FS: 2003 Jetta wagon, 5sp $11500

quantum_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
R320 CDI, '96 B4V (for sale)
SOLD- TDIClub does it again

:DThat's all she wrote folks, SOLD

Moving to more walkable environs and keeping only one TDI for trips...

You can see it in my signature. It lived in the midwest until we moved at the end of 2009. I bought from JasonTDI at 116K miles, TB and other work to bring all maintenance up to date done at that time.
  • GLS (Heated cloth seats [used seat covers], Monsoon stereo)
    Shocks/struts had been done shortly before Jason picked up from original owner.
    Rocketchip 2
    TDI Heater
    Just replaced control arms and added TT bushings to tighten up front end.
    Both front fenders replaced ~125K miles on the fender recall.
    Extra set of steel wheels f/ snows.
    Monster mats + trunk liner
    Skid plate

Pics here: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjqc45z7
I'll be adding interior shots when I dig up my camera again

She goes to craigslist next week so TDIClub gets a few days before the CL hoards descend... I much prefer to deal with a clubber.

Last edited:

cfm56

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI SportWagen
Goodluck with the sell. Imo your asking a lot for the miles

roadhard1960

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon GLS 5 speed
Goodluck with the sell. Imo your asking a lot for the miles
152,000 miles is low miles for that year. i am rolling up on 300,000 this summer. If someone knows VWs and TDIs that is nothing but if he had fenders replaced that is another story. I live on the land of no salt. I would not fear a 300,000 mile VW. Especially if the car has been maintained.

cfm56

Veteran Member
TDI
in tdi world 152k isnt bad at all if maintained properly. However to the normal world, 152k in 8 years is alot. If he averaged 15k miles a year he would be under the 152k mark. I've seen other tdi's with less mileage go for less on ebay, CL, tdiclub, autotrader etc.... Im not trying to attack the OP, however in my opinion thats alot of money for a 8 year old car with 152k miles. The buyer will need to come up with cash because i find it hard to believe that a bank would give out a auto loan on such a car. Either way, goodluck to the seller, your wagon is nice :)

quantum_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
in tdi world 152k isnt bad at all if maintained properly. However to the normal world, 152k in 8 years is alot. If he averaged 15k miles a year he would be under the 152k mark. I've seen other tdi's with less mileage go for less on ebay, CL, tdiclub, autotrader etc.... Im not trying to attack the OP, however in my opinion thats alot of money for a 8 year old car with 152k miles. The buyer will need to come up with cash because i find it hard to believe that a bank would give out a auto loan on such a car. Either way, goodluck to the seller, your wagon is nice :)
OK, I've watched this kind of crap here for years and will just make one summary statement to all price whiners using you as an example. So I guess you can say I'm not attacking either if it makes you feel better. Your opinion doesn't drive the market- and that market is seeing prices on these go up by the week.

Yes you probably have seen them for less cfm, and you should be more explicit you have no idea how those cars were treated. Reference me and JasonTDI to see how cars under our watch have been treated. There is no question about maintenance, knowledge of the owner & mechanic, etc. I work in fuel quality testing for God's sake. A majority of the mileage I put on over the last year was highway (120 mile round trip to Seattle) with a few consulting jobs taking me 100's of miles in a day. Mileage is a major reason I own a TDI.

Do a nation wide search and you'll see this is one of the better ones available. I expected there would be some TDIClub price whining (still not as bad as CL) and seriously just considered advertising among friends but I'd like it gone sooner rather than later as I hate seeing these cars sit. It is more expensive than the average 8 YO car, but I assume you're on TDIClub because you know that and you're here for reasons other than complaining about the price of cars...

In addition your assumption about cash vs. loan may be incorrect for some banks; mine wouldn't bat an eye for at least a majority of the price as I have great credit and a good bank. Your mileage may vary.

I'm left wondering what your purpose other than attacking the price I decided to start at is? I see that you're looking to buy based on other posts (price whining on the NY wagon, red wagon, the Santa Cruz wagon) so I can only assume you're interested in driving prices down...

quantum_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
If someone knows VWs and TDIs that is nothing but if he had fenders replaced that is another story.
That was a known problem on 2002 and 2003's. The fenders were not prepped right and salt or no salt, they often had rust where the lip of the fender liner caught things at the back or the apex of the curve. As the WI dealerships seemed willing to do the swap, I got it done before I moved to Seattle. I'm just putting it in for full disclosure. You can see in the pics paint match was impeccable and there is no rust on the car.

