Front strut leaking - replace with OEM?

da.hs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf, DSG, silver (from new). 2010 Audi Q7 (from 2016), 2004 Touareg V10 (from 2018)
2010 Golf - one front strut leaking. Suggestions for replacements? I'm not looking for a big change in handling. A lot of rough and broken pavement in my area, occasional gravel - certainly do not wish to lower it.

Is this a fairly straightforward DIY task or best left to a shop? Tools needed?

Thanks..

kcny

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, Man.
It's fairly easy. Slight more involve than your basic brake work. You will definitely need a spring compressor. Having an impact wrench will make the job much easier. One of those 1/2" electric impact wrench from harbor freight works fine. Takes me roughly 4 hrs to do the front.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
2010 Golf - one front strut leaking. Suggestions for replacements? I'm not looking for a big change in handling. A lot of rough and broken pavement in my area, occasional gravel - certainly do not wish to lower it.
I would replace with stock OE struts. Personally, they give a perfect balance of ride vs. handling.

The Mk4's OE struts were notoriously short-lived, needing replacement by 150k km. But we're seeing few damper replacements on Mk5/6's. They just seem to be a lot more durable. Your blowout is a rare exception.

If you liked the ride of the OE dampers, then I wouldn't change anything. I once changed to Bilstein TC's on my Mk4 Golf because folks here were raving about them, and I found them too harsh. Replaced them with Koni FSDs, which ride very comparably to my current Mk5.5 JSW's dampers.

da.hs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf, DSG, silver (from new). 2010 Audi Q7 (from 2016), 2004 Touareg V10 (from 2018)
Will probably do just that. The road I live on was badly broken 2010-2013 (4 miles) , somewhat better from last year. They have some excuse for wearing out, I think.