Front springs shot at 37,000 miles?????

BlueCTTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS (PD) - Indigo Blue
OK, So I was having a rough day last week and I figured what better therapy than to drive around for a bit with the radio off and wind out the engine a bit and listen to the wonderful sound...

And it was great.. until I started going over a few bumps..

seems that BOTH front springs are creaking so badly it sounds like a brass band. It's really only been noticeable for the last week or so. I can replicate the noise even just going out and pushing down on each front corner. Call me an idiot maybe, but last I knew that was a sure sign that they're on the way out. rebound doesn't seem to be too bad (i.e. once down, once up - doesn't seem to indicate a shock issue), but I have to admit I'm not an expert on suspension components. The front end still seems pretty tight, alignment is still ok, and a quick look doesn't indicate anything broken.

I've made no modifications except for putting R32 wheels on the front end (direct bolt-on, no spacers), as well as installing a panzer plate, both of which occurred at about 33,000 miles back in late March. I can't imagine that these two items would alter things enough to wear out stock springs in the span of 4,000 miles.

I know that some folks have had early problems with the stock vw suspension, but at 37,000 miles??? :mad: I could understand if I drove the car that hard, but I'm actually pretty good with it.

This kind of noise normal on the mkiv's, or should I be concerned about the springs failing?

carnotgas

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta
Sway Bar Bushings

It is common for the sway bar bushings to make noise. VW replaced my sway bar and bushings under warranty and the noise went away.

BlueCTTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
the bushings creak like that? sounds like a whole lot of noise from 2 small parts.. lol

maybe i should think about moving the suspension higher on the upgrade list...

BlueCTTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
if they are indeed the issue, i wonder if it's worth having them replaced with the same OEM crap that'll fail again at 75k...

not to mention they'll take one look at my car and probably laugh me out of the building when I ask for a warranty claim.. lol

NathanMSL

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2005, PD100, white
I too am experiencing the same issue (I think). Everytime I go over a bump at speed I get a nice creaking noise. The dealership has replaced the sway bar bushings, fitted improved suspesion bolts (who knows which ones), and still can't figure out the noise. Its been squeaking since about 20k and I'm at 35k now. I took it to the dealership three times before they admitted to hearing the noise. They had my car for two weeks the last time I took it in.

It'll be going back as soon as I get back from being offshore.

Anyone in the Houston are know of a decent dealership, with a real diesel mechanic?

Nate

carnotgas

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta
Bushing Lube

When the Dealer Technician replaced my sway bar he lubricated the bushings with anti-seize. He said the problem will reoccur if you don't do that. My busings have been quiet for a year, but I do think about what effect the lube has on the rubber. Also does the lube effect the handling?

meganuke

TDIClub Contributor, Vendor
TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
I'm just starting to get a squeak in the right front. Mike, if you come over this Saturday we can probably lube the bushings pretty quickly.

Oh, and my buddy has mailed a check for the radio. He was out of town last week.

BlueCTTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
Hmm.. yeah I was planning to come over for the unbirthday GTG - that might work. Looks like the swaybar bushings are quite cheap anyway - are they difficult to replace?

We're a step ahead of you on the radio - he called me last week and we did the exchange on Thursday. :)

meganuke

TDIClub Contributor, Vendor
TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Good to know. I've been pretty busy at work and home, so I haven't been able to catch up with him. I know he recently went to visit his sister in NC...maybe that was 2 weeks ago?

I've never done the bushings, but I can't imagine they would be that difficult.

BlueCTTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
yeah, I'd normally just take the opportunity and do my suspension upgrade earlier than I thought, but the extra cash flow right now is headed to the transmission (which is on order :) )... so I guess I need to just do whatever maintenance I have to for this problem as it stands..

emile

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDI 5-Speed, Reflex Silver
wow so it's not just me. this has been bugging the crap out of me. guess i will go brow beat the dealership for a while.

BlueCTTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
yeah, it was quite a bit disconcerting.. here is a brief synopsis of the progression of events:

1) roll down all windows (current mood: between :eek: and :cool: )
1.5) turn off radio
2) wind engine to 3700+ rpm through several gears, experience much enjoyment. (mood change: now :D )
3) lift off accelerator before being caught and asked to experience the luxurious accommodations provided by the rear of a cruiser belonging to one of CT's finest (mood now combination of :D and :eek: )
3.5) realize I'm still traveling too fast and apply brakes in conjunction with #3 to bring vehicle to (legalish) highway speed
4) pass through a bumpy stretch of I-84
5) hear loud aforementioned creaking coming independently from both front wheels (mood change: :confused: )
6) look at odometer (mood change: :( )
7) loudly utter several expletives aimed at the quality of VW OEM suspension parts in conjunction with #6 (mood quickly changes to :mad: )
8) finish traveling home in bad mood
9) exit vehicle, pushing down on each front corner, successfully replicating experienced creaking which sounds suspiciously like the springs (mood now :mad: :mad: )
10) plot preferred method of curse on vw engineers, begin b!tching on Tdiclub.

emile

Veteran Member
TDI
yeah, mine is most noticable between 30 and 40 and sounds like a a chirp/high pitched squeek from both front corners on any asymmetrical bumps (no noise on speedbumps, plenty on potholes and crap one wheel hits). the most frustrating part was that it took 3-4 test drives over the course of weeks before i could get a mechanic to even hear it. here's a helpful hint: if the mechanic weighs over 300 pounds, have him sit behind youso there's less load on the passenger side.

Last edited:

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
I had the same thing, ignored it an it went away!

Don't worry about your springs, those don't (typically) wear out, ever. We'll take a look at one of the VERY many upcoming events in the next month!

BlueCTTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
you do indeed realize that as soon as the car pulls up to a GTG site, that the noise will vanish, right? hehe

Duck0987

TDI
Jetta '03 Silver
I have been having the same issue, after a good rain or driving on wet roads it goes away for about a week, then it comes back all the same.

jhedrich

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 TDI GLS Green
front suspension

wow 37K miles....how'd you get yours to last so long?:rolleyes:

worn front sway bar bushings cause the sway bar to clunk around and produce a bit of a squeek....for awhile....then when the squeek is gone, you know that the bar is completely loose in the bushings. They don't last very long at all for whatever reason so go to AutoValue and order a few sets of bushing....the stealership will want almost 6 times the price. Also be aware of any loud clunks that make the springs resonate (usually happens when wheels are turned alot and hit a large bump) This might do some damage to the front struts and warrant a replacement.

Cheap test: locate sway bar bushings and spray with silicone or graphite lubricant. If this solves your noise you have found your problem. If you see any slop between the bushing and the bar, then replace the bushings.

emile

Veteran Member
TDI
front sway bar bushings cleaned and lubricated, creak gone. squeak however is still present. the tech said i'd have to have the backs of the front pads lubricated or something. he said something about the paint wearing away, but i didn't have to replace the pads, just silicone them up. not sure exactly how to go about it.

BlueCTTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
jhedrich said:
wow 37K miles....how'd you get yours to last so long?:rolleyes:
:D I'm just *that* good...

duly noted on the silicone / graphite.. will do - I guess this issue's a lot more prevalent than I thought.. and I thought I was up on all my "standard" vw problem areas. go figure.

Also noted that the severity of the creak is directly related to how F'in hot it is outside and whether it's been sitting in the sun to boot. POS bushings.

It's a da*n shame that because of a pair of $10 bushings that I'm going to be forced to remove the entire suspension and slap on a set of Koni reds or FSB's and likely a better bar on the front of this thing.... :D :D :cool:

jhedrich

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 TDI GLS Green
shame

Yes, it is a shame how a $10 problem makes you fix the car like it should have been made in the first place. After owning my car for 6 years now...there is no point in trading it in on a new one....I've already replaced every F#$## thing I can! Hell, it's newer than the new ones!

Wait...spoke too soon...I discovered another part that needs to be replaced....windsheild wiper arm assembly is seizing......SLOW movement at all settings. Has ANYBODY EVER heard of this problem happening on ANY other car manufacturer in the world????

ps...yes, the hotter the weather, the more the squeek....

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
BlueCTTDi said:
It's a da*n shame that because of a pair of $10 bushings that I'm going to be forced to remove the entire suspension and slap on a set of Koni reds or FSB's and likely a better bar on the front of this thing.... :D :D :cool:
Actually MKIV's really do not need a bigger bar in the front. Save your money and spend it on something interesting. :D

Speaking of shocks I couldn't believe how much the rear of my wagon bounces when I push it down. With only 46,000 miles too! :eek:

Looks like I will be forced to put in some Koni Reds soon. :p

BlueCTTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
Reds are getting picked up Saturday and hopefully getting installed Sunday :D

on a side note, took me 2 days to realize i typed FSB's instead of FSD's..:p d'oh!

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
You installing the brakes, (knuckles, rotors, caliper carriers), at the same time?

When the shocks are off is the time to do it! :p :D

BlueCTTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
nah, brakes are going to have to wait a bit..

have to keep at least some cash flow for now - i'm moving in a month..

might happen in conjunction with the 6-speed.... but not quite sure yet. For now it's just the reds and a set of swaybar bushings while they're apart anyway.

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
jhedrich said:
I discovered another part that needs to be replaced....windsheild wiper arm assembly is seizing......SLOW movement at all settings. Has ANYBODY EVER heard of this problem happening on ANY other car manufacturer in the world????
My folks had a Subaru back in the late 70s that managed to machine its own wiper arm. But I'll bet Subarus don't do that anymore.

VeggieChick

TDI
2003 Jetta
WOW!!! I think you solved my squeaking car problem. and here i thought (b/c my mechanic said so) that i needed new shocks, etc.

Wo-hoo!!!

SoaceMunky

Veteran Member
TDI
Blue Anthracite Golf IV, 13 miles and counting ;)
who says its the sway bar bushings, maybe something else? mine were replaced and lubed, still hear the sound :(

emile

Veteran Member
TDI
SoaceMunky said:
who says its the sway bar bushings, maybe something else? mine were replaced and lubed, still hear the sound :(
well it could be that brake thing i was talking about. if only i could figure it out... apparently some part has paint, and the paint wears off, and then it chirps on bumps... and you can grease it.