Front end clunk

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI [buyback completed 14/1/2017] 2006 S65 AMG
Car after 72000 miles started developing a front end clunk. Can't seem to replicate it all the time. I do hear it at slow speed when traversing uneven pavement, or turning over uneven ground. First thought it was ball joint but all seems tight. I haven't had time to check the subframe or sway bar bolts.

Does anyone know what factory torque specs are for the sway bar bolts? I know subframe is TTY so if it's those, I'll have to purchase an aftermarket bolt and collar kit.

Also, a search on the net keeps coming up with some sort of VAG TSB with the following number 2014645, but I can't seem to find an actual TSB for front suspension noise.

schreibers

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI
I'm pretty sure the sway bar bolts are until snug, 25ft lbs or so like the RSB Bracket bolts. The rest of the subframes are are 52ft/lbs + 90 I believe.

As for the TSB about the suspension clunk I could never find anything definite for the JSW, I believe it was for the Passat?

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks guys. I'll put the car on jacks sometime this weekend and see what's going on. The torque specs will help a lot.

P.S. Nice find on that PDF Jay. Will save that for future reference. I'm assuming there's no difference in torque specs for MY2012 and 2013 vehicles?

Last edited:

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2010 JSW - retired
Just be aware that the sub frame bolts are the one time torque bolts. If they are loose and you just tighten them, they will loosen up on you again. The dealer had to replace the bolts with new ones.

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
Just be aware that the sub frame bolts are the one time torque bolts. If they are loose and you just tighten them, they will loosen up on you again. The dealer had to replace the bolts with new ones.
Yup. I know they're TTY bolts. If the subframe bolts are loose, I'll purchase aftermarket bolts with a collar that don't stretch. I think ECS sells something for this.

BTW, if the subframe is shifting, can this cause a major change in front end alignment?

I hit a huge pothole on my way to work on Wednesday morning. As a result, I blew out the right front tire. Bead seperated from rim, releasing all the air. Had to pull over and install the donut.

Yesterday, went to the tire place to see if I could recover the old tire. No go. Sidewall got compromised. I ended up having to purchase 4 new tires (other 3 were at 3/32"). Good news however is that the front right rim seems to be true; just a minor ding at the very edge of the lip. Otherwise, it still holds air and balances fine. I also did a front end alignment because prior to hitting this pothole, noticed that steering wheel was now rotated a few degrees to the left in order to drive straight.

Here's where it gets interesting. About 2 months ago, I had a 4 wheel alignment done in order to take care of some rear camber issues and front toe being OOS. Yesterday's front end alignment shows the rears didn't change much, but front toe, camber, and steer ahead were all off. Steer ahead was actually way off. If memory serves, it was -0.51*. After alignment, toe and steer ahead were corrected. Steer ahead is now -0.01* which is good. Didn't mess with the camber or caster as while they'd changed, still remained within factory specs. Camber can be adjusted by moving the subframe - which goes back to my earlier question.

BTW, car does drift to the right in the right lane, and stays pretty much put in the center and left lanes. Steering wheel is straight. I figured the drift can be attributed to road crown. I'll have to test on a flat parking lot to verify.

I hate pot holes. :mad:

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2010 JSW - retired
Good question amstel78. Not really sure to be honest. I know that when the dealer replaced the bolts they did not do an alignment and I haven't heard any of the people who have replaced their own subframe bolts have to do an alignment. My guess would be that it can affect alignment just wouldn't know how much :(