Freshly chipped w/Unitronic

v70rsik

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI..soon TDI
I picked up my 06 Jetta TDI (09/06) last friday with 4200km on the odometer, I was pretty happy with the stock performance but coming from a 1.8t I needed just a bit more. Since I live in Montreal and know the guys from Unitronic fairly well, I stoped in to see what kind of torque these oil burners can really put out. I went with the stage 1 program for now (upgrades are available for a small fee) to get a small taste. Holy moly am I impressed. The most impressice i found was cruising at around 50km/h in 3rd gear and mashing the throttle. You get instant response along with a surge of power similar to that if an airplane taking off. I thought my 198whp/230wtq GTI pulled hard at low-end, but its VERY diffrent....completely lagless. I cant wait to feel the stage 1+ this summer.

Going from 95 hp and 174 lb-ft of torque
to 125 hp and 243 lb-feet is quite a diffrence.

Oh yeah...no smoke. :)

Here is a dyno from a car running the same file take from a thread that KDOT-TDI started a while ago.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=131802&highlight=unitronic

Last edited:

monas

TDI
none yet
hey V70, i am thinking about getting my 05 chipped with them. how come you didnt go with the higher power output of the 1+? dod you have any mods done other than the chip? i have a buddy that has a 1.8t that is chipped with APR. i have driven that, how does the unitronic compare to a chipped 1.8t? i know it isnt going to be faster, just trying to get a point of common refrence.
congrats on the chip, glad to hear that you are happy with it. i have been hesitant to get the chip with them because i cant seem to find much about them on the forums. i have only seen a handful of people reporting on how the tune performs. i am still bouncing back and forth between RC2 and the Unitronic higher stock tune.
Thanks
Monas

v70rsik

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI..soon TDI
monas said:
hey V70, i am thinking about getting my 05 chipped with them. how come you didnt go with the higher power output of the 1+? dod you have any mods done other than the chip? i have a buddy that has a 1.8t that is chipped with APR. i have driven that, how does the unitronic compare to a chipped 1.8t? i know it isnt going to be faster, just trying to get a point of common refrence.
congrats on the chip, glad to hear that you are happy with it. i have been hesitant to get the chip with them because i cant seem to find much about them on the forums. i have only seen a handful of people reporting on how the tune performs. i am still bouncing back and forth between RC2 and the Unitronic higher stock tune.
Thanks
Monas
I went with the stage 1 becuase the car is still running the break-in oil. As soon as the spring hits and i do my first oil change they will load the more agressive program. I had a unitronic chipped 1.8t before (198whp and 230wtq on an otherwise completely stock car) and the low end is more powerful than that. Once the revs go up, the TDI dies out but MUCH less then it did in stock form..there still is some pull till redline.

the uni stg1+ is in the 160hp range with over 300tq. Should be pretty fun. :) All on stock injectors.

monas

TDI
none yet
that is for the 2.0 TDI correct? i wonder what the numbers will be on the 1.9L. it has been driving me crazy that i cant seem to find any information as to what the numbers will be for a 1.9L (100hp) TDI PD :(. according to Unitronics website +29hp and +37torque isnt really that great for the $450 price tag when RC2 is putting down much better numbers for way less.
the more i think about it unless i see something that tells me otherwise (numbers for a 1.9L w/Stage1+) i am going to probably go with RC2.

thanks for the reply, cant wait to see your report on the stage 1+

Monas

Last edited:

v70rsik

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI..soon TDI
monas said:
that is for the 2.0 TDI correct? i wonder what the numbers will be on the 1.9L. it has been driving me crazy that i cant seem to find any information as to what the numbers will be for a 1.9L (100hp) TDI PD :(.

thanks for the reply, cant wait to see your report on the stage 1+

Monas
No..my car is a 1.9L PD100

monas

TDI
none yet
:eek: reeeeaaallllyyy, well then as i posted before, this changes things. looks like i may be giving the Unitronic a bit more consideration. just out of curiosity(sp) where did you get the numbers for the stage 1+ tune? i have been looking all over the forums and the net and couldnt find anything close to those.

