front parking light bulb removal

studebaker

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta pk 1
Front Parking Light Bulb removal experience

Re-writing this now that I have had the unpleasant experience of changing out the parking light bulbs.
After pulling the rubber covers off in order to get to the bulbs, I had to use a light and mirror to actually see the parking light wire/bulb location. I could see some wire that had the insulation fraying off the wire. I tried to gently pull the wire/bulb out and not go. Pulled hard enough that I thought Id break something. Finally wound up pulling the front bumper cover off so I could pull the light assemblies out just to remove and install new bulbs. When I placed them on the table and took a look with good light, it looked like the wiring was 50 years old. The insulation was cracking and fraying. I don't see a way short of cutting the light assembly up, to redo the wiring so I ordered two Hella headlight assemblies to put back in. Don't see a way to add picture from my camera.

Last edited:

pebjr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta; 2015 Golf S
Front passenger side parking light was a PITA to replace today. I was unable to to grasp the bulb holder to remove. I ended up removing the passenger side tire, inside tire well, front grill and bumper so I could remove the light assy. If there is a better way to do this, I would definitely like to hear how others in the group have changed it.

mdopole1

TDI
2006 Jetta tdi
I removed mine on the passenger side using some small needle nose. I removed the high beam bulb first and got the wires out of the way.

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Special Edition
I had the same issues. I was able to get the passenger side bulb out by unbolting the fuel filter can and moving it aside. The wires were in awful condition, the insulation was completely destroyed and would crumble between your fingers.

I used Liquid Tape as a temporary (permanent?) solution since they don't seem to sell that harness as a replacement part.

https://www.amazon.com/Gardner-Bender-LTB-400-Electrical-Waterproof/dp/B000FPAN2K

Last edited:

esteeze

Veteran Member
TDI
06.5 Jetta TDI
Thanks for sharing info here. I'm fixing to try to replace the parking lamp bulb on the driver side; wish me luck

esteeze

Veteran Member
TDI
06.5 Jetta TDI
Fortunately, having smaller hands, I was able to pull out the bulb holder without too much trouble, and without using needle-nose pliers. I replaced the bulb and put the holder back in place rather easily.