Fresh rebuild runs then stalls out

Wigstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh
I just freshly assembled my engine with brm pistons and Molnar rods into my alh 1.9. the head has been polished and a cam installed along with all new hardware valves springs retainers seals etc. All this work was done by very reputable TDI guy and was performed with the utmost accuracy. So I bled the fuel system and got the vehicle to fire I also have a lift pump in the tank which made that a lot easier but now it starts it runs for a few minutes and then it like chugs itself out not due to fuel almost like it's wanting to lock up but immediately after it shuts down I can go up and turn the crank by hand with a ratchet of course it is hard but it does move and I can rotate it as many times as I would like no problem. all clearances were within spec each ring Gap starting with cylinder one was 016 two was 016 three was 016 and four 018. The orientation Of rings was set like a y upside down 120° offset of each other. All the clearances were from a Bentley manual. I shot each cylinder with a heat gun to get an idea cylinder one was $149° cylinder 2 was 130 cylinder 3was 127 cylinder 4 was 130. The car will restart within a few cranks every time it does seem like it is lacking fuel or sucking air from somewhereIt is new filter and also added a cooler for the fuel it is on the return line. Just looking for some advice before I go ahead and waste a bunch of money like an idiot if it involves ripping the engine totally down again so be it better safe than sorry but all clearances are perfect within spec

Last edited:

Wigstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh
I thought the same thing but nope all good. I think I might have figured it out I'm doing a four motion swap and I piped the fuel line to the other side of the tank but I did not put fuel on that side of the tank so I think it is sucking air through that line also I need to recalibrate the veins in the turbo but I had to rip it apart because it was not welded properly it is a hybrid turbo 1756 GTB

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen, 2021 Atlas,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
You didn't post if was fixed or not.

You may be trying to pull fuel from the tanks return port.
Maybe try providing fuel from a bottle and two hoses hanging above the engine.
Bleed the system and see if it keeps running.

Wigstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh
Yea I figured it out the cam was graphite coded because it is stage 2 and new and I did not sand the coating off behind the wheel it was slowly working its way out of time I caught it before it hit the Pistons and ruined the head also had no oil pressure the housing must have been plugged up got a new one on the way