Front End Driveline Clunk

zslnk

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI, 3rd gen Cummins 2500, ALH Sedan
I have a PD Jetta 5-speed with 640k-km. The car is well cared for and all normal things have been refreshed in the past. Full suspension, CV joints (GKN), LUK 17-050 clutch, TT control arm bushings, Lemfolder joints, etc.

I have a significant clunk on/off throttle that's at the drivers side front wheel. If you come on/off the throttle when going around a curve (city street, or highway ramp) there is a single loud clunk. It sounds a bit like gear lash. The car doesn't make the sound with the wheels straight ahead and aggressive throttle is applied or removed. Only during curves. The problem isn't new but I'd like to track it down.

The two things I can think of are motor alignment (I have not checked the engine alignment as per the manual yet) and a differential pin failure that I've read a bit about. Is there anything else to check?
Thanks

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I had something similar in my wagon, I found that the roller cage in my CV axle had some bad galling to it causing clunking, and my strut nut was a good 8 turns loose. I had just refreshed my suspension 6 months prior before my clunking started. Since both repairs it's stopped.

zslnk

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI, 3rd gen Cummins 2500, ALH Sedan
The motor alignment looks OK as per the bently manual. If I jack up the drivers side wheel and turn the tire with the car in 1st I get significant motor movement. See below. I have a spare used mount that I may try for troubleshooting purposes.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
The motor alignment looks OK as per the bently manual. If I jack up the drivers side wheel and turn the tire with the car in 1st I get significant motor movement. See below. I have a spare used mount that I may try for troubleshooting purposes.

That thing sounds terrible. I mean even when they are new they aren't totally stiff, but it sounds like you are hitting the aluminum casting against the wall of that bore (also aluminum casting). I think you have a great place to start troubleshooting, if not solve your problem.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Just because it's aligned doesn't mean it isn't loose. That mount looks crazy loose. Change it out.