Front end shake under braking

IHRTRQ

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Car: 2003 TDI Jetta wagon 125k. 5spd

Bought this car 2 months ago and under braking the front end would shake bad. Did a bunch of reading here and figured it was LCA bushing.
So i put in the TT bushing and it made about a 90% improvement.

Now about 50% of the time I get shakey feedback in the steering wheel thats pretty bad. (not as bad as before the LCA bushings)

25% of the time ill get just a little annoying feedback in the brake peddle.

And the last 25% it is smooth.

Also over bumps there is this almost loose feeling feedback in the steering wheel.

I would have figured rotors but since its smooth 25% of the time it couldnt be that and new rotors were put on the car right before i bought it along with pads and new tires.

I did notice that on the passenger side the little screw to hold the rotor in place had been broken of by previous owner, but the torque of the lug nuts would hold that solid when in place.

Accelerating everything is fine perfectly straight. Same with driving in a straight line.

Thanks

IHRTRQ

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Im thinking it might be those cause when I jerk the wheel back and forth you can feel like a slight clunk when switching directions.

Would that just be the tie rod ends? or possibly something deeper?

rhinotalon

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta tdi
1. Jack up a side and see if the tire shakes. It could be a wheel bearing if it does. Also could be a caliper not retracting all the way back. Tie rods as mentioned could be culprit as well.

If the brake fluid is murky...flush it and replace with new brake fluid after the inspection. Moisture in the fluid will cause your calipers to go quickly, change it out every 2 years.

I had the problem you described on my Grand Am. Warped rotors...caused by my calipers not retracting...because I didn't replace the fluid as I should have.

RHinout!

tgray

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Beetle, '05 Golf, 2000 Jetta, 2001 Jetta, 2002 Jetta
It sounds like there might be some debris or rust behind one of the rotors. It would be best to pull them both off and check where they meet the hub. The little screw that holds the rotor on is more of a factory screw so they will not fall off on the production line. Make sure the screw is not broken and sticking out pushing on the rotor. A quick brake rotor change may have not properly cleaned the hub. Inspect the rotors very well for cracks or unusual wear. New rotors can be defective or warped out from the caliper problem mentioned in the previous post. If the wheel bearings are tight and the lug nuts tight then the problem is in the rotors somewhere. Loose joints will not cause the problem you are describing.

BolaB4V

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 passat tdi wagon, 97 F-150 XLT 4x4, 99.5 Mk4 Jetta VR6/5M
It sounds like there might be some debris or rust behind one of the rotors. It would be best to pull them both off and check where they meet the hub. The little screw that holds the rotor on is more of a factory screw so they will not fall off on the production line. Make sure the screw is not broken and sticking out pushing on the rotor. A quick brake rotor change may have not properly cleaned the hub. Inspect the rotors very well for cracks or unusual wear. New rotors can be defective or warped out from the caliper problem mentioned in the previous post. If the wheel bearings are tight and the lug nuts tight then the problem is in the rotors somewhere. Loose joints will not cause the problem you are describing.
X2 ! The PO of my Jetta said it had new brakes when I bought it, but never did the rotors and I dont think used any brake lube. I just did the rotors and brakes and the heavy shaking when braking is gone!