winter, where I pull into the work lot, and the coolant temp needle barely moved.

I’m trying to think of small things that may have been done…
- power steering pump was replaced a few years back
- VR6 coolant reservoir. Slightly more capacity and it can be internally cleaned.
- VR6 airbox snorkel
- VR6 lower belt cover to prevent belt squeal and p/s loss, when going through puddles.
- functional EGR, although it’s been turned down via VCDS adaptation.
- Intake was cleaned via the torch method, years ago
- Cylinder head intake ports were cleaned the best I could, without head removal, the same time the intake was cleaned.
- 99% sure I did a full reseal on the IP a few years ago.
- clutched alt pulley added a few years ago.
- modded upper rad support, to easily slip cardboard between the condenser and rad. This helps immensely with warm up and retaining heat.

I’ll add more as it comes to mind.

-Todd

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So, it’s been years since I had this open… had to remember what I did.... the amp is running in 3ch mode.

The amp base is a recycled rack drawer from the IT dept, at work. I probably harvested the fans from PCs they were trashing. The sides, top and front are .5“ mdf. Looks like the front was cut from scraps. This was more function over form, but it’s been working safely and very well, for years.

I did show some attention, to the wiring…

Take notice to the camouflage moving blanket. Nothing gets placed directly on the factory carpet, other than the camouflage moving blanket!

-Todd

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
i didn’t post this, but I’m not looking for other vehicle trades. Maybe a near mint condition 2 door gas Rabbit would pique my interest, but other than that, I’m sticking to cash.

Thanks for the PM offers, but no thanks.

-Todd

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
That's got to be one of the cleanest tan interiors that I've seen in one of these B4's. Looks like it's even got the heated seats hooked up too.
GLWS

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I just received a deposit, this morning. Thanks for the interest.

-Todd

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Definitely will. Btw, the window issue in the description, got fixed.

-Todd

Ragdude

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Golf SEL TDi
Nice! A testament to you and VW that this isn't a rolling pile of rust by now.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not quite sure how much can be attributed to VW, lol. I enjoy maintaining cars, also.

This car had rust in the floors, when I bought it, and I mentioned when new rust appeared, it was dealt with. Only logging 4,000 miles per year, also likely helped.

I always had a winter beater, to keep this and other cars I cared about, away from the salt and brine. I’m sure if it was driven in the snow and as a typical car with typical mileage diesel owners log, it’d be much different than it sits, today.

-Todd

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If I decide to sell the B4V, I’ll reach out. Probably won’t be anytime soon…

Junkyard for the seats, but i don’t see these cars, anymore. B4V, also has heated leather. All seats were sourced well over 5 years ago…

Still working on this heap….

-Todd

snoopy smiles

TDI
B4 and Touareg
Would offer the new owner of your black B4 tdi $5,000.00. Please send my offer their way. Thank you. 541-591-1430 And yes, I would be interested in your B4v when you are ready to give it a new home.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Did this go to a fellow member? I'm kinda hoping it goes to someone that appreciates these cars and stays somewhere that won't get eaten by rust...

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Well done sir

destdi

TDI
2001 JETTA GTS TDI, 2002 JETTA GTS TDI
I bought it, it's my second B4. I have a very nice one I had painted, that a employee blew the motor up in. I decided to keep it as a parts car and buy another. Couldn't find a finer example. Owner was fantastic, and meticulous on maintenance and care. It's a very nice original example with original window sticker,manuals, and keys. Not very many left like this. Very proud new owner. And yes it's going to be a garage queen driven daily in southern Louisiana

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Did this go to a fellow member? I'm kinda hoping it goes to someone that appreciates these cars and stays somewhere that won't get eaten by rust...
Look ^^!

I did one last wash, on Sunday… transport company called me Monday, wanting to come get it Tuesday

It’s officially gone….

Take care of it!

-Todd