SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None currently. Previously owned 04 Golf TDI & 05 Passat GLS Wagon TDI
FS: '04 Golf GL TDI, Immaculate, + Extras $10500

price dropped to $10,500 and **more new images added to post #5 below**

if interested call 540-537-4896 or email rob@virginiatennis.com

Summary:
  • 2004 VW Golf GL PD100 TDI - meticulously maintained mechanically and aesthetically
  • 113k miles, runs and drives better than new
  • 5spd Manual Transmission
  • $2500 - Kenwood Excelon Sound System (very clean professional installation)
  • Llumar Window Tinting
  • OEM VW Avus Wheels
  • BRAND NEW TIRES: General Altimax HP (10/2/09)
  • FM100 5-micron Fuel Filter Upgrade
  • New Timing Belt, Water Pump, etc at 101k miles
  • Wolf Custom Care Cover Included
  • more details below and here LINK
Note: much of the text below is copied from this thread LINK when i had initially considered selling my Golf and decided not to. If you're seriously interested in this car reading over the old thread is recommended.

i'm finally off the fence ... this car *is* now for sale and for only $10,500.

**more new images added to post #5 below**

in March of this year i bought an 05 Passat Wagon to meet the size demands of my growing son, his friends and our dog, and i've also increased my commitment to using cars less and bicycling / walking more so since March i've hardly driven the Golf (only roughly 900 miles of use from March thru October).

the Golf has been sitting under our carport and under it's Wolf custom car cover with premium NOAH fabric - only occasionally being uncovered and driven.

in my opinion, this is actually sad, as the Golf had been my meticulously cared for daily driver from the date i purchased it on June 24, 2004 until March of 2009. as hard as it is for me to part with my Golf, it doesn't want or deserve to sit unused.

Glow Plug and ECM Update: 04/05 Golf TDIs were part of Emissions Service Action 28E6/R8, in which the stock ceramic glow plugs are replaced with steel glow plugs and the ECM software is updated.

i removed the stock ceramic glow plugs myself (as i wanted to be certain they were removed very carefully and completely. all four did come out intact and i've saved them and still have them), and i installed new updated (N-105-916-07) steel tipped glow plugs, then drove to the dealer with the glow plug harness disconnected and the dealer updated ECM software and reconnected the glow plug harness.

also, there's a new rear seat cover included with the sale. it's OK but not great IMHO. but it does keep the rear seats clean. the only item mentioned previous / old thread that is not included in the sale is a set of used winter tires and wheels as they have since been sold to a friend.

i'd love to attend the 2020 TDIfest and see this car, my old Golf, entered in the show-n-shine contest.

FWIW - we drove up late to TDIfest this year in our Passat, just in time to catch the end of the show-n-shine contest. we'd just driven 250 miles and were not planning to enter the contest but they let us last-minute enter and the Passat got 2nd place! since i've owned the Golf since new it's a significantly cleaner car than the Passat. i really enjoy caring for our cars both mechanically and aesthetically.

thanks!

-------------------------------------------------------------
from originial post (2005)

i completely intended to keep this Golf for it's entire life. i absolutely LOVE the car, it is flawless, and i've cared for it since day 1 with the intent of keeping it for 500k+ miles/20+ years. it was my first new car, and it is just barely a year old. in fact, the 2nd thread i started as a TDI club member is Tips for getting an entire A4 TDI to 500k?

to my knowledge my Golf was the first PD100 in the 1000 mile club, yes i've driven it over 1000 miles on a single tank of fuel (1012.0 to be exact).

• 2 colgan custom bras - with 2 i could put a clean dry bra on immediately after washing so the front end is never unprotected.
  • 2 sets colgan custom mirror covers
  • Wolf Evolution Custom Car Cover - with 4 layer Block-It Fabric
  • llumar window tinting - protects the interior from sun damage, reduced the need for AC use which improves fuel economy, and it looks cool
  • mud flaps
  • monster mats
  • front seat covers since new - keeps seats in absolutely = to new condition
  • rear seat protector since new
  • seat back protectors since new
  • SHIFTER MOMO Combat Evo Leather shift knob / boot kit the stock OEM shifter is also included with the sale and the MOMO could be uninstalled / stock reinstalled in minutes
  • FUEL i've also fueled the Golf almost exclusively with biodiesel blends (primarily B5) using top quality ASTM certified virgin soy biodiesel produced by the www.virginiabiodieselrefinery.com. biodiesel is said to lower wear rates significantly, and this claim corresponds exactly with the very low wear rates seen in the Golf's used oil analyses.
  • AUDIO Kenwood Premium Audio System
    this IMO is a truly oustanding sound system that i spent over $2500 on.

even though the rear sub is 12", due to the enclosure design it leaves a lot of room in the hatch. i haul additional gear around in the hatch all the time, and when needed the sub speaker can easily be removed and seats folded down to create loads of cargo room.
    +front speaker - MB Quart Premium components
    +rear speakers - MB Quart Discus components
    +subwoofer - MB Quart 12" Discus
    +amps - Kenwood Excellon 960w 4 channel and Kenwood Excellon 1600 watt mono
    +phatbox - Kenwood 20gig Music Keg
    +sirius satellite radio tuner - Kenwood (included in the sale but not currently installed)

i'm an audiobook addict, so the 20gig DMS will come loaded with ~25 unabridged novels, mostly mysteries, that the vehicle's next owner can wither enjoy or easily delete. even with all the audio books, less then half of the 20 gigs of space are currently used, so you could keep all the audio books and add roughly 6000 songs.

ALARM UPGRADE: i also upgrade the alarm by adding a shock sensor to the factory alarm, so if someone bangs their hand on the car or broke a window the alarm would sound. with a stock alarm, a person could break a window take all the contents from inside the car and the alarm would not sound. the theif would have to reached in, after breaking the window, and opened the locked door from the inside to trip the stock alarm.

i've also installed a 15" air restriction meter (Air filter Minder):

this will alert you to a clogged or abnormally restricted air filter, and the filter should be changed at or before 15" of restriction (a brand new filter creates 10" restriction).
  • WHEELS i upgraded the stock steel wheels with VW OEM Avus alloys.
  • TIRES the car has brand new (less than 10 miles on them) General Altimax HP tires. these are incredibly well rated and reviewes premium all-season tires.
  • RECEIVER HITCH also included is hidden hitch, 1-1/4" trailer hitch. carefully installed and wired - ready to receive a hitch-mount bike rack or tow a trailer.
  • AIR-LIFT KIT
  • i will also include a new OEM MANN oil filter, oil, and a pre-paid oil analysis kit for the new owner's next oil change.

my estimate is that i have 24,000 invested in this TDI and In my opinion it is a far better car now than when it was new.
i will gladly deliver the car to anywhere 1200 miles from VA, provided that the buyer pays for a greyhound bus ticket for my return to VA (generally less than $60).

since it's custom fit, it takes less than a minute to put it on and take it off, so i use it most nights (unless it's raining when i come home) the car is both covered and under my carport. you may be thinking that's nuts/overboard, but it really only adds less than a minute to my morning and evening routines - and it really makes a difference. when i wax both of our TDIs water tightly beads and the surface retains that super-slick feel far longer on my Golf than uncovered vehicles.

USED OIL ANALYSIS (UOA) - there is a CAT Fluids Analysis Lab just two miles from my home, i know eveyone in the lab and have the fluids (motor oil primarily) analyzed routinely in all my vehicles. i've had the oil in Golf analyzed very regularly since it was new to confirm the good condition of the oil and the health of the engine. the Golf's UOA results have consistently revealed that the oil is in outstanding condition and engine wear is exceedingly low. it runs and performs today better than new.

SERVICE - the car has 113,000 miles on it and all service, including the timing belt change at 101,000 has been performed by me and my father. we do it ourselves because we know what we're doing, we take time and great care in performing all maintenance tasks and we believe that if you have the know-how, the best way to be certain something is done right is to do it yourself.

to give you an idea as to the type of relationship i have with this car, how much it's meant to me, and my family's "support" - i've literally had a birthday party for the car on June 24th of each year and my Mom would send a birthday card - just like the Golf was one of my kids. nuts, i know, but when then next owner see and drives the car they will probably appreciate the relationship ;).

Last edited:

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
i've installed a tracking device, a 24/7 live-feed webcam and i have a security team at the ready in case the next owner tries anything like that! :D

no apps this time ;) - but i would be stoked to see this Golf entered in future TDIfest show-n-shine contests. my son and i are going to enter our Passat again next year - for fun - but also in hopes of improving on the 2nd place award we got this year.

cheers! rob

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
also more new images added to the original post#1 of this thread above

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
very very nice car. makes me want to buy another! :(

keep it in storage until the young ones are ready to drive ;)

calebchesh

TDI
none... yet
Very Very clean car man.... I love that color! Let me talk to my wife and see if i can convince her about driving a manual.... Wish me luck lol I would love to be the next owner of this... member of my family lol i have thought about doing birthdays for my cars but i have never bought new... Free bump if i cant convince her though...

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
BRAND NEW TIRES: tomorrow I'm having the Nokian i3s replaced with new General Altimax HP tires.

http://www.generaltire.com/tires/T2

Click here for TIRE RACK's General Altimax HP Information, Survey and Reviews

The current Nokian i3s still have useable tread on them and if I were keeping the car I would continue driving on them for another 10-15k miles, but since the i3s are probably 3/4 of the way thru their service life I've decided to replace them so the car's new owner will have fantastic, new, all-season tires to begin enjoying this car with.

I've read a ton about these tires and based on the many incredible reviews and survey results for the General Altimax HPs they were eventually to be my next tire purchase.

The vehicle price stays at $10,750 which I firmly believe is well below the actual value of this car and now even more so!

(PS - thanks for the nice comments burpod and calebchesh)

Last edited:

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
SUNRG said:
BRAND NEW TIRES: tomorrow I'm having the Nokian i3s replaced with new General Altimax HP tires.

http://www.generaltire.com/tires/T2

Click here for TIRE RACK's General Altimax HP Information, Survey and Reviews

The current Nokian i3s still have useable tread on them and if I were keeping the car I would continue driving on them for another 10-15k miles, but since the i3s are probably 3/4 of the way thru their service life I've decided to replace them so the car's new owner will have fantastic, new, all-season tires to begin enjoying this car with.

I've read a ton about these tires and based on the many incredible reviews and survey results for the General Altimax HPs they were eventually to be my next tire purchase.

The vehicle price stays at $10,750 which I firmly believe is well below the actual value of this car and now even more so!

(PS - thanks for the nice comments burpod and calebchesh)
I too heard that these are great tires. Way less scratch than the Michelins and I may try a set on my baby if I ever get to 40K miles or so. ;) BTW, very sweet vehicle and I wish you the very best in your sale. Later!

volmaniac

Veteran Member
McFadden's Ford, Stones River NMP M'boro, TN
TDI
02 Golf GLS
SUNRG said:
That is what I did back in the spring on our golf after the i3's went from about $60/tire to over $100 a tire. I have been happy with the altimax tires and the wife loves the way it drives on them.

Your car is a beaut no doubt!!

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
thanks guys!

FWIW - i'll leave this sale up here exclusively through the weekend and if i don't have a TDIclub buyer by Monday i'm going to begin advertising this thru numerous other channels.

keeping my fingers crossed that her new home will be with a TDIclub member :D

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
SUNRG said:
thanks guys!

FWIW - i'll leave this sale up here exclusively through the weekend and if i don't have a TDIclub buyer by Monday i'm going to begin advertising this thru numerous other channels.

keeping my fingers crossed that her new home will be with a TDIclub member :D
Did I mention how great your presentation is on this as well? ;) Later!

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Keyboard Ninja said:
I want this car!!! BUT I'm still in Okinawa, Japan until Feb 2010 :(
No problem. You buy it, I'll go down and pick it up for you, and I'll take real nice care of it until Feb. for you. For free even! :D (just don't watch 'ferris bueller's day off' in the meantime)

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
frugality said:
No problem. You buy it, I'll go down and pick it up for you, and I'll take real nice care of it until Feb. for you. For free even! :D (just don't watch 'ferris bueller's day off' in the meantime)
No, I'll take even better care of it and make sure it gets plenty of exercise....it will be ice racing season soon :D

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
thanks Harvieux ;)

Keyboard Ninja - if you're sincerely interested, you could purchase it and we could have it put in storage until you're back stateside.

this vehicle will be available exclusively to TDI club members thru Sunday - Monday the sale will be published thru numerous other sites, locally, AutoTrader and on craig's list.

i'm really hoping to have a commitment from a TDIclub member before Monday - so far lots of seemingly sincere interest but i don't have a firm commitment yet.

