Front end alignment, Panzer plate no longer fits

bobpaul

TDI
sold :'( (formerly 2002 jetta tdi)
So I just did balljoints and control arm bushings on my '02 Jetta. Afterwards, I had Goodyear do an alignment check and ultimately align the front end. I left the panzer plate off when I brought it over for the alignment, which might have been a mistake.

Looking at the bentley, it seems the alignment procedure involves adjusting the subframe. Of course, the back corners of the panzer plate mount to the subframe. Now the thing no longer fits well. Should I try and drill the slots at the front of the panzer plate longer to give it more room, or is this indicitive of the alignment job being done incorrectly and I should take it back? Or is there something else I can do?

bobpaul

TDI
sold :'( (formerly 2002 jetta tdi)
I honestly don't know. The instructions in the Bentley for adjusting front axel camber show this drawing
with 2 steps: move the subframe to equalize camber on both sides, secure the subframe with new bolts to these torque specs. (1 and 2 point to the 4 bolts that get removed/replaced)

I guess I'll have to get back under there tonight and see if this picture even depicts the stuff the panzer plate connects to.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yes, you can equalize the camber by shifting the subframe, but typically that is only necessary if something really got knocked out of whack.

The skidplates rear mounting points attach to holes in the subframe (holes are already present from the factory for this purpose). You may have to loosen the front skidplate mounting pedestals slightly, get all the bolts started in the plate, then tighten them evenly and uniformly.