Front end noise

5pointslow

TDI
2005 Jetta
Wife has a 2005 Jetta with auto transmission. She came home from work last night, saying the car was making a noise in the front end. It was late and darned cold out, so I just took it for a quick spin to see if i could diagnose the problem.
The sound to me is like a front wheel bearing going. Cant really distinguish which side yet, from just driving it.
Here's the part that gets me though. Noise is most prevalent when coasting. It is minimal or not present when on the accelarator pedal. It also goes away or diminishes when you put the brakes on.
Thanks.
Car's almost at 300,000km so anything could be wearing out.

Murf300

TDI
2006 Jetta DSG
I have a 2006 tdi with dsg. Mine started doing a similar thing a couple of weeks ago but only intermittent. Yesterday it started more frequently doing this. Worse when coasting and at low speeds. When I turn to the right it is really noticeable. Sounds like it is coming from the left front which would make sense because of loading the left front when turning right. What could it be other than wheel bearing?

Murf300

TDI
2006 Jetta DSG
I thought about cv joint but there is absolutely no popping, and I feel nothing through the steering wheel. The noise comes and goes, and can go from quiet to loud instantly.

arne487

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Golf TDI, '10 TDI Cup Jetta
As stupid as it sounds, it's always a good idea to make sure your lug bolts are torqued correctly. A loose wheel can make some funny noises.

RandyTDI

TDI
98 Jetta
arne487 said:
As stupid as it sounds, it's always a good idea to make sure your lug bolts are torqued correctly. A loose wheel can make some funny noises.
Start there and work towards the engine.

If it is a rotational noise, meaning it speeds up when you go faster it is in the axles somewhere.

If that is the case follow these steps til you find the problem:

-Torque lugs
-Inspect tire for broken belt
-Torque axle nut (in the center of your wheel hub)
-Jack up front end, grab top and bottom of tire and wiggle, with force... excessive movement in relation to your other tires could signal a bad wheel bearing. However, wheel bearings can just go dry and make noise without actually failing i.e. moving in and out (they still need replaced though)
-Check CV boots for tears
-Check tranny/diff fluid level

Do them one by one til you narrow down your problem.

Randy

P.s. this is just what I learned after chasing from end demons in my 98. Wish I had known this a month ago... coulda saved money and hours of frustration.

Murf300

TDI
2006 Jetta DSG
Definitely not lugs, they were excessively tight from where I bought tires recently. With 155k miles I still have 1/2 inch of brake pad thickness. CV boots look good. I don't think it is tire belts because of the way the noise comes and goes all of a sudden. I am starting to think it is definitely a wheel bearing. Local dealer wants $475 total to change it out. The part is $215.

Has anyone done a wheel bearing on a 2006 yet? I don't have a manual, and don't know torque specs or procedures on the axle bolt, etc. I am assuming there are bolts that should be replaced but not sure. Any suggestions or tips?

Thanks,
Pat

RandyTDI

TDI
98 Jetta
AutohausAZ has your parts:
1T0498621
KMM
Bearing & Hub Assembly; Front Assembly with Bearing; Left/Right
2 per car. Limited availability $177.52 $84.45
$88.89
SALE

You can DIY fairly easily. Just takes a few big size sockets to get the axle nut and whatnot off. Take it to a machine shop and they should be able to press it out and in for you ~$30...

So for aeound $120 you could DIY or pay your shop almost $500.

Your call.

But torque on the axle nut first... if that changes the sound then I would do it...

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
RandyTDI said:
AutohausAZ has your parts:
1T0498621
KMM
Bearing & Hub Assembly; Front Assembly with Bearing; Left/Right
2 per car. Limited availability $177.52 $84.45
$88.89
SALE

You can DIY fairly easily. Just takes a few big size sockets to get the axle nut and whatnot off. Take it to a machine shop and they should be able to press it out and in for you ~$30...

So for aeound $120 you could DIY or pay your shop almost $500.

Your call.

But torque on the axle nut first... if that changes the sound then I would do it...
Oh no, it's much much easier than that on a Mk5. It's a Hub AND bearing ASSEMBLY. It bolts onto your knuckle. This is far easier to do than using a press (and requires less expensive tools :p). Just need the correct socket (or bit, IIRC Mk5s use a large hex bit BOLT that threads into the end of the axle rather than having the axle externally threaded with a nut that goes over it) maybe a wrench for the bolts that hold it to the knuckle (or maybe it's a triple square? I forget. I know some later Audis use triple squares for their hub & bearing assemblies).

The only downside is it makes the part much more expensive. But it's far less labor....

5pointslow

TDI
2005 Jetta
thanks for the replies guys. went out again a couple days later, checked again. long story short, it is a wheel bearing. in the process of changing out now. gonna do the other side while i am at it. and the tie rods which are over due.

dougsbug

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Beetle
How did this R & R go? I think I may have the same problem.
My car is doing very strange things- it may be quiet and fine when starting out, after 40 or 50 miles, the vibration and noise starts. I can't really tell what side it is. I can turn the wheel very slightly to the right and the noise diminishes. Much more pronounced when I turn to the left- however, the noise sounds like it is coming from the driver's front side, (left.)

The noise sounds like a very bad rubbing on the tire. Sort of like I was driving on the rumble strip.
Thoughts? Suggestions?

P.S. The hub/bearing is $160 or so- but there is several examples for $59 from similar "shady" looking web sites. They all use the same photo and web site layout with several different names??? http://www.dieselvw.com/3C0498621WheelBearing.htm for example.

Is this worth the gamble?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I changed one side on my Jetta back in late November. It took me about two hours, start to finish, which included a few phone call interuptions.

I used a press to remove and replace the bearings. I put the new bearing in a freezer before I commenced the job. It pressed right in very easy. Removal of the inner bearing race can be tricky. I used a two-jaw puller. To keep it in place, I used a C-clamp. This process worked very well.

I plan to do the other bearing, tie-rod ends, suspension bushings, rotors, pads and a front end alignment before this month is over.

Murf300

TDI
2006 Jetta DSG
Dougsbug, my problem sounds exactly like yours except mine was worse when I turned the wheel to the right. I replaced my wheel bearing which did NOT fix the problem (not to say that it wouldn't fix yours). I do have a DMF making a lot of racket and am taking the car into the dealer tomorrow. I don't see how they can be related noises though. I will let you know what the outcome is.

Murf300

TDI
2006 Jetta DSG
Just got a call from dealership and was told the noise is the egr cooler which was replaced about a year ago. $1138 to fix. This was just done about a year ago but at another dealership. I don't see how the EGR cooler would be affected by turning the wheel one way or the other. I am going to have to go over there and take a look for myself.

Murf300

TDI
2006 Jetta DSG
EGR cooler is definitely leaking AGAIN! That is not the noise I was hearing. It actually ended up being a front wheel bearing...the right side. The noise definitely sounded like it was coming from the left, and it got worse when I turned to the right which meant it was loading the left front. However, the VW tech put it up on a lift and ran it and said the right side was bad. I paid him for diagnosing it and brought it home and put the bearing I took off of the left side onto the right side. Problem fixed.

Now I have to deal with the EGR cooler. Had it replaced 55,000 miles ago and it is leaking again. You can definitely hear the exhaust whistling out of it. I am going to contact the dealership that did the repair before and see if they will cover any of it. I don't expect them to.

The tech claims the rattling I am hearing is from the EGR cooler and not the DMF. We will see.

hawk1039

TDI
2002 Jetta tdi
I have the same problem as Dougsbug! I have replaced brakes, and put it on jacks to inspect the wheel bearings, not sure which wheel bearing to replace! im not 100% sure its the left front, but it does go away when im in a left hand turn? any suggestions>

SecondtheBest

TDI
2004 Golf
I have this squeak as well. I bought a 2004 Golf last summer and it has gradually been getting worse. As someone else pointed it out, it starts after the car is warmed up, after driving about 20 kms. It's also coming from the drivers side. Not only is it annoying but it's kind of worrying as I do a lot of highway driving. I can't fix these things myself but I'm sure my dad could help. Are these relatively easy things to fix or are they super complicated?
Thanks!

jaslhub

TDI
jetta
I have a 2ooo Jetta TDI that should feel luckly right now that I love the fuel milies cause dang. I have a front end noise I can't figure out to save my life am running out of ideas and money. Rackin pinion been replace and the struts just not the mounts before I bought the car. So front end noise I fix the blown out tie rods knowning that not going to be it its was just good idea to take care of it. Then I replace the strut mounts which was hell to do it thank you old owner for that one. Still being loud going over bump and rough road during driving. The owner actually thought the noise was a broken battery cover lol that funny thought I would throw that in there. Next stop is I replace all the mounts (so I think) that kept the engine in place( Transmission,lower mount and left engine) What was the out come well the good news is that they where in need of replacement. Bad news is where the tnt cause its still making noise. The whole front end suspenion parts look great and was even told by a mechanic they where good. No broken cv boots,ball, etc. Everythings good no noise during turning no nothing am lost in need of help :confused: