FS: 2010 Lux Limited Touareg TDI w/factory tow pkg, air suspension, leather, warranty, more.. 157k. Location: 85022. $11,200/offer

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Recently bought a small cargo van and no longer need the Touareg.

156,800 miles
Lux Limited with 2-tone (cream/brown), heated, real leather seats
2 years, 20,000 miles remaining on Dieselgate warranty
Factory tow package
Nav
Heated steering wheel
Directional and self-leveling HID lights
4 corner air suspension w/all new pump & controller
Factory inverter with 110v power plug in cargo compartment

Following needs work:

3" crack in windshield, out of driver's view, but going to get worse
Radio head unit not working
Driver's side interior door handle missing
TPMS sensors dead
Driver's side fog lamp glass broken
Rear hatch automatic opener works great, but doesn't stay open for more than 15 seconds
Driver's side interior door handle missing

The good things:

This is the most stable, sure-footed towing vehicle in it's class, possibly ever designed. It's factory rated for 6700 lbs.
The air suspension is incredible. I think all cars should come like this. Simply superb in every possible respect.
Paint in excellent condition. Zero rust too, as it's a west coast vehicle. Some normal scratches on front bumper and minor dings, but overall, the paint hasn't faded and the vehicle is garaged.
Heated leather seats and steering wheel are so comfy.
Up-to-date on recalls and all engine work.

More photos at this google photo album

2021-12-14 23_49_36-Calculator.jpg

Last edited:

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
VIN is WVGAK7A93AD003078

I've also updated the list to add another 'needs work' item in the post above.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
If you were within a few hours of Atlanta, I’d be setting up a time to look at it.

GLWS

Anyone's welcome to send a mechanic to pick it up, take it to their shop, and do a PPI. All I need is their driver's license and verified business location.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
Phoenix, AZ
I have never serviced the transmission. I have owned it since 134,000 miles (it was a dieselgate buy-back vehicle). If the prior owner did, it might show up on a carfax. I can take more interior photos so you can see the color pattern better. It'll be after Christmas.

snoopy smiles

TDI
B4 and Touareg
Phoenix, AZ
I have never serviced the transmission. I have owned it since 134,000 miles (it was a dieselgate buy-back vehicle). If the prior owner did, it might show up on a carfax. I can take more interior photos so you can see the color pattern better. It'll be after Christmas.
I am in Tucson area , which part of Phoenix?

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
I've added photos of seating to the album. There are no rips or tears. No serious sagging anywhere. There is some soil on the right-side, rear seat. Overall condition is fair/good. The two-tone leather colors are brown/cream.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
Updated top post:

• Price drop to $11,200/offer. I really want this to go to a club member or someone who'll appreciate the T'reg's strong points, and not just put it on ebay auction. I have resisted that so far
  • Updated the 'needs work' section to include cracked fog lamp on driver's side
I *think* that my price factors in getting most of the defects, which are largely cosmetic stuff 'up to snuff' for a 11 year old gem, even if you have to pay a shop to do most of the work. They will never make a diesel SUV that tows this well, and is this stable, ever again. And keep in mind, this has the dieselgate warranty, which is BETTER than the original factory warranty, for another ~26,000 miles/ 24 months or whichever comes first.

But if you want to offer something else, hit me up with a PM and we'll talk.

I'll give it a few more days and take it to ebay auctions.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
Last edited:

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
Quoting from: www.vwdiesellookup.com:

Results for your
2010 Touareg Utility 4D TDI AWD
Volkswagen Emissions Modification Programs

Vehicle (VIN) Included in Settlement:YES
Modification Approved by EPA and CARB:YES
Modification Completed for this Vehicle (VIN):YES
Vehicle has Extended Emissions Warranty:YES

Quoting from VW court settlement:

Extended Emissions Warranty Coverage
Once the updated emissions control system software has been installed in your vehicle, Volkswagen will extend your Emissions Control Systems Warranty for certain emissions-related components. For the following Volkswagen 3.0L TDI engine vehicles that receive the approved emissions modification recall, a warranty extension is applicable as defined below:
 2009 to 2010 MY Volkswagen Touareg with engine code CATA
Warranty Period
The warranty period for the “Extended Emissions Warranty” shall be the greater of:
 10 years or 120,000 miles, whichever occurs first from the vehicle’s original in-service date; OR
 4 years or 48,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage at which the emissions modification was performed.
The vehicle’s original in-service date is defined as the date the vehicle was delivered to either the original purchaser or the original lessee; or if the vehicle was first placed in service as a “demonstrator” or “company” car, on the date such vehicle was first placed in service.
Extended Emissions Warranty
Coverage (continued)
Parts Covered Under Extended Warranty
The emissions control system warranty covers the entire emissions control system, including (1) all components which are replaced as part of the emissions modification, and (2) any component which can reasonably be impacted by effects of the emissions modification.
The emissions control system warranty shall cover the following parts or systems:
The entire exhaust gas after treatment system, including the Diesel Oxidation Catalytic converter (DOC), the Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) Catalyst, the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF), the dosing injector and other Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) system components, any exhaust flap, and all sensors and actuators;
The entire fuel system, including fuel pumps, high pressure common rail, fuel injectors, and all sensors and actuators;
 The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system, including EGR valve, EGR bypass valve, EGR cooler, EGR filter, all related hoses and pipes, and all sensors and actuators;

The turbocharger system including all related hoses and pipes, all sensor and actuators;
The engine control unit (ECU) and the transmission control unit (TCU); and
The On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system, and any malfunctions detected by the OBD system.
Additionally, the engine long block warranty shall cover the engine
sub-assembly that consists of the assembled block, crankshaft, cylinder head, camshaft, and valve train.

In our continuing efforts to assure proper performance of your Volkswagen vehicle, your dealer will diagnose and replace the emissions-related components listed in this section, if necessary, at no cost to you as long as the vehicle remains within the time and mileage limits of this warranty extension. Please keep this warranty booklet and deliver it to any new owner, along with the owner’s manual.
This warranty extension covers only the diagnosis and replacement of the emissions-related components listed in this section. Should you ever sell the vehicle, this warranty extension is fully transferable to subsequent owners.
This warranty extension will not cover:
 Any damage or malfunctions caused by installation of non-EPA or non-CARB certified emissions related parts, including such damage or malfunction to parts needed for proper diagnosis of a covered part.
 Damage or malfunctions caused by outside influence, such as damage due to an accident, or vehicle misuse or neglect, but only if the damage or malfunction is causally related to the accident or vehicle misuse.
All existing warranty provisions remain in effect. The extended emissions warranty includes parts, labor, and applicable taxes. The extended emissions warranty shall not void or supersede any existing warranty. Conflicts concerning the warranty are to be resolved in favor of the consumer.
More information about your extended emissions warranty coverage is available at www.vwdiesellookup.com.
Transferability
This extended emissions warranty is fully transferable to subsequent owners.
Warranty Notices
All normal warranty provisions remain in effect.

Last edited:

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
Photos of some repairs done. More of the repair invoices in the google photo album (link in top post). All of the repairs related to emissions and SES light were performed 100% under warranty:

2021-12-30 13_18_09-Clipboard.jpg2021-12-30 13_19_24-Clipboard.jpg2021-12-30 13_15_44-20211229_170903 (1).jpg ‎- Photos.jpg

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Just FYI, plenty of transmission related things will cause the MIL to illuminate. There is no "check transmission" light. ;)

GLWS.... I wish I wasn't so frightened of these things sometimes. They do drive nice, and they do have some really nice attributes.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
LOL. I was scared too, but these lines in the supplementary warranty gave me peace: " and any malfunctions detected by the OBD system. & Conflicts concerning the warranty are to be resolved in favor of the consumer. " That's way, waaaaaay better than a factory warranty, IMO. And in practice, the Scottsdale dealership I go to has bent over backwards to honor it. Zero argument or guff of any kind. They did one EGR system repair on their dime, they communicated clearly and proactively about timelines and what was going to get fixed, and they provided courtesy ride back home. I have extra vehicles, so I didn't need a loaner, but they offered it.

Other than that, the engine mechanicals have been 100% solid. I wouldn't hesitate to take it cross-country. I replaced the drive shaft bearing assembly, which are known to need replacing every 125k-150k miles. So, that's fresh for another 135k miles. And some pack rats attacked the air suspension's wiring, which is why I repaired it all and put in a new compressor/actuator.

The most surprisingly pleasant things and what I'll miss the most was:

• the acceleration to freeway speeds says to me the car has a LOT more than 225 horsepower at the crank. Feels more like 275 at the wheels. It gets up and scoots. Freeway passing maneuvers are stress-free. Just press the accelerator harder, and she'll get up and hustle around whatever db is trying to cut you off.
  • air suspension is really freaking nice. I'm seriously considering upgrading my Ram Promaster City van's rear suspension to automatically-managed air suspension. The Touareg has always felt confident, stable, and has made towing stress free.
  • The short rear overhang and very capable OEM towing bar with 7 pin connection and backup camera makes backing up a trailer a breeze. The Touareg was clearly DESIGNED to tow, a lot. Check out the reviews.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
Makes me wish VW would enter the small cargo van market here, maybe with the T5,and compete with the Ram Promaster City (/Fiat Doblo), Nissan NV200, and Ford Transit Connect.

If VW put a small diesel with a manual option in a small cargo van here, it'd dominate the competition in fuel economy and towing. The PM city I have is limited to 1890 lbs load in the bed (not bad for a unibody FWD van really), but only 1900 lbs towing. Barely adequate. Fuel economy has been 25; not too awful. But a VW ALH would get about 35 or better in comparison.

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
I think all the Doblos in other markets are diesels (and likely manuals, too). We'll never see that here. We just get the Hyundai/Kia/Mitsubishi/ChryCo "World Engine", with Fiat's Multiair twist, and bolted to the ZF 8/9sp slushbox. We service a bunch of those, and other than nutty software updating runarounds and constant name/regime changes (Stellantis, anyone?) they seem decent enough. The ZF's shift mapping is a little goofy, even after the 11th software change to try and improve it. Not sure why they thought such a large displacement gasser needs so many ratios, but whatever.

I think the Transit Connect is probably a better package.... and at least it is all Ford, and not likely to be bought out or taken over anytime soon. So long as you don't get one of the short-lived Ecoboost engines they tried in them. Yeah, those were not good. Bad and fragile in a car, downright awful in a commercial van. But the standard issue 2.5L is a solid engine. And again, these are mostly all diesel+manual in other markets, and we'll never see that.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
Yep, considered the Transit Connect very seriously, but the PM City won on out cargo volume and ease of load/unloading. Plus the Transits command about a $5,500 premium over all the others. Yet forum reviews aren't that much better. The PM City has the best cross-section (meaning you can load boxes in/out by simply sliding them around and don't have to perform 3d-jujitsu box wrestling.

And the shifting IS really wonky, especially the 1-2 shift on cold engine start: very harsh and weird. Why does VW market the T5 transporter in Mexico and not here? They could easily get 1/3 of the small cargo van market pretty quick. They'd just have to get rid of the top-opening rear hatch in favor of a side-opening one.

oilhammer

TDI
Well the T5 is bigger.... the Transporter. And they DID market those here, passenger only from 1972 onwards, but sales were so poor they just stopped even those.

The Doblo and Transit Connect are more akin to the Caddy van. Car based, and quite popular elsewhere... but as we all know, Volkswagen seems hell bent on doing everything possible to insure nobody has a reason to enter their North American showrooms. I expect that won't change.

The other issue of course is "MURRICAN!". Even though the "Ram" Promaster City is about as American as Harbor Freight tools, and the Transit Connect is all Euro-Ford (assembled in Turkey), the fleet buyers as well as the often union brainwashed tradesmen that drive these won't drive anything "for'n". So.... (but the Nissan NV200 wearing a bowtie and sold as the City Express at Chevy dealers is OK.... LMAO..... idiots). Same reason why the Sprinter sales went DOWN after they were no longer sold as Dodges. Same van, same parts, same country of origin.... different grill. But now somehow it is taboo for union HVAC workers. DERP.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
I considered the NV200/Chevy City for about...4 microseconds. Just can't get over how fugly it is, and the reviews are not great. Not much useful cargo space and a tiny loading cross section (worst in the segment) killed it for me. I can see the T5 Transporter size-wise (many variants possible) is generally slotting between the small van segment and the commercial van segment like Transits, Promasters, and Sprinters. Maybe they should slap a bowtie on it, lol.

Loved your comment about vw not wanting any showroom visits, lol. Their marketing is ...bizarre to say the least. Seems to me they've lost the story thread.

oilhammer

TDI
Well I would not say looks are the Doblo's strong suit, either.... :D But I also don't think style is high on that segment's selling points anyway.

For a mid-size van, we only have one option: The Mercedes-Benz Metris. And, of course, no diesels and no manuals. They are also RWD, which may make them not so great in poor weather conditions when lightly loaded. Probably also takes away some of the useful rear cargo area.... they have IRS, too. But even the short wheelbase is about 50 cubic feet more cargo than the little guys. They cost more. They should.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
The other consideration for cargo vans is low loading height, to save back and legs. Again, the PM City won in that regard too. Lifting heavy stuff to a high-floored, RWD van sucks.