FS: 03 Jetta TDI GLS WAGON 5 speed

DieselMarauder

TDI
1997 B4V
Who did the head rebuild? Do you have documentation of the work done during the rebuild? The Unitronics tune works okay on stock turbo and stock injectors?

BadNewsMike

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta TDI
I had the documentation when i bought it... but im sure thats long gone. Im lousy about keeping that stuff it was some shop in ohio. but all things considered its got 50K more from the build so id say there is nothing to worry about. and at 190K its kinda silly to lie about it..

My last ALH went to 360K and had a unitronics tune. from 170K on with the stock turbo. and as far as a know that car is still being driven in NC to the couple i sold it to.

BadNewsMike

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta TDI
Its very clean. I had the Dealer replace the fenders under warrenty. It has a few small spots of bubbling started but for a North eastern car most would call it Rust free.

other then the deer dent in the left rear wheel well. its very clean.

Sorry i took the pics with my Iphone in a lifeproof case. If some one needs better pics I can have my wife break out the Nikon D70.

DieselMarauder

TDI
1997 B4V
I would love to see some high quality pics. I've been looking for a higher miles car that's been well maintained.

Does the radio have an auxiliary (like headphone cable) in? I see the USB, memory slot, etc.

BadNewsMike

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta TDI
the cable that is at the bottom of the pic is an Iphone4/ipod cable.
my wife has an Iphone4s so she uses that I normally connect my Iphone5 vie bluetooth.

as for just a generic AUX i dont think so. but most devices use bluetooth now anyways.

As for better pics Ill see what i can do.

DieselMarauder

TDI
1997 B4V
Oh, the radio can do Bluetooth audio (as in music, not just phone)? I am just surprised because my current daily has a pretty new Bluetooth but no music connection.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
The MKIV wagon market must be getting soft. I thought that this would have sold in a day or two based on asking price and condition (and those nice leather seats that I want).

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
If this was for sale in February of this year I would have done a fly and drive!! Nice car!!

BadNewsMike

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta TDI
I havent been the best at responding to emails and such so might be a little my fault as well.... i keep having those moments where i think do I really want to sell it... but i just don't need it. both me and the wife work a 5min or less walk to work.

I have spent alot of time and effort making it what i wanted adding the rear heated seats, the power seat ( i mean who dosnt hate the stupid roller to recline) and the Navi headunit.

Also Im including the stock wheels with all-seasons (those tires are in ok shape at best)

and i forgot this car has the Audi TT shifter sooo much nicer.

EDIT: also in case you miss it my phone number is in my SIG

BadNewsMike

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta TDI
Someone asked for a walk around video so i posted a couple on my photobucket they load slow so sorry :/

Also for some resone the car sounds louder on the phone then it does in real life. not sure why the Iphone picked it up that way.

http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v467/badnewsmini/IMG_1769_zpsc187f0eb.mp4

http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v467/badnewsmini/IMG_1770_zps749fa0a3.mp4

http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v467/badnewsmini/IMG_1771_zpsab621cdf.mp4

Short Drive: (hard to drive stick and video at the same time sorry :/ )
http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v467/badnewsmini/IMG_1782_zps94592258.mp4

BadNewsMike

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta TDI
So i thought i had someone who was flying in to by the car, but after looking at the history report decided not to.
I HIT A DEER, thats what the dent in the quarter panel is from. it will reflect such on the car fax. I had to call the troopers to remove the body from the road and dispose of it.

when they filed the police report it somehow shows the car being salvage this is not the case the title is clean clear and in my hand:

the insurance did pay me to fix the quarter panel I just kept the money and it never bothered me enough to fix it.

PLEASE if you want to come drive the car or see it to buy it. have that in mind. after this Im posting it up on Craigslist local as anyone who sees the car wont be disappointed.

Last edited:

Tap2112

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 5sp (SOLD), 2002 Jetta GLS auto (gave to daughter), 2003 Jetta GLS Wagon 5 sp (SOLD), 2006 Jetta TDI PKG 2 with Nav
Mike,

Here might be the problem.

The physical title you are holding in your hand was likely issued before the accident, and therefore shows clean. After all, they can’t retroactively change the piece of paper you are holding. But that doesn’t mean the car will automatically be re-titled with a clean title for a new buyer. That may depend on the state in which the new owner titles the car.

Here’s generally how it works….

Once your insurance company got involved they do an analysis to determine payout vs current market value. Since these cars carry a much lower book value than they are actually worth on the open market, your insurance company probably considered this a branded car and notified someone at the department of motor vehicles (or somewhere else in the system) because of the size of their payout, relative to the book value of the car - usually set at 80% of book value but can vary by insurance company.

That doesn’t mean your car is a bad car, and since the state of NY does not brand titles more than 8 years old anyone buying the car in NY and keeping it there will likely never show a branded title. But all states may not have the same 8 yr statute of limitations so someone titling the car in another state could possibly end up with a branded title if it is showing up in the system somewhere as branded.

Last edited:

DieselMarauder

TDI
1997 B4V
Thanks Tap for the explainer. I'm the guy who backed out of the sale and I'm still quite bummed about it. I'm bummed because I really wanted the car and because I did already buy a ticket, board my dog, and take a day off work, so I've lost some money. I'm trying to avoid any thoughts of malintent on Mike's part as he's been very straightforward about the car and very friendly, so I'll just detail why I backed out.