Thanks for the info;
Monas

joevat

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI PD
160 hp and 300 tq is crap while on stock exhaust/SMIC/injectors/ intake/etc.. going with all that power is just a waste of money. its all going to be crank numbers, not wheel.
take it from me, im killing infinity g35's like their toys now. couldnt do it before off stock exhaust/intake/injectors/smic.

1995vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Spice Red 5SPD PD
joevat said:
160 hp and 300 tq is crap while on stock exhaust/SMIC/injectors/ intake/etc.. going with all that power is just a waste of money. its all going to be crank numbers, not wheel.
take it from me, im killing infinity g35's like their toys now. couldnt do it before off stock exhaust/intake/injectors/smic.
Buddy Lets get this straight your taking g35's
lots of G35

thenewguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 TDI Sportwagen, 2000 Jetta GLS TDI
Are you kidding me? I seriously doubt that you are in a position to take a G35 with a competent driver behind the wheel anywhere but from behind. Far behind. ;) Then again, maybe I could be wrong, but I'd like to see some proof.

1995vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Spice Red 5SPD PD
thenewguy said:
Are you kidding me? I seriously doubt that you are in a position to take a G35 with a competent driver behind the wheel anywhere but from behind. Far behind. ;) Then again, maybe I could be wrong, but I'd like to see some proof.
Trust me i drove my MK3 GTI VR6 with chip, Intake cat back exhaust U/O pullies gutted manifold and fidanza flywheel and a stage 3 clutch.

I had a head start and the 280HP version still pulled on me roughly 3-4 cars

monas

TDI
none yet
ok, well i am back to square one :(. does ANYONE know what REAL numbers can be obtained from the Unitronic Stage 1+ on a stock TDI PD (w/boost control and boost gauge)? this is starting to drive me nuts!! i may just say the hell with it and go with the RC2. i know that is proven and is worth the money.

Monas

Last edited:

1995vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Spice Red 5SPD PD
monas said:
ok, well i am back to square one :(. does ANYONE know what REAL numbers can be obtained from the Unitronic Stage 1+ on a stock TDI PD (w/boost control and boost gauge)? this is starting to drive me nuts!! i may just say the hell with it and go with the RC2. i know that is proven and is worth the money.

Monas
I second that also cause i am interested in somethiing for now until i do it big

joevat

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI PD
thenewguy said:
come here and i'll prove it. i dont lie. thats why people doubt, cuz most peoples power and mods are wasted at the crank and not used at the wheels which i strive to do. look at my avatar and look into my eyes. i dont lie.:cool:

1995vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Spice Red 5SPD PD
joevat said:
come here and i'll prove it. i dont lie. thats why people doubt, cuz most peoples power and mods are wasted at the crank and not used at the wheels which i strive to do. look at my avatar and look into my eyes. i dont lie.:cool:
Well if you did race how did you race was it first 2 gears if so if it was highway you wouldve got pumped

GuyGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Comfortline DSG
a 2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe can run a 14.2

60 feet, 150 feet, 500 feet maybe but after that BEU BYE!!!

monas where are you located? if your in Montreal, check with the quebec forum, couple guys run Unitronic over there, there's also Red Rotors who has Mikro tuning IIRC wich i think is or is like Aligator tuning

monas

TDI
none yet
Thanks for the input Guyguy, i will check the forums for those areas and see what they say, but i am a little far away from them. i live in Melbourne FL. i like it nice and warm ;)

v70rsik

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI..soon TDI
joevat said:
125 hp and 243 lb-feet is what i have at the wheels with the stage 1. My injectors are far from maxxed out. The mk5 cars also have a huge Front mount intercooler. 125hp and 243lb/ft is 143hp and 280tq. This is on a mustang dyno and they are known to be conservative.

Eitherway..it pulls much better then stock. Ill never mod my car as much as you did and for someone like me...the power diffrence is enormous. Can't wait till stg 1+.

Are you saying its pointless to chip a car unless you install exhaust, injectors, etc...?

Last edited:

v70rsik

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI..soon TDI
monas said:

Monas
Monas.. if the stage 1 is 145hp and 280tq...the 1+ is easily 160 and over 300 at the crank. Lookk at Joevats, mod list. Theres no question that with all the mods he had..the uni program will be quicker than without those mods.

