FS: 2002 Golf - VNT17, 6MT, PP764, Recaros, etc. plus CarPlay

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
:SOLD:
Had this all but sold a couple years ago, then the buyer backed out at the last minute (pro tip: get a down payment in some form from teenage buyers).

Anyway, I drove it the past couple years just for kicks...and damn - was I grateful that that dumba$$ kid backed out - what a hoot to drive! But changes in our life situation means that four cars for our two-person household...just doesn't make sense (and we don't have space in the driveway).

So, here's the story on the car.
  • 2002 Golf, bought at ~95K km (60K miles), and have had fun driving it ever since. :)
  • Currently at ~328K km (204K miles)
  • All maintenance done by me, with care and attention (minus the first TB job, which was oldpoopie)
  • VNT17
  • PP764 injectors
  • Malone Stage 4 custom tune
  • 6sp. MT, along with Sachs PD150 clutch, purchased from Darkside in the UK
  • Pioneer NEX8000 (CarPlay capable) head unit;
  • Jetta LED-lit vents
  • Full FIS-MFA instrument cluster
  • 1-¼" hitch receiver
  • Brand new Conti PureContact tires (like, there's literally ten kilometers on them) all the way around
  • Big brake upgrade
  • Recaro GLI seats
  • Hella OEM glass-lens projector headlights, upgraded with HID bi-xenon projectors and fogs - CNlight 4300K bulbs put out great light! Flip on the high-beams and the shutter flips down, plus the high-beam bulb - feels like I see better at night on a dark road than during the day
  • And probably some more stuff I'm forgetting (like rear fog light and Euro headlight switch)
  • VDS-PRO mods to open / close all windows with key fob; AND unlocking doors also unlocks the hatch - no more needing to use the key fob every time you want to open the hatch! (Just figured this one out a few months ago)
  • Audi 3-spoke leather steering wheel; wireless volume / track / source controller mounted on the SW, too, if you want it
  • Evoluton Imports Atlas (I think that was the model) aluminum skid plate, with sound deadener mat applied to it; also have that Dynamat-type stuff in the front doors
  • Euro wipers front and rear - less than a year old on the wiper blades

Current timing belt is less than halfway through its mileage lifespan - done at 260K km (60K km ago) back in 2014. Never had an issue with the engine - it's been a champ!

Downsides: No really noticeable rust, but the paint on the front took some pitting and thus the plasti-dip black "car bra" on the front bumper cover and grill.

Pinch welds were folded over and the rocker panel there mushed a bit (can still be used to lift the car, mind you) thanks to sloppy tire-change (needed a flat fixed at 8pm - Walmart was the only place that'd get me in :mad:).

Car has Firestone's lifetime alignment purchase, so if you ever need an alignment - bring it in (came in handy when I was doing the transmission, and then the lower control arms - oh yeah - that have the R32 solid rubber bushings).

You'll get the car with a fresh oil change (it's due in about 2000km).

it's cleared for import into the US (I have the letter from VWoA saying it meets emissions and whatnot, in the event you'd need it).
I'm on Vancouver Island, but I'd be willing to drive it over to the Vancouver area if you put up a deposit to cover my travel costs ($200).

Photos...

And with the DRLs on:

Recaros (passenger and driver seats):

CarPlay:

FIS Cluster:

6sp. MT (short shifter):

Rear seats (have spent most of the last 12 years sitting in the garage - no kids, so barely ever used):

More next post...

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
...continued:

Monster mats and R32 pedals:

So new they still have that new-tire smell:

Headlight off:

DRL setup (in addition to the bumper LEDs):

Signal light goes from white (DRL) to amber (flashes amber on/off) when signalling:

Awesome little engine:

Backup camera:

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Damn man, I'm sure you're sorry to see it go.. I assume you're in BC? Might know a guy whose interested. I'll refer him your way.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes on both counts - it's tough to let it go because I've had so much fun working on it and getting it to this point, and it's just so fun to drive.

And yes, I am in BC, but a few years back we sold our '01 to a couple from San Francisco - they flew into Vancouver, I met them there, and they and drove it home.

Thanks for putting in the word to your buddy.

ron keiser

TDI
05 passats tdi
Ha, I'm interested. Ron Keiser here in Sacramento, Ca. I was in both Vancouver and Victoria once with my wife. We loved our time their. I bought an 05 tdi from a man from Bainbridge island and drove it home. Wonderful again. Any chance? (916) 761-3730 or rongkeiser@gmail.com

TDI
2001 Golf TDI (very soon I hope)
TDI Guru in Sac?

Ha, I'm interested. Ron Keiser here in Sacramento, Ca. I was in both Vancouver and Victoria once with my wife. We loved our time their. I bought an 05 tdi from a man from Bainbridge island and drove it home. Wonderful again. Any chance? (916) 761-3730 or rongkeiser@gmail.com
Hey Ron & Nuje,
Ron: I was wondering if you know of any TDI guru's in our area? Look's like I'm just about to get my first TDI!

Nuje: This post answered some of my concerns about importing one from BC, as I have seen several sedan's for sale up there recently. I grew up in the Seattle Area, and visited BC often as a kid—love the whole PNW region. Based in Cali now and happy to meet the acquaintance of TDI folks on the West Coast.

—Zak

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah - the importing of cars from US to Canada is quite the production: You have to inform Canadian border which crossing you'll be arriving at three days in advance (that's three business days) get there during business hours, have a pile of paperwork, expect to spend a couple hours, pay 12-20% duty/tax...or pay a customs brokerage firm like $1000 (plus duty/tax) to do all of that for you.

But going the other way...from what I've read and the experience of the two people who've bought cars from me, you just show up at the border, tell them you bought this car and you're bringing it into the US, they take a quick look (maybe), look up what the value of the car is, charge a ~4% (can't remember exactly, but it was pretty small) import fee or whatever, and send you on your way. Neither has had any issue at all - CPB didn't even ask for the letter from VW stating that the car meets US emissions standards.

ron keiser

TDI
05 passats tdi
Hello Zak and Nuje, I don't know of anyone in Sacramento that professes to be that type of guru but, I have become acquainted with owners and techs of tdi's at Kombi Haus and Niello that have been very helpful. I'm very willing to talk Zak. I'm really excited about Nuje's 02 Golf in BC. Ron in Sacramento

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thought we had a deal in place, but haven't heard from the (ostensible) buyer in over a week. So....back up for grabs I guess.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Buyer has officially notified me that he's out due to some health issues; sent his deposit back to him.

Good price for good car - drop me a line.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Dang! If I dont have the ALH wagon I would be all over this car. You truly have a nice looking ALH golf.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
...well, there'd also be the issue of getting it from PNW to FLA. But thanks for the kudos!

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Deal in place; deposit accepted!
Thanks to everyone who expressed interest.

TDI
2001 Golf TDI (very soon I hope)
Sorry to both of you guys for the delay: I’m not sure how I missed this thread so badly.

Nuje, sorry to hear your buyer backed out and thanks for the import info. Ron, I’d love to link up and talk TDI sometime; I’m back in the area.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
And car is sold!
Gotta say - feeling somewhat melancholy seeing it go, as I learned a lot by doing so much with this car. But the new owner has texted me a couple times already saying how much he's enjoying it, so I'm glad its found a good new home and will get lots of opportunity to romp around.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Congrats! He made me jealous lol I just sold my 03 ALH wagon 5 speed. She was blast to drive at stock state. Slow indeed but fun.