Front Control Arm Bushings Replacement

tdihopeful

Veteran Member
TDI
03 2dr 5sp Golf
The bushings on the front lower control arms are cracked. I have ordered new bushings but they look pretty hard to replace. I'll plan on watching a video on this if I can find one.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
The bushings on the front lower control arms are cracked. I have ordered new bushings but they look pretty hard to replace. I'll plan on watching a video on this if I can find one.
If it's the rear bushing on the LCA, It's not hard if you have a hydraulic press. Just need an assortment of metal pipe to be able to press out the bushing

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
tdiclub.com legend @Wingnut has a great how-to posted here; unfortunately, the photo-hosting site he was using went bust and took all images down with it, so no photos to illustrate the process, but still a good description.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Even if you don’t have a press , but you have a decent vise you can do it that way too. Again large sockets or short sections of pipe work great to press them out. I’ve done several that way.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Sawzall to cut the rubber the rest of the way through to get rid of the centre section. Then sawall to make a perpendicular cut through the soft aluminum outer wall/shell of the bushing; once you get most of the way through you can knock it out with a hammer hitting a screwdriver on the aluminum near the cut.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Did you get the TT bushings? I did and i love them.

To knock the old ones out hammer a screw driver in between the metal bushing band and the control arm they'll practically fall out. Putting new ones in can be a pain, but as previously mentioned a socket and a vice work good. Get yourself a hammer to pound on that vice handle tho because these bushings are tight!

fatmobile

Veteran Member
TDI
an ALH M-TDI in a MK2, a 2000 Jetta
I drill out the rubber,
cut the aluminum ring from the inside with a hacksaw,.. hadn't thought of just driving a screwdriver between it and the control arm.
But it is soft aluminum so it should work.
I used a piece of allthread and nuts/washers to draw the new one in.
An old Rabbit front wheel bearing outer race and fat washers worked great on the control arm side.
And an old Rabbit diesel intermediate shaft seal carrier and fat washers was used to press it in.
Easy/cheap.

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
I push the front ones out with a gear puller. I have a bolt with a dimple drilled in the head to keep the puller centered. I finish pushing the new ones in the same way after starting them in a vice.
I knock the rears out with an air chisel. I start them in the vice with a piece of round stock with a hole in the center, as mentioned the right size pipe or socket will work. I then finish them with the vice only doing a little at a time and working my way around the bushing.