FS: Amazing 2000 Golf GLS TDI

czar

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW; '03 Beetle GLS
Thanks! It is on eBay but if someone from here is serious, pm me as I'd rather make a nice donation to Fred's than pay eBay.

czar

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW; '03 Beetle GLS
Best offer recd was $3500. 3 people are scheduled to see it Sunday, so we'll see...

98NYFINESTVETTE

TDI
2000 GOLF GLS TDI Automatic
Interested in the Golf

Hello, I am interested in this vehicle. I am located in central NJ. From what I was able to calculate on GOOGLE MAPS, I am about 2 hours away from you. Please contact me about the vehicle. I read that you have someone scheduled to look at it tom. If we are able to speak on the phone about some questions I have, I would be able to send you a non refundable deposit through Pay Pal. My number is XXXXXXXXXXXX or you can e-mail me at RACING1320@aol.com.

Thanks, Hope to hear from you.
Rob

Last edited:

draco76

Veteran Member
TDI
99 NB(sold), 03 NB(sold), 100% bug free :) 99.5 4d Golf, 2004 GL Wagon
if this isn't sold I might look you up in 4 weeks when my house should be re-fianced.

czar

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW; '03 Beetle GLS
Can finally put this thread to rest! Car has a new home; donation made to Fred's.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Rob, IMO you bought a pretty good car. You got a good deal, too. I still can't believe it was offered for sale in October 2008 and took 15 months to find the right buyer.

Just take care of it, fix whatever needs fixing when it needs fixing, and you can expect to put another 300k+ miles on it.

There may be folks out there who spent as much money or more for cars that don't run and will need $3k-$4k more just to get them running.

From your location in New Jersey, there are at least 3 or 4 reliable TDI pros within a couple hours. So for anything that's TDI-specific, like a turbo or injection pump issue, or when it needs a new timing belt, or any low-power troubleshooting, don't let some local yahoo work on it. Take it to a pro and it will save you money and hair follicles.

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
Make sure you drive it past my brother in law's so he can see what he missed out on :)

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
tdidieselbobny said:
I can't believe it took this long-hopefully this time it pans out for you czar....
I have this completely unsubstantiated theory that when you put words such as amazing, unbelievable, incredible etc. in the description of a vehicle, you multiply the selling time by a factor of 2 or more.:rolleyes:

I'm glad it finally sold. I was almost at the point of buying it myself just so I didn't have to see this ad anymore.:D

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Czar, you could have lied about the condition, exaggerating the good points and neglecting to mention the bad ones, and maybe sold it faster. But you were honest, even though it cost you money and maybe the buyer came out of this transaction much better than you did.

My point is that you can hold your head high and know that you took the honorable path. Well done.

And there's nothing wrong with using adjectives such as "amazing, unbelievable, incredible" when describing a TDI in good running condition.

98NYFINESTVETTE

TDI
TornadoRed said:
Rob, IMO you bought a pretty good car. You got a good deal, too. I still can't believe it was offered for sale in October 2008 and took 15 months to find the right buyer.

Just take care of it, fix whatever needs fixing when it needs fixing, and you can expect to put another 300k+ miles on it.

There may be folks out there who spent as much money or more for cars that don't run and will need $3k-$4k more just to get them running.

From your location in New Jersey, there are at least 3 or 4 reliable TDI pros within a couple hours. So for anything that's TDI-specific, like a turbo or injection pump issue, or when it needs a new timing belt, or any low-power troubleshooting, don't let some local yahoo work on it. Take it to a pro and it will save you money and hair follicles.
Thanks for the info. I am also amazed about the time it took for this to be sold. As I was reading this thread about the car I had two different ideas about this car. The first one was that there is something wrong and no one is speaking about it. :) I have read all the threads and posts about this vehicle. This vehicle has a forum history. :D

The secound was that this is to good to be true. I have had my eye on a TDI for about a year now. Just waiting for one ot be in my price range that did not need so much money to make it raod worthy. As you mentioned in you post about this being a great car.
I see it is a great car for the year and mileage. I am trying to read as much as possible about TDI's.

I plan on replacing the front struts, rear shocks, front rotor's and pads, Trans service and a oil change.

I read that there is a special tool needed to change the trans fluid on the automatics. I plan on doing all the work myself.

The only negative thing I have read about a TDI is the automatic transmissions are or could be a weak link. I am hoping I still have some life left in this one with 211,xxx miles on it. :confused:
I think I may only average about 7 to 8 thousand miles a year. I also plan on using my home made B100. :D I will mix the B100 with diesel so I don't damage the fuel pump.

All the words used by czar to explain this vehicle were all true. I drove over three hours to get there and the same to get her to her new home. I think it is safe to say due to this economy this is not the time to sell a car.

Thanks to Ben for selling me a great car.

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98NYFINESTVETTE said:
I read that there is a special tool needed to change the trans fluid on the automatics. I plan on doing all the work myself.

The only negative thing I have read about a TDI is the automatic transmissions are or could be a weak link. I am hoping I still have some life left in this one with 211,xxx miles on it. :confused:
I'm not sure about a special tool; VAG-COM is used to monitor the AT fluid temperature, which apparently expands and contracts with changes in temperature. The main thing is that however much AT fluid you take out, put at least that much back in, and maybe just a little bit more for good measure.

If your transmission ever fails, for the price you paid it will make good sense to replace it with either a professionally rebuilt one or else converting to a 5-speed manual (which would be my choice). It might cost as much as $4000, but it will be worth it. You would still end up with an excellent car for under $8000, good for another couple hundred thousand miles.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
There also is a guy in the midwest that FIXES the 01m's I believe in case your's ever decides to fail (some reason I think his forum name is CoolAirVW) -might want to do a search for that name and see if it is.Be nice to have someone on speed dial just in case. Oh yeah,BTW, if you can't tell by the threads on here,AVOID THE DEALER!!!!! Find the nearest guru to you-may be a few hour drive,but they are well worth it and better than dealer. Congrats on the purchase!

98NYFINESTVETTE

TDI
TornadoRed said:
I'm not sure about a special tool; VAG-COM is used to monitor the AT fluid temperature, which apparently expands and contracts with changes in temperature. The main thing is that however much AT fluid you take out, put at least that much back in, and maybe just a little bit more for good measure.

If your transmission ever fails, for the price you paid it will make good sense to replace it with either a professionally rebuilt one or else converting to a 5-speed manual (which would be my choice). It might cost as much as $4000, but it will be worth it. You would still end up with an excellent car for under $8000, good for another couple hundred thousand miles.
I thought I read someone where that there was a special tool to fill the transmission. I am also reading so much at one time that my brain could be going into a melt down. :D
I will do more research to see how the trans is filled. I think if (knock on wood) the trans will need to be replaced, I will keep it an automatic. I have a few reasons for this. If I go on a trip my wife will be able to share the driving if it is an automatic. ;)

Is it possible to get a trans flush on this vehicle? That would be the ideal way to replace the fluid. I have read about changing filter and fluid but I have not read anything about a trans flush. I did notice what appeared to be the trans cooler under the right floor board. It was a quick glance due to the outside temp is 20 degrees.

Thanks for all the help guiding me in the correct direction. All feedback is very helpful and is very much appreciated. Please don't stop. :) As I said the TDI is all new to me. I do have over 20 years of mechanical skills and training. I had to replace the head gaskets on my 6.0 diesel Ford dually. I had to lift the cab off. I don't think I will ever have to go to this extreme with a TDI. :D

98NYFINESTVETTE

TDI
tdidieselbobny said:
There also is a guy in the midwest that FIXES the 01m's I believe in case your's ever decides to fail (some reason I think his forum name is CoolAirVW) -might want to do a search for that name and see if it is.Be nice to have someone on speed dial just in case. Oh yeah,BTW, if you can't tell by the threads on here,AVOID THE DEALER!!!!! Find the nearest guru to you-may be a few hour drive,but they are well worth it and better than dealer. Congrats on the purchase!
Thanks for the Dealer info. I read that in every post. Regardless of the subject or the thread, it was always stay away from the dealer. That is ashame that the dealer is not able to do the work or do the work properly. That is my next thisng to do on my list - Locate a VW tech and also a VW Trans Tech. I would hope to see this car run to over 300,000 miles. This would take 10 years to reach.

As a motor head. Learniing about something that I have no clue about is extremely interesting. A plus is that I have always had an eye on the TDI. They were just out of my price range.

Thanks for the info. Keep them coming.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
98NYFINESTVETTE said:
I thought I read someone where that there was a special tool to fill the transmission. I am also reading so much at one time that my brain could be going into a melt down. :D
You were probably thinking of the new DSG automatics -- they require a special tool (plus Vag-Com), because the new fluid is gravity-fed in through the drain hole.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98NYFINESTVETTE said:
I did notice what appeared to be the trans cooler under the right floor board. It was a quick glance due to the outside temp is 20 degrees.
That may be a fuel cooler -- some TDIs have them, some do not.

98NYFINESTVETTE

TDI
frugality said:
You were probably thinking of the new DSG automatics -- they require a special tool (plus Vag-Com), because the new fluid is gravity-fed in through the drain hole.
You are correct about that. I saved the info and read it again. Just as you said - gravity fed to fill trans. Thanks for the info.

Million dollar question:
I have not been under the car yet to see what or how to change the trans fluid. Any tips from those that may have already done this?

Last edited:

98NYFINESTVETTE

TDI
TornadoRed said:
That may be a fuel cooler -- some TDIs have them, some do not.
Hopefully this week will be in the high 30's. I will then be going through the car inside and out.

Thanks for the info.