FS: 1996 B4V Passat Wagon TDI - Hazel Park, MI

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
SOLD
For sale is my 1996 VW B4V Passat TDI wagon.
I'm asking $5k for it, but am willing to entertain serious offers.
301,513 miles and counting, but this is no longer my daily driver, so mileage shouldn't be going up too much.
There is so much to list in this for sale thread, so I'll be updating it over the next couple of days. I wanted to at least get the pictures posted and some information listed.

Purchased the car with roughly 185k miles on it back in March of 2009 from another TDI club member:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=241298

Storm Gray paint.
Blue gray cloth interior with black dash and trim. Gray headliner.
Sunroof - sunshade fabric is sagging. I'm going to try and repair this before the sale.

Engine:
Fully rebuilt at roughly 290k miles by Whitbread.
New timing belt kit (belt, tensioner, roller, water pump, etc.)
BHW pistons, Rosten Rods, Rosten valve springs, Colt cam stage II, Steel Girdle to keep things in place, PP764 injectors by DBW, Windage tray, ARP head studs, head refreshed by Franko6, head ported and polished by Matt Whitbread.
PD150 intake manifold.
GTB1756VK turbo
Rocketchip performance stage 6 - just had the tune dialed down to 27 PSI. While the engine can take just about anything you throw at it power wise, I'm more worried about the axles or drive train at this point, so the most I'll get it up to is 20-22 PSI. My wife and friends say that I drive this car like a grandma, lol.
11mm ALH injection pump
Larger oil cooler installed

Transmission
5th gear oiling modification - drill 2 holes in interior case to allow oil to flow freely to 5th gear
.622 5th gear - great for highway cruising
Wavetrac differential
All syncros replaced when the wavetrac was installed
O2J shifter box
Southbend clutch stage 2 daily

2.5" turbo back exhaust custom made by Whitbread
FMIC and 2" aluminum inter-cooling piping by Whitbread

Cat Fuel Filter & Kerma fuel filter widget

Filter minder on air box

VDO lighted gauges on top of dash. Lights are green in color to match the back lighting of the dashboard and also dim with the dimmer switch.
30 PSI gauge
EGT gauge

Ecode headlights - Glass housing so you'll never have to worry about the sun clouding up your headlights
Functional leveling motors. Raise or lower your headlights manually with the interior dial. Hauling something heavy and you need to lower your headlights to compensate for the load in the rear of the car, just move the dial up or down to adjust accordingly.
Fog lights.
EuroWires - Special wiring harness with relays to allow low beams, high beams, and fog lights to stay on all at the same time for those dark country roads.
5 brake light mod so the lights on the tailgate light up as well when you brake.

Suspension:
Koni yellow adjustable struts and shocks with OE springs.
Powerflex strut mounts. No gap between the strut tower and the body of the car!
Audi TT control arm bushings.

Aftermarket Pioneer head unit with CD player and USB. The sale includes the stock radio for you purists.

Blender door heater repair to replace all the deteriorated foam from the blend door. This was the first project I did on this car.

Maintenance:
You'll get a copy of the spreadsheet I keep for the vehicle
Oil changed every 5k to 6k miles with Mobile 1 TDT 5W40 or Rotella T6 5W40
Larger oil filter used
Oil change and transmission fluid change will be completed before the new owner takes possession.
New tires at roughly 300k - Michelin Defenders 195-70-R14 - slightly over-sized due to not being able to find 195-65-R14 in a name brand tire.

General condition of the car:
Please keep in mind that the car is now over 24 years old. I feel that it's in great condition for its age. With that being said, there are stone chips in the paint, some scratches on the back bumper, wear and tear that should be expected throughout for a 24 year old car. I don't believe there are any door dings, surprisingly enough.

There was a slight accident where we spun out on an icy road and hit the front end of the car against a metal railing / barrier. No frame damage or air bags were deployed. A new bumper skin was installed as well as a new driver's side headlight (Ecode / glass). I had the hood, bumper, and both front fenders painted at the same time to get rid of the rock chips on the front end of the car.

There is some wear on the interior, but there are no rips or tears in the fabric seats. The rear seats fold down like they should and also recline roughly 3 inches.

***All door handles work perfectly and are very easy to operate***

All interior lights and gauges work as they should. All switches work.

AC is functional, but there is a slight leak. I have to recharge it once every 12-18 months. I replaced the condenser, drier, expansion valve, and compressor, so I'm guessing it's a loose connection or bad o-ring somewhere.

Currently, there are poly engine mounts installed which are too harsh for my liking. I'm planning on changing out 1 or 2 of them to OE engine mounts to help reduce the engine vibration felt inside the car. When you're stopped at a light or not moving, the car shakes due to the poly mounts. Once you're moving, it's completely fine and normal. I'm told that they will break in and the vibrations won't be as bad. If you don't mind this and don't want them changed back to OE mounts, please let me know. It will be one less thing for me to worry about.

There is rust in 3 locations - see pictures, lower right corner of glass on tailgate, passenger side front door near the side view mirror, and passenger side roof where it meets the windshield. These are all surface rust and should be somewhat easy to fix or correct as nothing is rusted through or even close to rusting through.

Extras:
I do have a full rear bumper assembly from when VW had these on clearance. It's unfinished, so it would need to be painted, but it includes the crash bar and bumper skin.

I have an extra 14" steel wheel that come with the car.

I also have a 5 lug rear axle beam as I was planning on doing a conversion, but never got around to it.
A full set of "bottle cap" 15" (I believe) 5 lug wheels that are in okay shape but will need new tires.

Any extra parts and pieces I have will be included. Misc lights, door handles, air filters, oil filters, cabin filters, etc.

There are 2 keys and the VW owners manual.

I know I'm missing some things, but I will keep editing the thread as I remember them. Please ask for any additional info or pictures. This has been a great car and I've enjoyed working on it and meeting new friends at get together's and TDI Fests with this car. Some great friendships have blossomed because of this car and TDI Club. I will miss it, but it's time for me to move on and pass the torch to someone else who will be her caretaker. I did get a random "that a really clean looking car for it's age" this past Sunday from a guy in a GTI, so that was cool!

Attachments

Last edited:

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I wanted this car really bad years ago when it was 1st purchased....sadly that never happened now I drive a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel as my Daily driver.....My Wife drives my 2015 Award winning Jetta SEL TDI Manual.....and I also have my sweet BMW 328D XDrive......
Good luck in your sale of this well loved Classic!

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
I wanted this car really bad years ago when it was 1st purchased....sadly that never happened now I drive a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel as my Daily driver.....My Wife drives my 2015 Award winning Jetta SEL TDI Manual.....and I also have my sweet BMW 328D XDrive......
Good luck in your sale of this well loved Classic!
Thank you Tomo, I appreciate it. I hope you and your family are doing well! We do have similar taste as I now drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel as my daily and the wife drives a BMW 328d x drive too! I still have the 05 Passat, but that may be going up for sale sooner than later.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Thank you Tomo, I appreciate it. I hope you and your family are doing well! We do have similar taste as I now drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel as my daily and the wife drives a BMW 328d x drive too! I still have the 05 Passat, but that may be going up for sale sooner than later.
We lost my 96 year old Mom to Covid in May still no Funeral my Granddaughter had it and has recovered.....we had to close our Family Business and lay off our staff reopened now but a shadow of our former business.....so tough times!

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
We lost my 96 year old Mom to Covid in May still no Funeral my Granddaughter had it and has recovered.....we had to close our Family Business and lay off our staff reopened now but a shadow of our former business.....so tough times!
So sorry to hear this Tomo! Keep your chin up and let's hope the worst is behind us during these trying times.

thatwhitejsw

Veteran Member
TDI
MK6 JSW TDI
Absolutely beautiful car. I hope to one day be able to own something like this to cherish for a long time to come. GLWS!

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
The car is sold! I hope the new owner enjoys it as much as I did. I will miss her though!