Frustrated with power loss - Please HELP

flyingnut40

TDI
2006 Jetta BRM TDI 680,000 km., 2009 Jetta CBEA Sportwagon TDI
My 2001 Jetta TDI has lost power, Starts fine, runs well, but lacks power.
Four codes P0216, P0245, P0102 and P0000. Scanguage shows no turbo boost, Timing is 26 degrees. I have no history on the TB, so I changed it.... Basic timing is bang on, started right up, put new fuel filter on, My Vagcom software won't work properly ;-( so I can't access it for help.

I am going nuts without my car!! I did read tonight to check fuses, and I have a new turbo to put on my manifold... but I need to figure this out before changing turbo.....

Any help would be wonderful! Dennis

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
SOunds like you have a vacuum leak somwhere,timing sounds a little off

flyingnut40

TDI
I will check all the vacumn hoses..... I think the timing is related to the problem.... not the cause... Just my opinion, at this point...Thanks

flyingnut40

TDI
frustrated

There is no chance the brake light switch could cause this timing error? I know it sounds like I am clueless, but the factory recall was never done, and the glowplug light does flash occasionally now.... and brake light activation was getting pretty late in the pedal travel... silly I know, but I thought I'd add the info....

Dennis

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
Several possibilities to check before you start throwing expensive parts at it, ie a new turbo.

One is pressure hose from turbo to intercooler may have blown off or split.
Another is that the VNT actuator rod works the vanes freely.
Still another is that the actual timing via VAGCOM is also good.
And that the N75 valve is clear and functioning normally.

Somebody should be along to discuss those codes. In the meantime, I'm not sure what effects the brake light switch recall would have, but I do remember there being odd effects. Do a search here on that.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Those are generic codes not sopprted by RossTech Wiki site.

I googled and found this:

A code P0102 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
Possible Solutions

The simplest thing to do is to reset the code and see if it comes back. Then start with the cheapest, easiest repair procedures:
P0216....Injector/Injection Timing Control Circuit
P0245....Turbo/Super Charger Wastegate Solenoid 'A' Low

Simple test is to unplug the MAF and go for a drive, if symptoms persist it's not the MAF,if issues go away teh MAF should be replaced

flyingnut40

TDI
more checking tonight

Thanks for you help J. I forgot to mention that I did clean the MAF sensor using the rubbing alcohol in a baggie method... but to no avail... I will need to check it next with a meter.... I will report results... It has the gasser MAF that has been there for the last 300K after going thru 3 TDI units under warranty.....FYI

Tonight I will be checking hoses, wiring, and the VNT actuator....

Thanks, Dennis

flyingnut40

TDI
I found the problem.....

I read somewhere that the fuse 34 could cause some of these codes...
turns out the 34 fuse was either intermittent or blown... not obvoius... so I replaced it and the codes are gone! AND the timing is down to the 4-6 degrees area.... now I can Vag Com it and set the injector timing....

Stupid as it sounds, I think I am going to have to service the fuse panel!!!! (wire brush fuse contacts and spray with electrical contact cleaner)

I still have no boost.... and the VNT actuator does not move on cycling the key.... next is the turbo change.... pretty sure the VNT vanes are seized.... I have a new turbo for it.... old one had a squeek on hard acceleration.... didn't trust it to not blow a seal and do the run away....
:-(

BTW, the flashing glow plug light is NORMAL when using the VAG COM.

I will post further results as I get them done so others can beneft from this little nightmare!

Dennis