FS: 92 Jetta TDI swap 163K miles - $14,000

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 GTI +TDI, Lifted 98 NB TDI, Corrado TDI Swap, 15 Golf TDI, a dozen TDI motors etc...
********************SOLD SOLD SOLD!!!!!********************

Life recently took a turn for the worse when my wife was diagnosed with a super rare life-threatening blood disease
:( and now I am looking to part with the two finest examples in my collection. Here's the TDI, an Alpine White (L90E) 1992 Volkswagen Jetta with an TDI swapped in for the ultimate 40+ MPG reliable MKII daily driver/road trip beast. With 163,164mi on the engine 36,000 since swap, and 162K on the chassis - she’s just getting started. Yes - you can have your MKII and your reliability too. :p

Details:
  • Year: 1992
  • Make/Model: Volkswagen Jetta
  • Origin: Mexico
  • Engine: Mildly tuned 1.9L TDI (AHU Code)
  • Transmission: 5-speed manual 02A (CTN code) with a 0.622 5th gear for fast quiet cruising and great mpg.
  • Options: A/C, Power Steering, Power Recaro seats, Sunroof, Continental Radio with Bluetooth, manual windows, manual locks

History:
I used to perform the more complex services on this car when the previous owner had it. She took interest in a TDI conversion I had done & decided hers should get one too. When the head gasket went on her 1.8 8v, it was time for an upgrade. Over the next year Ben (xsp2467) and I sourced well maintained low mileage donor car (127K mi) and performed the TDI conversion. We also did many other upgrades including the Recaro interior, MK3 wide-track, Corrado front brakes, Polo rear unit bearings, heater box rebuild etc... While the car was down for the conversion, the previous owner decided she really needed a 4x4 truck instead and I bought the Jetta from her. I finished the conversion and dialed in the remaining things like the A/C before handing it over to my wife as her daily driver. This was the car we chose for most of our outings and trips over the last year. It has made the drive to L.A. Numerous times as well as Portland and Canada. I would choose this car over any other for a long road trip or daily use.

Click the link below to view the fueling history since I acquired title to the car:

Modifications:
  • Engine:
    • 1998 TDI (AHU code)
    • TDTuning tune putting down a long flat 100whp and 200wtq (see dyno below)
    • EGR delete to prevent gunk in the intake
    • 2.25" Techtonics Tuning turbo-back exhaust for low EGT’s
    • MKII Golf GTD W/AC Intercooler assembly to allow A/C and all genuine VW parts so it doesn’t need to be a hack-job
    • Corrado G60 radiator to allow said A/C
    • Golf G60 radiator neck to allow said A/C
    • Corrado G60 A/C line compressor-condenser
    • 1989 Jetta/Golf A/C lines evaporator-compressor and condenser-evaporator
    • Corrado VR6 front subframe to allow MK3 a motor mount
    • OEM MK3 motor mounts to keep vibrations in check, though it is still a bit of a tractor. ;)
  • Transmission:
    • 1998 Jetta TDI CTN code 02A 5-speed manual (tables R&P of any 02A/02J)
    • 0.622 5th gear (159,950mi) for fast quiet cruising and great mpg.
    • Late MK4 Shift box, cables, and tower for smooth and predictable operation
  • Suspension/drivetrain:
    • B4 Passat TDI control arms (same dimensionally as MK3 but much stringer)
    • Audi TT control arm bushings for long life and predictable handling
    • MK3 TDI axles to fit wider track width
    • MK3 4-cylinder tie-rods to fit wider track width
    • MK3 steering knuckles to allow bigger brakes
    • Corrado G60 front brake calipers & carriers (11” vs stock 10.1 or 9.4 stuff)
    • Corrado G60 front Brembo rotors (11”)
    • Polo 6N rear stub axles and wheel unit bearings because the original tapered bearings aren’t nearly reliable enough
    • Polo 6N rear Brembo rotors
    • MK4 rear calipers on MK3 carriers for less weight and less chance of seizing
    • Neuspeed 25mm front sway bar
    • Neuspeed 28mm rear sway bar
    • Bilstein HD shocks/struts for years of reliability and a well controlled ride
    • Corrado VR6 springs fir a hair firmer and lower ride
    • 1" rear wheel spacers to match wider MK3 based front stance
  • Interior:
    • 1992 Jetta GLI Recaro power seats
    • 1992 Jetta GLI Recaro door cards
    • MK3 TDI instrument cluster from donor car with mileage matching engine
    • Continental radio with Bluetooth/calling to maintain a fairly OEM look and original untouched wiring while incorporating modern features
  • Exterior:
    • 7-slat Euro single-round grill
    • Euro H4 headlights for improved beam pattern and output
  • Wheels/tires
    • 15x7 Borbet type E wheels
    • 185/60R15 Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max Tires installed at 141,406 miles

For the full 92 Jetta TDI photo gallery follow the link below. you can use the tool bar on the lower right to view the pics at original size (52MP) so you can pixel peep to your heart's desire:
http://www.legendaryfoto.com/Automotive/1992-Jetta-TDI/

I had a quick minute Friday to grab a quick video or the TDI starting after 2 weeks of not running in a 60 degree garage - it's as close to a proper cold-start video as I can get in California: https://youtu.be/JCXQcb86Wgc

The VIN # is: 3VWRK21G4NM051978

As you can see in the pictures, this car isn't the pristine concourse-winning all original show-queen the coupe is, but this car is fully functioning and ready for daily use. Every last feature on this car works; every backlight, every switch, knob, A/C, Power steering, power seats etc... The only things that are really imperfect enough to mention are that the dash has cracks (like all the MKII's from sunny California), and the passenger rear seatbelt has some fraying where it looks like it may have been closed in the door at one point. This car is also a diesel - so it NEVER needs smog in the state of California! Unlike my POS 2011 Golf TDI (dead at 217K mi with blown DMF, cracked DPF, busted EGR, and destroyed fuel system), this car should be relatively trouble-free over the next 250,000+ miles, just like my other VE TDI's have been.
Asking $12,000 USD OBO (All offers are welcome and will be considered).

Here's a link to the VWVortex ad that includes the other low mileage MKII (all original 31K miles)
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?8336193-FS-L90E-Duo-89-Coupe-31K-original-miles-amp-92-Jetta-TDI-swap-163K-miles-29-000-NorCal&p=101562505#post101562505

Sorry the cars aren’t a clean as they could be and the pictures are a bit rushed - I’ve had very little time between work and doctor visits. I’m sure there’s a lot I’m forgetting. :confused: If you’ve got questions feel free to post/PM and I’ll get to them as soon as I can.

And as a final note: The whole reason I’m eager to sell is that I will be out of work for 4.5 months or so while my wife Ashlee gets a stem cell transplant, and she’s already been out for almost 3. If you find it in your heart to donate to our GoFundMe, here is a link. Anything helps and is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 GTI +TDI, Lifted 98 NB TDI, Corrado TDI Swap, 15 Golf TDI, a dozen TDI motors etc...
Update:

Updated original post with VIN# and more details regarding features, condition, and registration. :)

Thanks for looking!

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
Just read about this (and the other car) on bringatrailer and then vortex. I'm not in a position to purchase either car right now but perhaps someone here is.

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
Price Drop!

Wow! It's been a pretty wild week! :eek:

This ad was shared by both Bring A Trailer:

http://bringatrailer.com/2016/12/02...-1989-volkswagen-jetta-coupe/#comment-1304167

and Jalopnik:

http://jalopnik.com/for-14-000-is-this-1992-vw-jetta-tdi-a-great-car-and-1789683660

It appears only about half the folks over in the Jalopnik poll liked the price for the TDI "Nice Price", while half thought it was too much "crack pipe", so I've yanked 2,000 from the pice of each car ($4K total) to hopefully get them sold soon.

So I am now asking $12,000 OBO for the TDI

and $14,500 OBO for the Coupe.

or $25,000 OBO for the pair.

And OBO means "Or Best Offer" - meaning all offers are welcome and will be considered :thumbup:

Thanks for looking! :)

sackman

Veteran Member
TDI
2(2003) 2Dr ARL/ASV
Gorgeous swap!

Got to ask, what Lens / camera did you use?

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
'67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '10 Cup Edition
Gorgeous cars! GLWS!

I am quite curious, though... What is that intercooler setup out of?

MARTICUS

TDI
98 mkIII Jetta
Best of luck with sale and recoveries!! Praying you guys are blessed though this ordeal.

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
Gorgeous cars! GLWS!

I am quite curious, though... What is that intercooler setup out of?
yeah - that detail is buried in the looooong first post: MKII Golf GTD W/AC.

Best of luck with sale and recoveries!! Praying you guys are blessed though this ordeal.
Thank you! :)

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Pending Sale, Coupe Still Available

Sooooo - the TDI is now pending sale to one of our most experienced TDI gurus here on the club. Some logistics to take care of and it will be off on an adventurous road-trip to find it's new home and maybe a bigger turbo! :D

The all-original 31K mile Coupe (gasser) is still available!

Thanks for looking!

- David

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold!!!

The TDI is officially SOLD! I made a quick trip home from the hospital the night of Christmas Eve to pick the buyer up from the airport and get him filled in on all the details of the car. He's now well on his way home on an epic 3,000+ mile adventure that takes him through Portland and then east across this frozen country. I made it back in time to open a few gifts with my wife and be there while they cut off what's left of her hair that was falling out. It was not the Christmas we had expected, but is sure was as good as it could be! She's doing better than normal for a transplant patient and I've got less to worry about with one of the cars sold. Big thanks to all who made offers on the TDI - you were all kind and made offers that weren't at all unreasonable.

The 31K mile 89 Coupe is still available if anyone is interested in an untouched piece of 80's VW history! Anyone not get what they wanted for Christmas? Now's your chance!

Thanks again for looking!