Front end vibration battle

MeOmYo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
2001 Golf, 226k, vibration is mostly in 4th & 5th, under load at ~2500-3000 rpms.

I've had this vibration in the front end for a month or so and last week I thought I'd try to remedy the problem by replacing, what I thought was a bad drivers side CV shaft assembly. Turns out, that did nothing to help so I removed the passenger side axle and replaced the inner CV joint with the CV joint off the driver's side I had removed. Vibration is still there. I've checked the motor mounts and bolts and they are all fine/tight. Tires, ball joints, wheel bearings etc are all good so I think I'm good from wheels to tranny. I'm not really sure what to look for on the dogbone as I've read these can cause this as well.

Any suggestions?

MeOmYo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
I took a good look at everything on the driver's side and all was good but forgot to when I had the pass. side apart. I did replace them ~50k ago with TT bushings.

jetmec

TDI
03 golf, 01 jetta, 12 jetta
Have you tried rotating your tires? might just have a bad tire up there.

dbuzalski

TDI
92 1.6L, 2000 jetta tdi
mk4 vibration

Hello,

I'm working on a '02 jetta with what sounds like the same symptom, it has a vibration under load 3rd, 4th and 5th, but at most any rpm, though it is more noticeable at lower rpms. It's not a low frequency vibration (wobble) like an inner cv, it feels almost like a bad bearing in the trans or the dog bone mount is making metal to metal contact under acceleration, but I don't see anything obvious wrong.

I was wondering there was ever a resolution to the problem on this thread?

thanks
Dave