globalexplorer

TDI
00 Golf GLS 220K, 02 Jetta Wagon 190K, 12 Golf 20 K, 10 JSW 38K
Sunday bump for a great car - it looks like he must have driven it around with that fancy custom cover on it to keep it in that shape! Wish I was closer...good luck with the sale

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
thanks globalexplorer & MNTDIFAN :)

unfortunately, even though i've had a lot of people express an interest, i do not yet have a purchase commitment from a TDIclub member. so...

i've dropped the price to $10,500.

and i am about to begin publishing the sale thru numerous other channels. if anyone reading this knows of someone that could be the market for a vehicle like this i'd greatly appreciate your help in forwarding a link to this thread to them.

cheers! Rob
540-537-4896
rob@virginiatennis.com

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
$10,250

At this price this is part car sale and part gift.

I've been so busy that I have not yet begun to list the car elsewhere, but, I will be doing that shortly.

Note: this price does *NOT* include any upcharges for the mods i've done. i understand that at resale expenditures on mods are generally lost.

to be clear, the price is approximately the NADA value of this vehicle but because it is in truly exceptional condition it's value is significantly higher, before mods are considered.

all upgrades are basically a bonus for the next owner, including but not limited to:
  1. window tinting
  2. $2500 car audio upgrades
  3. OEM monster mats
  4. OEM mud guards
  5. MOMO shift knob
  6. Stanadyne FM100 fuel filtration upgrade
  7. Hidden Hitch Tow Hitch
  8. Trailer Wiring
  9. Air-Lift Kit
  10. Seat Covers
  11. Wolf Custom Car Cover
  12. Colgan Custom Bra & Mirror Covers (two complete sets)
  13. Brand New Tires (have literally 2 miles on them) General Altimax HP
  14. Alloy Wheel Upgrade (stock steel wheels upgraded to VW OEM Avus)
  15. Spare Wheel Upgrade - Yes I even purchased a 5th VW OEM Avus wheel so the spare is identical to all other wheels.
  16. Air Filter Minder
NEW ADDITIONS TO THE SALE
  1. VW OEM Roof Rack
  2. Yakima Hitch Mount Bike Rack

Last edited:

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
FWIW - i just listed this car on craigslist http://roanoke.craigslist.org/cto/1419273697.html

And I just placed an add on AutoTrader so within 24 hours it'll appear on AutoTrader.com, Edmunds.com, MSN Autos, MSN Latino, NADAguides.com and Univision.com.

I'd still love to see this car go to a TDIclub member, so if you've been considering this vehicle, now is probably a great time to give me a call 540-537-4896.

Thanks! Rob

dunerking

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
SUNRG said:
FWIW - i just listed this car on craigslist http://roanoke.craigslist.org/cto/1419273697.html

And I just placed an add on AutoTrader so within 24 hours it'll appear on AutoTrader.com, Edmunds.com, MSN Autos, MSN Latino, NADAguides.com and Univision.com.

I'd still love to see this car go to a TDIclub member, so if you've been considering this vehicle, now is probably a great time to give me a call 540-537-4896.

Thanks! Rob
Rob,this thing would have been in my driveway already if you were closer.You don't plan coming out west do you?

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
SOLD to TDI club member DanG144

i'm *very* happy that this Golf's new home will be with a TDI club member, and Dan I hope you enjoy it as I have for many many years to come!

cheers!

Rob

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Dan & Robby (DanG144 & dieselfueler) came up from SC and picked up my Golf today ... what an incredibly nice couple of people and TDI enthusiasts!

I love that Dan is the new owner of the Golf. I'm completely confident that he'll maintain it very very well - though he did admit that it may never be this clean again ;).

That said - it was SO hard seeing the Golf drive away. I know it's just a car but I've spent so much time caring for it, driving it, reading and writing about it here on TDI club ... that car was a big part of my life since I drive it off the dealer lot June 24, 2004. My ownership of that TDI fueled most of my learning and contributions to TDI club. A truly fantastic car!

Best wishes Dan!!

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
To all the keyboard jockeys, you missed out on a stellar TDI at a crazy price. I sent this ad to my brother in law, knowing it was out of his budget, but as an example of the type of seller I would buy from, sight unseen, in a heartbeat. Congrats DanG, you got a great car.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
And, indeed, I did buy it sight unseen.

After all, SUNRG is a trusted member of this community.

Without the used oil analysis, I would have wanted a cam inspection. But he is MR. UOA.