Last edited:

jonferns

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf
Beautiful wagon! :) Too bad you're so far away, im tempted to sell my '04 and pick up a wagon. Good luck with the sale!

Mike_V

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Well-maintained 2003 5-speed wagon, great condition, moderate miles, chiptuned and skidplated, fresh suspension and on the West Coast? While gas prices are over $4/gal? Looks like a fair price to me!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I don't think selling this will be a problem in the PNW. My B4V went there, and as flipped for a much higher number than I would have dared ask for it.

My '02 wagon with 246K on runs very much like new. And the body is as tight as ever. These cars do seem to hang together well.

Good luck with the sale. I doubt it'll be long before you find a buyer.

quantum_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks guys, I didn't think the pricing was too out of line. I'm certainly not asking Green Car Co prices and this one is to be trusted more... :D

rogerd

TDI
2010 JSW, 6 spd, white
Looks fairly priced to me for the PNW, relative to value. And like you say the Greed Car Co would be asking $14k for the same spec, with unknown history. Unfortunately, circumstances have taken me out of the market, or I'd be up your way and doing a deal. Good luck with the sale.

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
I wish I had the money, I'd fly cross country to have an alh 5spd JW with only 150-160K miles on it at that price.

Thanks for telling me. I just had a kid, and well, I'm still watching the money fly out the door.

On a side note, i lived in oak harbor for 4 years. I loved it up in washington, such beautiful country.

good luck selling it, not that you'll need it at that price. i was looking just for fun down here, and i can't find any 03 sedans under 14K that don't have 200-250 k miles.

Last edited:

cfm56

Veteran Member
TDI
OK, I've watched this kind of crap here for years and will just make one summary statement to all price whiners using you as an example. If you read my post, im stating an opinion and not whining about your price. Whining would of been typed up in a different sentence structure. If you care to take the time, go head research and see for yourself that there are alot of other active members on this site who comment on pricing as well when a TDI is listed...you can consider it "critiquing". (if you dont like it...grow thicker skin, specially considering the behavior on this forum as well as other ones that you should be well aware of)
So I guess you can say I'm not attacking either if it makes you feel better. Actually, i feel fine...apparently you got offended by my post which is why your using reverse-psychology in your sarcastic reply.
Your opinion doesn't drive the market- and that market is seeing prices on these go up by the week. Did i say anywhere that my opinion drives the market??? that would be foolish and stupid to say the least...you to mention it falls in the same category IMO

Yes you probably have seen them for less cfm, and you should be more explicit you have no idea how those cars were treated. You are right, im not aware of "their" mechanical condition.Any buyer that purchases a vehicle has to take the owners "word of mouth" as truth regarding maintenance unless paperwork is provided...even then you technically should follow up with the maintenance personnel that performed the maintenance to verify authenticity and proper procedure followed in the related mx tasks.This goes even for your car even though you come across as a "straight-shooter".
There were two fine TDI wagon specimens that sold on this site in the past 1.5-2 months that were maintained properly with different mods accomplished on them that sold for around ...2k less then your asking (yes they were automatics, however one had a brand new tranny with an upgraded vlv body)
...did i bother to call each CL listing or ebay posting? no.This however doesnt mean im knocking on your wagon in a mechanical perspective and or comparing yours directly to all the other tdi's out there. Reference me and JasonTDI to see how cars under our watch have been treated. again...you seem offended as though im attacking your technical skills or maintenance upkeep of your TDI...im not and have not.
There is no question about maintenance, knowledge of the owner & mechanic, etc. I work in fuel quality testing for God's sake. A majority of the mileage I put on over the last year was highway (120 mile round trip to Seattle) with a few consulting jobs taking me 100's of miles in a day. Mileage is a major reason I own a TDI. again, i didnt attack your mechanical ability or upkeep of your car....its a bit confusing how you reached the point where your defending your mechanical ability/upkeep of your car because i made my opinion on your pricing.

Do a nation wide search and you'll see this is one of the better ones available. I expected there would be some TDIClub price whining (still not as bad as CL) and seriously just considered advertising among friends but I'd like it gone sooner rather than later as I hate seeing these cars sit. It is more expensive than the average 8 YO car, but I assume you're on TDIClub because you know that and you're here for reasons other than complaining about the price of cars... your right, your car is rare...its easier to purchase from a fellow tdiclub member who has a history on here of being active and showing some sense of input and knowledge regarding vw TDI vehicles...However, i am not contesting your cars "rarity..not sure if thats a word :)" or mechanical condition...i just stated my pricing opinion based off your mileage...thats it (not sure why your claws came out). Regarding your assumption of my club membership...your "dig" at me is a bit childish and annoying to be honest with you. Im on here to learn, to help others when i can and yes to keep my eye out for a good deal on TDI"s as i enjoy these vehicles (this is my fourth). Again i contest your "whining" comment. Your are incorrect sir, i have the write to state my opinion and i made no attempt to offend you.....if that was my intention, my paragraph structure would be quite different and i would be attacking you. IM NOT.

In addition your assumption about cash vs. loan may be incorrect for some banks; mine wouldn't bat an eye for at least a majority of the price as I have great credit and a good bank. Your mileage may vary. well your assumption on my assumption may be incorrect as well. However banks do not see the TDI market the way we fellow TDI'ers do...they look at it using KBB and other vendors who provide similar services in association with car purchasing advice, so their pricing me be a smidgen off. Just because you have great credit and are a member at a good bank doesnt mean that every buyer out there has the same expectations as you due in regards to attaining a partial loan on an 8yr old car with 152k miles on it.My comment regarding the financial aspect of this transaction was regarding a car loan...not a partial loan (the picture may change if a certain percentage of the transaction is carried by the buyer rather then the bank)

I'm left wondering what your purpose other than attacking the price I decided to start at is? you are wrong (again).I was stating my opinion not attacking you.
You probably sat there a bit ticked off that i stated my opinion and decided to proceede fwd in attacking my comments in an unfair fashion due to your emotional unstability at the time. I recommend calming down, relaxing, and then replying in such a circumstance so at least that way, you come across with valid points rather then childish attacks and mis-observations.

I see that you're looking to buy based on other posts (price whining on the NY wagon, red wagon, the Santa Cruz wagon) so I can only assume you're interested in driving prices down...
actually your wrong...i've decided to hold off on a tdi wagon purchase as im starting a business investment instead. If your going to continue on this dead end train of "me whining"...please post the threads so i can defend my actions. The red wagon (the one in san fran), i was beat to the punch otherwise i would of purchased it for the price that the owner was asking...ohh and i think it was cheaper then what your asking. Regarding the other wagons...i am not sure what my comments were on them, however im sure they were valid at the time and in no way were they attacking from my point of view. Your assumption is wrong...i dont know you, dont give a caca about your wagon and or if you sell it and or what you sell it for...for all i care sell it for 20k...or if it sells for 2k because someone may want to take the time to put it on a lift and do a thorough inspection for rust damage to the undercarriage...i really dont give a crap. kapish? :) If i see a price i feel is a bit high...yea i will comment. I have that right on here and in this country as well.

and for those who took the time to read this multiple page essay :eek:, i sat down for the past hr or so to defend myself rather then letting this guy ^ attack me in an unfair way. If i ever have stood to be corrected on this site, i have apologized and have no issues with lowering my ego to do so...however when this ^ BS occurs i will not stand on the sidelines and be attacked..no sir i will not. Like Harvieux says... "later" :D

cfm56

Veteran Member
TDI
and you up there in gig harbor, your right in one thing...you might just get what your asking for...when i was looking for one (not to long ago) the market was a bit lower. HOwever, i personally wouldnt pay that money for that old of a tdi wagon with those miles. I rather get one with a auto for 2k less or more that has been treated well the majority of its life and just do the five speed swap when the auto gives out. and this is MY OPINION...not whining!

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
The car is nice.

I worked on it. Kyle cares for his stuff. The price is fair in the market its in.

Simple.

It's called capitalism and despite Kyle's left leanings ;) he's good at it!

Most, OK, EVERY car on CL and Fleabay is a rat-box. At least in my experience. They come in with $4k in work needed so......

quantum_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Well cfm, you are entitled to your opinion- we all have 'em. I guess I can say thanks for the bump and I hope you find what you're looking for.

