FS: 2001 Jetta TDI 5-spd in Houston

jettajim

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Golf 6-spd, '12 Passat gasser:(
  • 1 owner, non-smoker
  • Silver with gray cloth, GL
  • $4500
  • Complete maintenance records. All work performed by me. NEVER saw ANY shop!
  • Car made only 1 out-of-state trip. Rest of time it was only used for work
  • 230,322 miles. 10.5 years of 74 miles/day commute. Covered parking at work
  • Garage kept entire life
  • Amsoil by-pass filter (search using jettajim in 7/2001)
  • Amsoil Be-100 used since new. Changed to BE-90 just last November
  • Delvac 1 is only oil used in crankcase
  • Check engine light came on 5 times: 3 for glow plug replacement, 1 for glow plug harness, 1 for brake light switch
  • TB: 2/2013, 88,000 miles until next job. This was the deluxe kit from metalmanparts. Cam & crank seal, new left engine mount
  • 5th gear set: 3/2011
  • Michelin Hydroedge: ~13,000 miles remaining (3rd set-great tires)
  • Mufflerectomy: original muffler is available (kept in attic)
  • Euroswitch: original is available
  • Original 15" steel wheels with ~ 60 miles. Box kept in attic. Extra $75
  • 5/2010: Bilstein TCs on all 4 corners.
  • 5/2010: VR-6 springs in front
  • 5/2010: 10mm aluminum spacer on each strut in front
  • 5/2010: All new front suspension--tie rods, ball joints, bushings, links
  • Cat fuel filter
  • Elephant hose
  • Deleted EGR cooling with kit from dieselgeek
  • Fuel pump o-rings: 3/2013, replaced the head & body o-rings and adjusted IQ, of course
As noted, all modifications were performed to improve fuel mileage and engine life. No leaks of any kind from car. AC is cool and never had to be worked on-it should be charged this spring--this is a DIY job.

One accident: 9/2007, I left the car in neutral and it rolled backwards into a tree.

The photo of the crack in the front bumper cover was due to a hit & run. They peeled the bumper cover back and it cracked at the point seen in the photo. No other damage was done.

All speakers need to be replaced. I have new blauplunk & pyles but never installed them-included.

Selling the 2001 Jetta because I bought a 2014 Golf TDI. The 2001 is a very dependable car. NEVER had any problems! Regular maintenance & care is the key. I get ~56 mpg.

Interesting note: the car was bought in 8/2000. Both stickers expire in 8/2014.

EVERY drop of diesel put in the car has been recorded!

Some pics are in the Members Albums under jettajim http://pics.tdiclub.com/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=1991

E-mail me for more pics.

Please let me know if there any questions. As stated earlier, I have the records of everything that was ever done to it. I only listed bigger items above.

Thanks,

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
Jim,

So the IP has not been replaced or rebuilt yet? Only the couple of seals changed out in it so far, correct?

Original turbo too?

Have the rear axle beam bushings been replaced yet?

Have the e-brake cables been replaced yet?

Both keyfobs still? If so, do both work?

thanks,

Kirk

jettajim

Veteran Member
TDI
Kirk,

The IP & turbo are original. I have used PS since day one for lubrication.

The only suspension work done to the rear were the Bilsteins. The front got everything replaced. The front bushings were replaced with Audi TT bushings and polyurethane bushings.

The e-brake cables have not been replaced. No need to in Houston where it's flat as a pancake and the car is out of the sun.

Funny about the key fobs, they both work and the only one ever used is still on the original battery! I always unlock it manually--just a habit.

Thinking about the key fob, I have all the original paperwork, the 2nd key fob and some receipts.

Thanks,

jettajim

Veteran Member
TDI
Here are a few things I should have mention in the original post:

• transmission fluid was changed in: 2/2001, 3/2003, 1/2009, 3/2011
  • complete cooling system flush (which included new Tstat & o-ring): 2/2002, 4/2006, 4/2010
  • power steering fluid was flushed with every TB job: 3/2003, 3/2007, 2/2013
  • all TB jobs were performed 5,000-20,000 miles less than recommended. I did them based on weather:) Didn't want to get stuck doing them in Houston summer!
  • complete brake & clutch flush 4/2013. Also did air & pollen filter. New front rotors (Brembo) & pads.
  • battery: always bought from VW--they were actually the cheapest and last 5-6 years. Yearly battery maintenance included adding depleted distilled water.
All fluids are:

• Delvac 1- crankcase
  • tranny - VW (tried Amsoil but didn't like the feel)
  • coolant - G12
  • power steering: VW
  • brake - Valvoline Synthetic
If there are any questions, let me know.

Thanks,

jettajim

Veteran Member
TDI
Has the Clutch been replaced?
Southern,

The clutch, transmission, engine are all original.

The only time this car has seen any hills were overpasses. The only out-of-state trip it made was to Colorado.

Thanks,

jettajim

Veteran Member
TDI
The EGR wasn't deleted. It was only blocked off from the cooling lines. I used a kit from dieselgeek that was fabricated for this specific use.

I've always had a vagcom. This is a must-have for TB jobs. I also used it to make small adjustments to the IQ after I got it in range manually.

The deck lid (trunk lid) locking mechanism broke twice and I hardly ever used the trunk! So I disconnected the wiring harness in the deck lid and made the trunk only able to be opened manually--with a key. If the alarm is on and the trunk is opened manually, the alarm will sound. This can easily be reversed by buying the required locking mechanism from VW.

Thanks,

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
That looks like well maintained specimen an in great condition too. IMO, there should be people lining up to buy a TDI like this.