FRONT END BUMPER COVER (Bra)

RARROYO

TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
I have a 2015 Golf Sportwagen and unsure if I should buy a front end nose cover (bra) type to protect the front bumper and hood or try the new technology 3m tape on the front? I would greatly appreciate any advice or recommendations. I am also from the northeast, where it snows.
Thank you

whatnxt

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Q5 TDI Premium +
Have had the 3M clear bra on the front of my Golf (United Grey, bumper, 1/2 hood/fenders and lights) for 5 years in the PNW with no issues other than a few nicks from rocks. A little $$ but does great. Easier than putting on and taking off one of the cloth bras and the lights are covered.

AlcoC420

Veteran Member
TDI
We had a bra on our '10 TDI JSW and I'd not buy another.

The bra slowly cracked the top of each headlight. The inner lip of the bra is doubled-over stitched fabric and with the hood closed, the lip is mashed tightly against the top of the headlights and cracks resulted.

Additionally, the strap inside the engine bay runs across the width of the hood and over the years it abraded the engine cover. Not a big deal for some, but I like a clean engine bay and the permanent rub marks on the engine cover look bad.

We are likely stepping up to paint protection film on our new Golf Wolfsburg. Covering a portion of the hood, adjacent fender front edges and the rear bumper area below the hatchback to protect from luggage damage was locally quoted installed at $300.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I have 3M xpel bras on my '99.5 (new paint), '02 (repaint after rust repair) and my new '15 GSW. I find that repaints, even good quality ones, aren't nearly as durable as original paint, and the clear bra is pretty important here in New England to preserve the front of the car.

They're not cheap, but if you plan to keep the car more than a few years they're worth it, IMO. I plan to keep my TDIs as long as I can so it's a good investment.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I did. My detailer did it. It was bundled in with the detail and my detailer gives me a discount, so I'm not sure of the cost, but I think retail for xpel is $800 or so.

whatnxt

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Q5 TDI Premium +
Had mine professionally done. No issues. Cost $450 but that included the the front bumper, fenders and 1/2 hood, lights (main and fogs), door handle cups, mirrors, rear bumper, front window pillars and the section from the top of the windshield to the sun roof.

My brother had the same done on his '13 Golf but had the complete hood done. Looks great to. No issues and used the same 3M product.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
There are a variety of 3M products for this application. xpel is the newest. I have another type on my wagon which seems fine but is harder to clean, especially removing bugs.

RARROYO

TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
Xpel

Thank you all for your advice. I just got quoted $750.00 for the xpel product installed front bumper, partial hood, partial fenders, and mirrors. The kit itself cost$395.00, basically $350.00 for labor. Does this sound like a good deal?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Sounds like the going rate. People will tell you to install it yourself, but I wouldn't trust myself to not mess it up.

RARROYO

TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
Agreed, they say it's about a 3-4 hour job, so if it takes the 'professional installers' this much time, I'm probably going to double their time. I hate to pay for something that I know I can do myself but I ask, if it's worth my time or just paying to have it done correctly with a guarantee?

aditud

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
The one I sold back to VW had one installed when I bought it. In time it did turn slightly yellow. Also, I found that it did not protect much, except from minor scratches. But the bigger pebbles/rocks hurled at me by highway trucks (long highway commute for me) had no problems getting through and chipping the paint. Will not do it for my new TDI. I'll try to drive more carefully and stay away from the big trucks.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Since you didn't have it installed it's difficult to determine what was on there. I wouldn't damn all clear bras based on what may have been some inexpensive dealer "accessory" added to the car when new. Bras made of correct 3M materials will not let stones chip the finish underneath, and won't yellow.

aditud

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
Since you didn't have it installed it's difficult to determine what was on there. I wouldn't damn all clear bras based on what may have been some inexpensive dealer "accessory" added to the car when new. Bras made of correct 3M materials will not let stones chip the finish underneath, and won't yellow.
You're right, I don't know if it was 3M or not.

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
We had a bra on our '10 TDI JSW and I'd not buy another.

The bra slowly cracked the top of each headlight. The inner lip of the bra is doubled-over stitched fabric and with the hood closed, the lip is mashed tightly against the top of the headlights and cracks resulted.
What brand is this product?

larrydk

Veteran Member
TDI
Sportwagen
I've used the formfit hood protector from new on my 2015 GSW. Actually replaced the original this past summer