front gas shock.

benshaw

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta bew
ok im getting a loud thump/bottoming out on one side if i hit a uneven surface.
theres no oil leak.
if it lost its gas would it do this.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
possibly. Best way to diagnose a bad shock is to get that corner of the car bouncing by pushing up and down on that fender. then let go. A properly functioning shock should bounce once and then stop. A bad shock will bounce up and down several more times.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Gas is supposed to keep the oil from foaming when the shock suddenly extends, I don't think it does much for compression. That said, if it has lost its gas charge, the shock itself is likely worn out.

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
Jack the car up at that wheel and grab the tire at 9 and 3 and try to wiggle it side to side. And try again at 12 and 6. A bad ball joint will cause movement and can cause the sound you're talking about.

benshaw

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta bew
the bounce test is tight, when all the weight transfers through on that side driving and hits, then it thumps.

odd thing when parked overnite on left camber street, it seems to destress the right thumping side and runs ok for a bit, but if i park on it (right camber side) it thumps stright away. weird one.

thanks for suggestions, at some point ill pull it apart to see whats dead.

benshaw

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta bew
possibly. Best way to diagnose a bad shock is to get that corner of the car bouncing by pushing up and down on that fender. then let go. A properly functioning shock should bounce once and then stop. A bad shock will bounce up and down several more times.
its normal

benshaw

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta bew
Jack the car up at that wheel and grab the tire at 9 and 3 and try to wiggle it side to side. And try again at 12 and 6. A bad ball joint will cause movement and can cause the sound you're talking about.
nope not that either.