Frustration with '06.5 audio

dieselrox

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI, Pkg 2
Hi gang,

The only thing that bugs me about my new '06.5 Jetta TDI is the abysmal sound quality coming out of the radio (6-CD in-dash changer, no NAV). I've been spoiled by the creamy-smooth and clear bass sound of the Monsoon system in my old '04 TDI and the sound system in the new Jetta sounds like garbage in comparison.

After some weeks of experimentation, I've determined that what's missing is a decent low-end. If I crank the bass up past about 2 o'clock I get more rattle than bass and the low end is rather muddy and undefined. There's plenty of mids and highs to go around.

Has anyone here had success in installing an aftermarket subwoofer in the '06.5 Jetta? If so, where was it installed and how was it wired in? What about those under-seat powered subs -- there seems to be plenty of space under the passenger's seat that could be used for that. Bear in mind -- I'm not a golden-eared audiophile that wants to turn his car into a symphony on wheels, and I don't crank the volume level to ear-splitting levels. So, ripping out door panels and replacing every speaker in the car is definitely not on the agenda here...

Thanks!

Last edited:

TooRoundTDI

Skunk Rocker
TDI
1998 Jetta

squebel

Veteran Member
I've gotta agree with you on the new sound system... rotten! I had an 06 Jetta loaner when my 04 Golf was in the shop, and the worst thing about that car was the radio. Pile of crap if you ask me.

Is anyone else as frustrated as I am that it's becoming increasingly impossible to put aftermarket head units in new cars without massive amounts of custom work?! What happened to the good ol' days of single DIN radios?!?

Sorry I've got no solutions for ya... just wanted to rant for a second.

Closey

TDI
Golf Gls, 2005, Black
look into JL audio Stealth sub enclosure. It hold a 10" sub and fits inside of your full size spare tire. Only things is it will raise the trunk floor by an inch or so. If and when i get a nice sub this is the way id go, no one will ever know where it is.

TooRoundTDI

Skunk Rocker
TDI
1998 Jetta
Oh yea Closey. Thats a good one too since its just about hidden. Last time I looked for my car it was about $450 complete and I can comment on the sound but I wanted to try it. I know for sure the basslink sounds VERY nice. Its clean and it sounds like it goes right down to 20 hertz (forget how to spell right now). Its really got some kick too. Its not loud but it definatly gets the job done very nicely.

dieselrox

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI, Pkg 2
Well, I stopped at Best Buy today and the place was rather worthless, no one around to discuss car audio and what used to be the car bays was full of other merchandise. Anyway, I stopped at Circuit City just for grins and they recommended the MTX X-Thunderlink:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/MTX-X-Thunderlink-Subwoofer-Enclosure-XT110P/sem/rpsm/oid/158320/catOid/-13093/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

By the time you buy that unit, the line-level converter and amp connect kit, then add $80 for installation, the price is over $500 so I kind of walked away to think this over.

Anyone know anything about those Thunderlink units?

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
dieselrox said:
Well, I stopped at Best Buy today and the place was rather worthless, no one around to discuss car audio and what used to be the car bays was full of other merchandise.
Pretty brave of you going near a Best Buy on Black Friday, the biggest shopping day of the year....:eek:

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
I'm still very happy with my old Pioneer underseat unit. The new model (TSWX11A) looks good, as do the Blaupunkt and Clarion offerings.

I'm no audiophile but I do take pride in getting a pleasant sound out of minimal (and low cost whenever possible) componentry- for this an underseat is great, it takes the stress off the main speakers and lets them concentrate on more controllable frequencies...

dieselrox

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI, Pkg 2
TooRoundTDI said:
You wont need the line level converter with the basslink, its built in. Im tellin you man, youll love it.
A couple of questions about the basslink: where is the best place to install it in the Jetta, and where/how does it wire in? I'm an electronics tech by trade but auto wiring can be very tricky -- you've got to know exactly what wire you've got in your hand and where you're going with it.

dieselrox

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI, Pkg 2
Pay dirt! Yippee!!

I just looked under my driver's seat and found the main amp. Whew - what a relief! That should mean that I can wire in a sub without having to go behind the dash. Anyone know where I can find a wiring diagram for the connectors going to the amp?

Oh, and by the way, what's that gigantic black connector block under the driver's seat for?

Last edited: