Front Sway Bar Removal

Howlin Wolf

TDI
1999.5 Mk4 Jetta, 2006 Mk5 Jetta
Sorry if this topic has been covered already. I've been searching for awhile and am not finding anything, so I'll go ahead and ask. If there is an existing discussion, I'd appreciate if someone could point me to it.

I'm doing a suspension upgrade to my 99 Jetta Mk4. Shine racing springs, Koni FSB shocks and a Shine rear stabilizer bar, all purchased from Kerma. When doing this upgrade they recommend the removal of the front sway bar. I'm curious to know if anyone else has done this and their opinion of how it effects the handling.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Well it could be to help the car turn in sharper but I would have thought you'd run a much higher risk of over steer. Do they not explain it themselves?

NHgranite

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat CKRA
That's how my car is set-up, except I'm running BilliHDs.

I've had my front sway bar disconnected for the past two years. I like the balance and feel in both the summer & winter.

You can disconnect and zip-tie the bar out of the way to see for yourself.

I've since installed Audi LCAs, I can no longer attach the front bar. No biggie... I just removed it instead. ;-)

Last edited:

Howlin Wolf

TDI
Well it could be to help the car turn in sharper but I would have thought you'd run a much higher risk of over steer. Do they not explain it themselves?
Yes, that was the explanation they gave. Reduced under steer and faster turning response. But that was from a salesman, I wanted to check for some feedback from people who had actually performed this mod.

That's how my car is set-up, except I'm running BilliHDs.

I've had my front sway bar disconnected for the past two years. I like the balance and feel in both the summer & winter.

You can disconnect and zip-tie the bar out of the way to see for yourself.

I've since installed Audi LCAs, so I can't attach the front bar anymore. No biggie... I just removed it instead. ;-)
The work is being done today and that's what I told my mechanic to do, just tie them off so I can drive it first and see how it feels.

I'm so excited about this mod, feel like I'm getting a new car.

Thanks guys for getting back to me. Much appreciated.

navajow

TDI
2000 Jetta
You are going to love that setup. I did Koni FSDs and Shine springs last year. Rear sway has yet to go on. It's amazing handling and comfort. Be prepared to buy some stickier tires... once I kerma tuned my car I can't keep traction anymore.

mk4gasm

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf
I don't have this setup but I haven't had a front sway bar for 2 years now, never felt a difference driving like a normal person. little more "gushy" if you're on the interstate and have to change lanes fast, but nothing crazy.

Howlin Wolf

TDI
You are going to love that setup. I did Koni FSDs and Shine springs last year. Rear sway has yet to go on. It's amazing handling and comfort. Be prepared to buy some stickier tires... once I kerma tuned my car I can't keep traction anymore.
Yes, tires and wheels are next. Thinking 17 x 7 with Conti Pure Contacts at 225/50 but still researching.

It's been at the garage all week. Supposed to have it back tomorrow. Can't wait.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Seems there are a lot of threads on this lately. I agree with NHGranite, although I've decided to keep mine attached for street use. It's a front wheel drive car. If I want something to kick the rear out I drive the Miata.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Though frustrating at times, understeer is safer for daily driving for sure. Now if you were auto-x'ing, I wouldn't even think twice.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
The thing is that the rear axle already has an arb built in, then you're adding another one so the back is going to be pretty stiff anyway. I wouldn't have thought it was worth removing the front bar as the turn in should be more responsive anyway?

I know with fitting the rear axle off the skoda octavia vrs with the bigger arb mine turns in great and does roll much at all.

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
Put the rear bar on first, then decide if you want to pull the front.

I have a 28mm rear on the "soft" setting and I can kick the rear end out in a roundabout if I push it. Any more than that and it might be dicey for a daily driver.

Howlin Wolf

TDI
Thanks to all for sharing your opinions. After reading the responses here, and reading the whole Handling thread, I opted to disconnect it. Still in place but zip tied off. I've only driven about 100 miles since the modifications were installed and so far, I'm loving it. Even with a well worn set of 205/60 15 Tiger Paws the rear end stayed put on a few corners that I pushed to the max of what I usually drive. Next will be new wheels and tires, likely 215/50 16s, to complete the handling upgrades.

kcunniff

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS BEW (5spd)
I'm a bit confused here...

Wouldn't removing the front sway bar hurt performance by reducing rigidity??? For those who have removed it, please explain the reasoning here. Learning something new that I would not have initially thought about.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
If by rigidity you mean body stiffness, no. Sway bar adds nothing. The Sway bar increases front roll stiffness by transferring pressure from the unloaded (inside) wheel to the loaded (outside) wheel during cornering. It can reduce body roll, but also increases understeer and limits traction when cornering. Front bars are considered important for safety as the car will undesteer at the limit, and lifting off the accelerator will usually cause it to come back into line. Inexperienced drivers can much more easily handle a car that wants to run wide in a corner than one that wants to spin.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
The Sway bar increases front roll stiffness by transferring pressure from the unloaded (inside) wheel to the loaded (outside) wheel during cornering.
And I see the glass as half empty.
The outside front wheel being tucked up into the fender liner is raising that end of the (anti-)sway bar. That lift on one end is applied as lift at the other end, thus trying to lift the inside front wheel.
The anti-sway or anti-roll bar may keep the outside from running on the bump stop, but without a limited slip differential the inside drive wheel will have a greater tendency to spin.

image captured by a spectator at the 21st Century Automotive Challenge 2011

Last edited:

azerite

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Wagon, 2005 jetta
Lsd

I have been told it is counter productive to remove the sway bar on a car with a limited slip. Any opinions?
I have an LSD with the sway removed, and have vr6 springs. I have only taken the tail out once, when it was wet. WHen it's try the ability to take turns is rediculous.

clamb

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Wagon; 2010 Golf Wagon
With an upgraded spring and strut/shock I think the effect of the fsb is diminished considerably. I removed it on my golf (gti springs, stock struts/shocks with h&r 25mm rsb) and the car was very neutral. It's likely to come off of my jetta as well (far stiffer neuspeed springs, 28mm auto tech rsb).

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Interesting. Never thought about the geometry of sway bars, just blindly accepted that they are good, I can see how they'd reduce traction on a FWD car now though.

I'd take mine out, but with the 2 door golf, the wheelbase is so short that it wants to switch ends pretty quick anyways.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
All MKIV cars have the same wheelbase.
No ****?
Huh.

In my defense I come from the land of trucks where there are so many different combinations that you've got 10 different length rear driveshaft setups.
Lot easier to keep the rear behind you with 161" of wheelbase, too. :p

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Now I suddenly have less excuses for all the ditches I've been in.
Ah well, might as well pull the thing off while swapping in the poly LCA bushings

hpc

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 NB TDI, 2013 GLK 250 BlueTec
Had front bar removed when the Audi TT control arms were installed in 2006/2007.
At that time, I had the 5-speed with Peloquin diff. Much less understeer but not
to the point where I was worried about even mild oversteer. Was running
Bilstein HD's with Neuspeed SofSport springs.

Been running with Bilstein B-16's and one of Ryan's 6-speeds with a WaveTrac -
all installed by Matt Whitbread. Running full TT front suspension with a reinforced
subframe being installed shortly - weather permitting my getting to Matt.

I also have a 2013 Mini JCW hardtop and the Bug handles better than the JCW.
Really noticeable along I-40 going to Asheville, NC. The Bug is set a tad softer
than the JCW and even with 18" vs. 17" on the JCW, I don't have bump steer
"oh crap!"s where you pushing hard in a corner and one front wheel encounters
a bump and the car steps sideways - when you're in the inside lane and the
concrete barrier is only 18 inches or so away, having the car step towards
the barrier is an "Oh @#$!" moment. The Bug just glides right over and
maintains the line.

I like not having the front bar. As they say, turn-in is quicker and smoother.

Cheers!