FS: Clean 2003 Jetta GLS TDI

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
SOLD.
________

Ok. So I was all set to sell this car a year ago, but didn't quite know what direction to go as far as a replacement daily driver. Life got busy, so I just held off on selling it. I am an absolute idiot, because I got good interest back then with a $6500 ask.

Now, I see that the used TDI market has softened dramatically. On top of this, the car now has a coolant leak (has good days and bad, still drive-able) and a vacuum leak preventing full boost. The vacuum leak should be easy to fix, but I am too busy and apathetic at this point. It was boosting 16 psi all day and running awesome until I parked it in August to investigate the coolant leak (which, I could not fully locate, unfortunately). After fiddling around with the engine and doing a bunch of basic maintenance (brand new brakes all around, oil, filters, glow plugs, checkup) the vacuum leak appeared and I haven't found the source. In the meantime the car still accelerates quite decently with just 2-3 psi of boost. I don't even have a shop to work on it right now, so gravel driveway repairs and winter approaching is no bueno.
Plus the wife is screaming at me to sell this car now that I do have a replacement daily driver. So I am eager to sell, but not in any financial emergency. With the coolant and vacuum leaks, plus market correction, my loss is someone else gain. Give this car a few hours of educated TLC and it should be good to go for many years to come. Meanwhile, it owes me nothing at this point after 10+ years of trouble free, wonderful ownership. So I'm moving on.
New Price: $4500, O.B.O. Please avoid silly low-balls though.
Available to see and test drive anytime! I can pick up serious buyers at Detroit metro airport (DTW), as I'm just 20 minutes away.
Pictures below are from last years post, however, I only put on ~7000 miles since then and it still looks just as great!
I bought this car in 2005 when it had less than two years on the road, but with 42,000 miles already. It had been lovingly owned by a high-mile commuter dude, but financial strain meant he had to part ways with her.
Since then, I have averaged nearly 50 mpg continuously, putting on somewhere between 11 to 14k miles each year. Best tanks of 56 mpg for a couple summers when the car was fully optimized and I did some longer road trips. The car has just under 160k miles right now. (edit: 167k now)
Being an avid car enthusiast and mechanical engineer, I couldn’t leave well enough alone, and the car is somewhat modified. Tried to stick with OEM+ or mild power adders though. All work done by myself, an automotive/mechanical engineer, or by well-known TDI guru Marty Bergel. Oil changed every 6-7k miles with full synthetic every time.
Mod list:
Engine/Trans:
  • Bosio PP520 nozzles
  • Kerma tuned, with flashloader and a few tunes to play with
  • Re-worked factory airbox from a VR6, with PD150 turbo intake pipe
  • Custom lower intercooler pipe and idparts upper pipe
  • PD150 intake manifold and race pipe Wrong, brain fart. I had the mani and race pipe, but did not install. Sold separately. Stock ALH manifold, but totally clean looking upon last inspection (EGR is disabled for a long time now).
  • PD in-tank lift pump
  • 2.5” downpipe from whitbread, with 3” magnaflow high-flow cat
  • Mufflerectomy
  • 0.658 5th gear ratio
  • VR6 clutch w/ G60 flywheel
  • Metalnerd short shift kit
Body/Chassis/Suspension/electrical:
  • Kamei-style front grill
  • Some aeromods (grill blocks, passenger mirror delete, rear diffuser, under-trays)
  • Metal nerd aluminum skid plate. Tough as heck! Not that I ever tested it, or anything…
  • Custom 1.3” lift spacers
  • Koni red shocks (rear are wagon-spec)
  • Currently riding on almost new 215/60/16 Yokohama geolanders. Smallest 16” all-terrain tire I could find.
  • 10mm wheel spacers all around
  • E-code headlights w/ fogs and blue lamin-x (easily removable)
  • 0/2 gauge battery wiring kit
  • Boost pressure, oil temp, and exhaust temp gauges from VDO
  • iPhone/iPod integration to the monsoon stereo
  • Rubber floor mats in addition to the stock ones
  • Brand new OEM front fenders replaced right at the end of the VW rust warranty period. No rust anywhere!
It will need another timing belt kit in 10-20k miles or so. Only real issue currently is that the A/C is not working. Could be as simple as low system pressure, but I couldn’t find any blown fuses. That’s as far as I bothered to trouble-shoot it.
Car would come with a couple boxes of original parts, and new replacement parts (I have Audi TT front bushings, new rear axle bushings, and more that I just never got around to installing).

Last edited:

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
60+ views and nary a comment or PM. Thoughts on pricing and whatever else are welcome.

She's got new tires, brand new brakes, mint condition paint and interior. Motor just broken in (not even joking, she purrs and will easily go 300k+, IMO). Just needs a lil' wrenchin' right now.

Also willing to drive part way to meet someone, but... I honestly don't have time to go very far from southeast MI. Throw me some offers, peeps.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
$4500. Isn't bad considering the mods and condition. He did say OBO so it sounds like whatever need fixing can be workout. Nice ride good luck with sale.

Bajan

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
Yeah, I mean, I can pay a mechanic to do another timing belt job and find/fix my coolant and vacuum leaks, but then I'll just want to charge more for the car. I figured (hoped) that a lot of prospective buyers of a used TDI have experience wrenching on them and wouldn't be afraid. We shall see...