Last edited:

monas

TDI
none yet
v70, thanks for the reply;
im sorry this post turned into a flame war with that one guy. so do you have a mkV, with the FMIC? or do you have a mkIV with SMIC, excuse my ignorance if you stated that someplace and i missed it.
i am just trying to get my facts straight :)

you dyno'd 125 hp and 243 lb-feet at the wheels, with a 1.9l PD with SMIC or FMIC?
so how is your traction in 1st ans 2nd gears? do the wheels break loose on you fairly easily, or do you still have good traction with WOT?

thanks for all your help
Monas

Last edited:

v70rsik

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI..soon TDI
monas said:
v70, thanks for the reply;
im sorry this post turned into a flame war with that one guy. so do you have a mkV, with the FMIC? or do you have a mkIV with SMIC, excuse my ignorance if you stated that someplace and i missed it.
i am just trying to get my facts straight :)

you dyno'd 125 hp and 243 lb-feet at the wheels, with a 1.9l PD with SMIC or FMIC?
so how is your traction in 1st ans 2nd gears? do the wheels break loose on you fairly easily, or do you still have good traction with WOT?

thanks for all your help
Monas
I have an mk5 with FMIC (stock). Yes 125hp and 243 at the wheels on a mustang dyno with my file, but the dyno posted is from another car...but those are the figures. It is -10 degrees celcius here and the streets are snowy and icey so i lose traction in 4th. But yes, the way this car behaves, there is no question that 1st and second will spin right through.

joevat

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI PD
v70rsik said:
Are you saying its pointless to chip a car unless you install exhaust, injectors, etc...?
not at all. but dont look at the numbers only. just because it says 140hp and 300tq, doesnt mean thats what your actually gonna be using. i didnt know the mk5 tdi have a FMIC, thats awesome.

v70rsik

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI..soon TDI
joevat said:
not at all. but dont look at the numbers only. just because it says 140hp and 300tq, doesnt mean thats what your actually gonna be using.
Sure it does. Thats what the car puts out.. dynos test the output of that car. and shows the power that car "uses".

You car will dyno more cause it has a more agressive tune with other upgraded parts.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
monas said:
Unitronics is also proven and is also worth the money.

Doesn't matter who is doing the programming, they are dealing with the same hardware and the same limitations. The end result at the end of the day isn't going to be much different. Keep in mind that if "stage 1" (not much smoke, not much more stress than stock on the turbo, within limits of stock clutch) is not enough, then "stage 1+" (more smoke, more stress on the turbo, probably will slip the stock clutch) is more, and if that's not enough, you'll be replacing hardware (as joevat has already done).

I should mention that from what I've seen with mine, there is absolutely no need for a mechanical boost controller at all.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
monas said:
Thanks for the input Guyguy, i will check the forums for those areas and see what they say, but i am a little far away from them. i live in Melbourne FL. i like it nice and warm ;)
Aye ... if that's the case, you are better off dealing with an American supplier. In our case (Canada) we are better off dealing with OUR local supplier.

monas

TDI
none yet
the thing that is causing such a delima is that i have heard very good things about RC but i would have to ship my ECU off to have that done.
i would like to get the Unitronic, but i would like to see some numbers from a MkIV. its hard to tell what i am going to get as far as power goes. the numbers on the MkV are great, but i dont have the nice FMIC :(.

does anyone have any info on what the MkIV TDI's are able to put down with the Unitronic stage 1+?

thanks for all the info guys, please keep it coming
Monas

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
So, wait, you're making your transmission more efficient?

Welded diff? That's all I can think of beyond making it a one-speed trans...

Or did you install a turbonatorz on your trans, as well?

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
joevat said:
then i guess i run a 13.9 :D
Or you could take your car to a drag strip. They lie less than dynos and they never back off. You could race your car their and I could race my car here and we could come up with numbers that could be usefully compared.

A drag stip will never lie in your favor. But now if your car didnt turn in something faster than 14.2 we could just blame that on driver error because your car is defenitely G35 eating fast!

To the OP.... Just chip it. Its a happy decision you wont regret no matter which tuner you go with. I also agree with going local. You want someone who can provide you with good support and can help with your future needs when you start changing stuff.