Front Wheel Bearing ?

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
For the front wheel bearing. Does the spindle have a second snap ring or a step in the bore to retain the bearing on the inside side of the assembly?

I have searched here on TDI Club and at Vwvortex for a picture that shows this, and read through the DYI posts, but not seen or found comment on this.:confused:

Ben

bmwvw

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta-01-silver
mctdi said:
For the front wheel bearing. Does the spindle have a second snap ring or a step in the bore to retain the bearing on the inside side of the assembly?

I have searched here on TDI Club and at Vwvortex for a picture that shows this, and read through the DYI posts, but not seen or found comment on this.:confused:

Ben
My 87GTI had two, one on the inside and on on the out side. Should be the same on the MK4's, It is on MK3's. One caution i should warn you about is sometimes in my past exp the one half of the outer race may come out with the hub, req you to get a knife edge puller to extract the race from the hub(the part with the lug nut threads).

bmwvw

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta-01-silver
Don't mention it. If you have anyother question just ask around, some one will answer. I guess I should say do a search first and always first to avoid the fourm police. But you did it right.:)

Last edited:

vtvegcar

TDI
05 Passat TDI
mk4 cars have one outer ring in spindle/wb housing. different than mk3. Plan on bearing race coming off on hub.

bmwvw

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta-01-silver
vtvegcar said:
mk4 cars have one outer ring in spindle/wb housing. different than mk3. Plan on bearing race coming off on hub.
Didn't know that, was only assuming. So on MK4's there is a lip on the inside of the spindle??

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
vtvegcar said:
OK Thanks for info.

Ben

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
mctdi said:

Ben

The parts list shows (2) circlips, if memory serves me correctly there is one inside and outside of the bearing to act as a retainer and keep the bearing from shifting out of the bearing housing.

DB

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
To get the bearing off the hub when you press it out you will need this:

This pushes the bearing away from the hub, and holds it while you press the hub out. Without this...you can whack on it till you are blue in the face but it won't come off!

These are cheap, $20 at most places, $40 high end time and effort saved PRICELESS!

DB

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
TomB said:
You might want to pick up a Bentley Manual if you are going to be doing this involved maintenance.

That way you will have the pictures in front of you before and during the work.
I do have the Bentley CD. It does not show or talk about one or two snaprings being used. Just to remove the snapring and then use special tool to pull bearing out. I don't have their special tool.

I was looking for this info as I plan to make a set of plugs for pulling/pushing the bearing out & in, and the hub back in.

Thanks to all for feedback & info.
TDIClub is a great place.
Ben

Pitboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 2 Door
mctdi said:
I do have the Bentley CD. It does not show or talk about one or two snaprings being used. Just to remove the snapring and then use special tool to pull bearing out. I don't have their special tool.

I was looking for this info as I plan to make a set of plugs for pulling/pushing the bearing out & in, and the hub back in.

Thanks to all for feedback & info.
TDIClub is a great place.
Ben
One snapring, just like dbw's pic.
Try this over at vortex: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1722551
Here's a drawing for the pullers.

Last edited:

TDI eddie

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2004, Grey
I'm having the right front bearing replaced by the dealer today for $335, don't have the time to do it and it's my wife's car and she needs it back ASAP. Is this about right for the dealer to do the work ?

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
TDI eddie said:
I'm having the right front bearing replaced by the dealer today for $335, don't have the time to do it and it's my wife's car and she needs it back ASAP. Is this about right for the dealer to do the work ?
Dealer bearing $75.00-$80.00
2-3 hours time($85.00/hr) $170.00-$255.00
and maybe an alignment $60.00-$80.00

It is a chunk of money. But doesn't look out of line for a dealer.

Ben

TDI eddie

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2004, Grey
Thanks !

The bearing was $95 and they said 3 hours labor. I have a Bently manual and it looked like a project that I didn't have time for.

The look on my wife face having her car fixed after hearing that bearing for this long was priceless !

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
That price is just about right.

I bought my SIR "on-car" bearing tool for less though. One bearing install on my own car and it's paid for, yes the labor is absorbed by me, but I don't want someone else futsing with my ride! No alignment needed if done correctly with this "on-car" tool.

Another low cost option is to pull the knuckle and bring it to a shop and have them do the pressing, you will do the R&R of the knuckle and then pay for the alignment. Dealer alignments seem to have gone up quite a bit lately, many are in the $100 range. Last one for me was a local Sears store, they did a great job, had new equipment and it was only $69.

BTW: In a pinch, you can use an air hammer to get the old bearing piece off the hub, with the hub "hat" held in a vice you can use a nice sharp chisel attachment at just the right angle and it'll come right off. Just be careful you don't nick the hub with the chisel.