SOLD: AZ 03 Jetta Wagon (Metallic Blue) modded $6000 <100k on german ASV engine in Co Springs, CO

Wally

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB, 96 and 97 B4Vs, & 03 A4V
SOLD
All,
Thanks for looking! We're going all electric - picked up a Leaf yesterday, and an e-Golf next month - for round town commuting and Gladiator DZL for long distance/adventures. Soooooo....

Mods give it about 125HP-135HP, 225-250 lb-ft torque. Always proper oil every 10k. Unfortunately, this car always ran on pump diesel - I never got my bio setup going in AZ :(
Goes without saying, but great mileage, even with upgrades. Around town mid 30s. Highway 40s to low-50s depending on how you drive it. On the 800+ mile drive from AZ to CO, with about 400lbs worth of stuff plus me, I was going 85-90 most of the way (with a speeding ticket to prove it) and still clocked in at just below 46MPG - Wish I had taken the roof rack off and put it inside!

::EDIT::
Updated pictures below! Spots on bottoms of doors is road gunk. There is an updated shot of the passenger side showing it came right off. Driver's side and other pics available upon request.

Vitals:
  • Just under 270k total miles on chassis
    • Started life in Tennessee, I bought it 2014 in AZ where it was until we just moved to Colorado Springs
    • GLS trim level, power everything, heated seats, mirrors, power sun/moonroof, remote keyless entry
  • Almost 100k miles on ASV engine imported from the fatherland thru Quality German Autoparts
    • installed March-ish of 2016 at ~240k total miles
    • ASV engine had 70k miles when installed
  • Also done at the time of the engine swap:
    • Kerma 100k mile TB kit (metal impeller water pump)
    • 30k driven since, so 70k miles left
    • Kerma VR6 quiet clutch kit with new fly wheel and rear main seal
    • front main seal
    • oil pan from IDParts
    • Dogbone tranny mount
  • Since Engine swap:
    • Bosio PP 0.216 injector nozzles (to replace ASV stock .205s)
    • Rocketchip level 2 tune (with EGR delete)
      • Original ECM will come with it in case you desire to swap for some unknown -smog - cough - reason
    • 4 new bosch glow plugs at time of injector nozzle swap last fall
      • new glow plug harness will come with car, but wasn't needed at time of service
  • ~215k miles new Bilstein suspension all around (IDParts)
    • TC dampers
    • Simplex springs
    • every nut, bolt, bushing, stop, and dust cover replaced with new
  • Interstate battery Aug 2019
    • 94R/H7 (I ain't messing around)
    • 30 month free replacement, 30 month prorated
  • Spring 2019 front driver and rear passenger wheel bearing replaced.
    • you will have new bearings and stub axle for other rear, and
    • front steering knuckle with ~90k miles on bearing for other front.
  • Last May 2020 all new front end parts
    • TT bushings in the control arms
    • TT sway bar links
    • ball joints
    • outer tie rod ends (but didn't install passenger side as it was good - will include)
    • as usual, all new hardware
  • Last August FINALLY tinted the windows for the bright AZ sun
    • BTW it has the winter package, heated seat, mirrors, very handy in Prescott and Flagstaff where I was.
  • New Bridgstone Ecopia tires all around Nov 2020
    • 80k mile warranty
    • <2000 miles on tires
  • Rear hatch lift shocks this week
  • Also purchased, will include, but have not installed:
    • TDI heater for A4
    • 2-Amp max battery monitor/trickle charger
      • NOCO Genius2D
      • (we go backapcking for the summer and leave this one sitting at home)
  • Will include the Yakima roof-rack cross bars
  • I'll even throw in the Phatnoise car audio system from my passat - 20GB
    • I have everything, manual, system, cartridge software, cable
      • but you may need a different cable...
I easily have over $12k into it in, it pulls like a demon (and I haven't even done the planned VNT-17 and IC swap - which I recommend), rides nice, steers tight, will roll coal if you like that kinda thing (tho maybe not after the VNT-17 ;) ), so I think that $6k is quite reasonable. You're looking at another quarter millions miles easily with this car.

The bad:
Purely cosmetic.
  • It has the passenger front fender bubble that is typical of the type/year, but it's not bad, see it in the photos. Has not noticeably changed since purchase in fall 2014.
  • tear in driver's seat - looking into replacement front seats if I can find reasonable one, but still comfy and heater still works great.
    • typical wear and tear for 18yo car.
  • dent in roof from PO forgetting his Mtn bikes were still on the roof when he pulled into the garage...going up hill...at night
    • See pics, bought it this way, hasn't changed a lick since fall 2014

As promised, the spots at the bottoms of the doors was only built up road gunk - came right off. Driver's side was the same, but no more room for pics...ask I'll send it.

New shifter knob and boot installed (2/3/21)

Shifter boot in this pic replaced 2/3/21 see above

Ooops, forgot to vacuum back here...

Did you know there was all this cubby space back here?

All the tools and a full tread spare!

I believe that spot is wax from a crayon.

Last edited:

Wally

Veteran Member
TDI
Bump for updated pics and new notes.

Also installed new shifter boot today, which looks nice.

Wally

Veteran Member
TDI
Went to dealership for the fender recall. Apparently, even though the mileage is unlimited, the years are not. Too bad, when I first bought the car I was still in, but didn't know about it...oh well.

They DID DO the brake switch recall, tho, so that's done now.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
Went to dealership for the fender recall. Apparently, even though the mileage is unlimited, the years are not. Too bad, when I first bought the car I was still in, but didn't know about it...oh well.

They DID DO the brake switch recall, tho, so that's done now.
The rust warranty is 12 years with unlimited mileage. Can you point to another manufacturer that offer anything that matches ?

YoungDieselstein

Veteran Member
Orem, UT (Formerly San Diego, CA and Clarksville,
TDI
Ferdinand "Ferdie" The Wagon: 2003 Jetta Wagon, Reflex Silver. RIP 3/2019
VR6/Towing springs? It looks mildly lifted, but more than the Bilsten HDs would accomplish. Perhaps it's just the angle of a couple of the exterior photos, or maybe I've just gotten used to how horribly low our JSW sits without any of the redemptive handling or looks of actually being intentionally lowered.

Wally

Veteran Member
TDI
Standard Wagon rear springs, but i believe they are the VR6/Towing springs on sedans.

And thanks, I think she looks nice, too!

Wally

Veteran Member
TDI
Car is Sold. Local guy on CL found it. He had a wrecked MkIV sedan that was lifted and skid plated and plans to move all that to the wagon to continue bombing around the Rockies. Thanks everyone!