Front Door Sagging on Golf Mk4(A4)

ukguy

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Golf MK6 1.6 TDI Bluemotion Match
Hi all.

My front drivers side door is beginning to sag when opening it. It's visually noticeable when you look at the alignment of the top of the aft side of the door against the passenger door contour. It's getting so bad that upon closer inspection I can see the drivers door just 'kissing' the top of the passenger door when closing. What stops a big impact is the lock catch forcing the door to a level where it will close properly. But it's not doing it soon enough to prevent paint chips up at the top.

Is there any way of adjusting the alignment ever so slightly by undoing bolts anywhere (for instance the hinges)? For your info' my Golf is a '99 GT TDi.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

jddaigle

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI Anymore
The hinge bolts are behind the trim below the dashboard. Take off the trim and you'll be able to see them. You're probably right that the sagging is caused by loose/slipping bolts.

ukguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks a lot for the reply.

Is there any HOW TO on how to attempt this at all please? Last time I took trim apart I managed to break bits!

tdi369

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 golf white
i have the same problem with both door of my 99.5 golf. i have a 2 door. the upper corner was hitting the door frame and paint starting to chip off. this is what i did. i removed the bottom hinge and placed a thin aluminum shim. you need a 8mm (?)triple square torx.

ukguy

Veteran Member
TDI
i removed the bottom hinge and placed a thin aluminum shim. you need a 8mm (?)triple square torx.
Thanks for the reply. When you say you put a shim there, how would that increase the clearance on the top corner? The only way I can see any rectification for this problem is to somehow move the bottom hinge maybe more rearwards, or the top one frontwards.

If you can give me any more hints or a step by step guide it would be appreciated.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Your car's probably too new for this, but...

When my last Jetta had about 550,000 km on it and had a sagging driver's door, I saw a body shop "adjust" it by putting a 6 foot length of 2x4 on top of the rear part of the door sill (rocker panel), closing the door partway so that the wood is under the rear part of the door, and using it to "persuade" the door to be more upright...

Take it for what it's worth...

Yuri.

ukguy

Veteran Member
TDI
...putting a 6 foot length of 2x4 on top of the rear part of the door sill (rocker panel), closing the door partway so that the wood is under the rear part of the door, and using it to "persuade" the door to be more upright...
Hi Yuri,

Thanks for the reply there. I have already considered this and then I dismissed it on the grounds that I may damage the door somewhat. I know the door is strong, but is the skin at the bottom of the door on recent cars that strong? My car is on 95K miles now so I can see how the drivers door would be causing problems, as opposed to every other door that gets a lot less use!

Here is the problem in question...

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
It's certainly not the Kosher way to fix this, and I would hope that 1st class mechanics/body shops wouldn't use it, but I know that 2nd tier (ok, make that 3rd rate) do use this roughshod method - usually when you're not watching...

In my old cars it was wear in the hinge that caused the sagging.

Good luck,

Yuri.

ukguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes I can see that. I think a lot of it is in the mind when it comes to these rather crude ways of doing it, especially with cars we love and enjoy. Now if I didn't see such pain being inflicted on my car and it coming away feeling better, I'd be much happier

Anyway, I will be taking it down to my local bodyshop most probably at some point..

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
Is there bolts on the hinge or something that can be replaced to get it back to it's original position?
I have the same issue, but it isn't too bad.

ukguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi, yes there are bolts on the hinge...but I was informed that they can not be adjusted. In the end I took it to a local bodshop and they used brute force to bring the door up a bit. To further help, I adjusted the striker plate slightly so the door rests in a slightly higher position when closed. Job done. Time will tell now whether it did the trick!

brucep

Veteran Member
TDI
peebs4u2
The motto of this thread is KEEP YOUR DOOR HINGES LUBRICATED!!

I learned that lesson on my first vehicle (1976 Chevy Blazer) and now make it a habit to lube all the hinges (door, trunk, hood...etc) at least 2 times a year. Even better -- every time you are waiting for the oil to drain, LUBE THE DOOR HINGES.

If you have a 2-door vehicle, be even more dilligent with the lube.

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
ukguy said:
Hi, yes there are bolts on the hinge...but I was informed that they can not be adjusted. In the end I took it to a local bodshop and they used brute force to bring the door up a bit. To further help, I adjusted the striker plate slightly so the door rests in a slightly higher position when closed. Job done. Time will tell now whether it did the trick!

How did it hold up?