You must admit you'd be a little peeved if the first thing a person posted on your for sale post was "you're asking a lot for the miles" regardless of their opinion. It is the kind of thing you suggest stepping back and waiting on. Try it, you'll like it. And I guarantee everyone else will too.

and you up there in gig harbor, your right in one thing...you might just get what your asking for...when i was looking for one (not to long ago) the market was a bit lower. HOwever, i personally wouldnt pay that money for that old of a tdi wagon with those miles. I rather get one with a auto for 2k less or more that has been treated well the majority of its life and just do the five speed swap when the auto gives out. and this is MY OPINION...not whining!

Last edited:

DieselOx

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Sedan 5sp 342,000mi
I'd expect to pay 13k for that car if I had the money, with it's pedigree. $11.5k is totally fair for PNW, with Green Car Co and Nice Cars hoovering these up and flipping them like voracious monsters.

Please don't sell it to one of them, they're animals. (I think my brother in law bought your B4v wagon a while ago: Green with a big BIO sticker on the back? Maybe I'm confused.) If that was you, I have to say the car was all it was advertised to be, no surprises. Still his daily driver.

quantum_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks DieselOx. The B4V wasn't mine, but I did sell my blue one just after I got the black one in 2006.

No chance this is going to a flipper if I smell anything fishy... I am charging fair value for private party in my estimation.

cfm56

Veteran Member
TDI
well i apologize for coming across that way. Here is your 3rd or 4th free bump ;) :)

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Great looking car, and for the price, that can't be beat! ANYTHING on the westcoast, comes with a premium. I think this might even be the wagon I was going to buy from Jason before I got my B4V. A wagon with history, another plus!

Being that the car came from the Wisconson area, mind expounding on any rust issues other than the fenders? If there's nothing to worry about, then retract my question =)

I hope a club member can get in on this.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Used car prices ar up a good 20-25% in the last year or so. Especially small fuel efficient cars. Just purchased a 2009 Nissan Versa Hatchback Saturday for 11,111 plus tax, license,and other stuff. 12,200 out the door, Car has 17300 miles.

We shopped hard for it and used car prices are way up!

Best luck with the sale, you will get your price!

quantum_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold

Pending Sale. Looks like this one is staying in Washington folks... and a new member soon to be putting on many highway miles could be enjoying for many years to come. I'll let him introduce himself if he so chooses.

I sure appreciate all the support folks- as should always be the case with these sales, on closing the TDIClub gets its donation. :D

quantum_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Great looking car, and for the price, that can't be beat! ANYTHING on the westcoast, comes with a premium. I think this might even be the wagon I was going to buy from Jason before I got my B4V. A wagon with history, another plus!

Being that the car came from the Wisconson area, mind expounding on any rust issues other than the fenders? If there's nothing to worry about, then retract my question =)

I hope a club member can get in on this.
Sure- no rust issues. As the fender item was something I could get replaced easily out there it did it at first sign of the flecks on Jason's recommendation. While it lived out there on my watch, it was getting regular undercarriage cleaning. I was not able to detect any rust issues on purchase or last inspection.

DieselOx

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Sedan 5sp 342,000mi
I don't mean to be crass, but for the education of the rest of us, I wonder if you would be comfortable telling us if you got your asking price?

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Nice sale Kyle.

The cars stay a lot more rust free if the stay OUTSIDE in the winter. Warm garages are the death of any car. CONDENSATION and salt kills them.

quantum_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Nice sale Kyle.

The cars stay a lot more rust free if the stay OUTSIDE in the winter. Warm garages are the death of any car. CONDENSATION and salt kills them.
Yep... I think of it kind of like flash frozen fish. Not a great as fresh out of the salty sea (You know that 20K mile wagon that never saw salt and grandma drives with a lead foot), but waaaay better than if was warm for a few days. ;)

Lugnut

TDI
2004 Jetta, Gray
For nice wheels that have obviously been cared for, you pay more. My 2004 Jetta TDI just turned 162,000 miles, and I have a box full of parts in the garage ready to go on (shocks, struts, full brake job with new rotors, timing belt). Thought about trading recently - VW dealer wanted to allow me a little over $4,000. I politely declined and decided to keep on keeping on. It runs too good to let it go.