I got the VIN from Mike and ran it through the free VinCheck provided by the National Insurance Crime Bureau. I highly recommend this tool as it's saved me from bad buys before and it's free. It doesn't give you a full history report like Carfax or AutoCheck but it at least gives you a go / no-go gauge to prevent buying a stolen or salvaged car. The result I got was this:

VIN: Wvwsp61jx3w592412 has been identified as a vehicle listed in the VINCheckSM Salvage Records.
Date of loss: 2014-05-29
Cause of loss: Animal

I did also run an AutoCheck report on the car in hopes of getting more details and it came back clean. Now, as you can see, the loss was less than two months ago, so it will most likely not show up in a Carfax or AutoCheck report yet. Also, because of this short time between the incident and the report, none of the guarantees from Carfax would apply (here's a great article from Consumer Reports detailing this fun piece of fine print).

So, while I really wanted to not believe the VINCheck, I had to back out of the purchase. If it turns out later that the title really is clean, then I'll be back and gladly buy it. I would just need to see a new title, issued after the date of loss above, with no "S" brand on it.

BadNewsMike

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta TDI
This would not be the case. Please state your experience on the matter. I have sold a 01 Jetta to an owner in nc in the same situation this is and will never be titled salvage.

NY does NOT salvage cars older then 8 years

Please DO NOT say things you don't know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DieselMarauder

TDI
1997 B4V
This would not be the case. Please state your experience on the matter. I have sold a 01 Jetta to an owner in nc in the same situation this is and will never be titled salvage.

Mike, with which part are you disagreeing?

I did just read up on NY salvage laws and you're right that they don't brand titles "S" for cars older than 8 years. However, that doesn't mean that it wasn't entered into the system as a salvaged vehicle. I'd be taking the car back to Jersey, so I would get the stamp from my DMV here.

DieselMarauder

TDI
1997 B4V
Thanks for this. I ran the same report myself and got it back clean. Check out this article from Consumer Reports with regard to the history reports. The date of loss is less than 2 months ago so it's not covered.

From the AutoCheck Buyback Protection Terms and Conditions: "The Branded Title must have been issued at least sixty (60) days prior to the date the Report was run."

So, they themselves recognize that they don't cover things less than two months old.

Tap2112

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 5sp (SOLD), 2002 Jetta GLS auto (gave to daughter), 2003 Jetta GLS Wagon 5 sp (SOLD), 2006 Jetta TDI PKG 2 with Nav

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike,

My intent was not to sabotage your posting. I was simply trying to offer some reasoning that might explain things further to all parties involved (and I did specifically say, "here's generally how it works" since I know laws vary from state to state)

I will attempt to rewrite my post to include an updated statement that includes NY not branding title's more than 8 years old. And if the mods ask me to delete my post entirely I will gladly do so.

No harm intended to you or your sale.

BadNewsMike

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta TDI
Mike, with which part are you disagreeing?

I did just read up on NY salvage laws and you're right that they don't brand titles "S" for cars older than 8 years. However, that doesn't mean that it wasn't entered into the system as a salvaged vehicle. I'd be taking the car back to Jersey, so I would get the stamp from my DMV here.
If the car is clean in NY it will be clean in NJ unless you wreck it in NJ.
I would give you back all your money and an extra 1000 if the title is EVER an issue. I know it wont be.

My parents live in Lebanon, NJ and have a 01 TDI they wrecked in NY that has the same history no issues in NJ.

If i would have known you had the ticket i would have said come up and we could have talked in person. we could have gone to a DMV and talked with the people there to make you feel rest assured. a clean title in NY= clean title anywhere. Yep it will have a deer hit on the history.

Ive looked at the other wagon FS on here, this is a really good deal. and i will stand behind the title. Ive been an auto-mechanic for 14 years working at used car dealers I know how titles work. and Im not selling some junker this is a real solid car. go ask around on some local buffalo forums I really doubt youll find anyone who will say anything negitive about me or my cars.

But in the end if this DOSNT sell, Ill sell my truck and keep driving it.

BadNewsMike

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta TDI
Mike,

My intent was not to sabotage your posting. I was simply trying to offer some reasoning that might explain things further to all parties involved (and I did specifically say, "here's generally how it works" since I know laws vary from state to state)

I will attempt to rewrite my post to include an updated statement that includes NY not branding title's more than 8 years old. And if the mods ask me to delete my post entirely I will gladly do so.

No harm intended to you or your sale.
I did feel like you where kind of attacking me and my car. this is my baby. I never thought i would sell it but i dont need 3 cars right now.. and i thought this would be a quick sale. guess not.

Ive been in the auto business for 14 years, ive shipped cars ALL over the us and canada. I was wondering where you where getting what you where stating... I hate HATE when people post "internet" facts.

but i would respect your information if you worked at the DMV or something. thats why i asked what your background is in. I know the title wont be an issue other then being on the carfax history. thats why i never brought it up.

ig109

Veteran Member
TDI
F
Mike.. What did those seats come out of.. They clearly are a different color than the standard grey interior..

do you happen to still have the original seats?

Do you happen to have the original wheels.

Thanks,

BadNewsMike

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta TDI
yes factory wheels are included with a set of all seasons on them.

I have a set of gray leathers I could swap the black for but you would loose the power seats. plus i have black carpeted floor liners that are included so there is very little gray left. and would look funny with the door cards black and center counsel black i was slowly turning the interior to black.

BadNewsMike

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta TDI
So ill throw this option out there.
for an additional $300. I will pull the black parts out of the interior and swap it all back to 100% stock gray leather.
but you loose the heated rear seats and the power front seats.

BadNewsMike

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta TDI
and still for-sale. Lowered asking price. 2x now ive taken days off from work to show the car and gotten stiffed.
this time it was becouse the oil was dark....OMG its a diesel.

Last edited: